+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 43 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Defiance Free-to-Play Arrives June 4!

Ark hunters,

Fuel up your roller and stock up on ammo because your world is about to get a whole lot bigger: just in time for Season 2 of the Syfy series, an entire planet’s worth of EGO users, arkfall chasers, and most importantly Defiance fans are joining the fray!

Today we’re excited to announce that Trion Worlds’ post-apocalyptic massively co-op online cyberwestern shooter will be adding a new descriptor to its already meaty description: Defiance is going to become free-to-play. Starting June 4 on PC and mid-July on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, players will be able to download the Defiance client and experience the entire Bay Area storyline, original end-game content, and future missions completely for free. This may be cause for some concern from our current ark hunters, and that’s understandable as we haven’t detailed how we’re going to treat you, our frontier pioneers, like the wasteland kings and queens you are.

You’ll be glad to hear that all Defiance owners (existing badland adventurers such as yourselves) will enjoy more of everything than the greenhorns emerging from dropships and taking their first shaky footsteps in the Bay Area. You’ll continue to enjoy more character slots, loadouts, ark keycode capacity, and inventory slots than free-to-play accounts. For those looking to expand what they already have, we’ll even be offering increases to these limits.

Additionally, all players who purchased a boxed or digital copy of Defiance will receive a one-time grant of 1,000 Arkforge, redeemable for resetting weapon mastery, upgrading your weapon’s power rating, or even bumping an uncommon weapon to epic rarity. But we’re not done yet! Our veteran ark hunters will also enjoy 30 days of Paradise Patron status when Defiance begins its free-to-play service. Paradise Patrons receive:
    • Boosts to skill, XP, scrip, salvage, and reputation gain rates that stack with boosts available in the store.
    • 10% store-wide discount on boosts, costumes, lock boxes – all of it!
    • A daily grab bag of two-hour boosts.
    • Arkforge from Daily and Weekly Ark Hunter Bonus Lock Boxes. (Playing on Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3? Be sure to link your account to get this bonus!)
    With RIFT, ArcheAge, and Trove, our free-to-play policy is simple: “No Tricks, No Traps” – and you better believe Defiance will follow that mantra as well. That means we aren’t designing Defiance in such a way where spending real-world money in the game’s store is necessary to progress or to win. Look forward to free crossover content throughout Season 2!

Still have questions about this change? Be sure to tune in to our Twitch livestream on Friday where Creative Lead Trick Dempsey and Senior Community Relations Manager Evan “Scapes” Berman field questions you have about what this means for the game and our development plans moving forward. We’ve also published a detailed comparison of benefits veteran adventurers will enjoy versus new recruits. Lastly, we have lots planned for Defiance once free-to-play arrives and look forward to revealing what’s in store!

Welcome to the new age of freedom, veteran ark hunters! We’re glad you’re with us for this next chapter in the story of Defiance. Paradise is about to get an arkfall’s worth of new residents!

Read the full article on the website.
    "Nothing reveals humanity so well as the games it plays."

Defiance officially going free to play

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/05/...ay-this-summer

We pretty much all saw this coming. Not sure it really changes much. Maybe this will bring more players this summer.
    PC-NA Character name - Dod
    ironcladtrash - my account on all platforms; Steam, Xbox Live, PSN, Origin, Defiance

Once again... an outside source is the first to break the news.

Vomit.
    Give me a break.

So anyone who buys the game new now gets an extra 1k Arkforge?
    What about us?

And wtf is this about Arkforge:

"even bumping an uncommon weapon to epic rarity."
    I can give blue weapons purple rolls?!
    "I would be embarrassed for my company if that was the clownshoe representing it."
    GT: Lucent Beam / IGN: Lux Anyar: 5900+ / Bryndi 2800ish [NA 360]
    Legendaries Shop 3900-5836 EGO ~100ish items

I throw my hands up in the air sometimes, Sayin' Triiiiiion, don't break Defiiiiiance.

I'm not gonna be shy - here's the actual text from the IGN article, which also has direct quotes from Trick Dempsey:

Pretty disgusting. Season pass holders and purchasers of the game got 1000 arkforge so now it's FREE? WTF kind of slap in the face is that? WHERE IS KIWI? We are being ABUSED!
    __________________________________________________ _________________________________

Creative lead Trick Dempsey told IGN, "Different partners move at different speeds,” so the free-to-play update will roll out on PC on June 4, with console updates following later in the year. Trion anticipates a July 15 update for PlayStation 3, while the studio is "currently discussing details about the Xbox 360 release."

“Yes, we make less from the customer" with this plan, Dempsey said. "We don’t want to be that guy," he continued, explaining that many studios do free to play in a way that is “largely exploitative.”

Check out the full rundown below to see what changes when Defiance changes its pricing model this summer.

Players who purchase a new box or digital copy of Defiance are granted the following bonuses:
    • A grant of 1,000 Arkforge, a currency redeemable for resetting weapon mastery, upgrading your weapon’s power rating, or even bumping an uncommon weapon to epic rarity.
    • 4 Character Slots, 5 Loadouts, up to 75 Ark Keycodes, and a minimum 70 Inventory Slots.
    • They will also enjoy thirty days of Paradise Patron status when Defiance begins its free-to-play service.
    Paradise Patrons (those who spend money in the game's store to unlock a Patron Pass) are granted:
    • Boosts to skill, XP, scrip, salvage, and reputation gain rates that stack with the matching boosts available in the store.
    • 10% store-wide discount – boosts, costumes, lock boxes, all of it!
    • A grab bag of one-hour boosts or Arkforge from Daily and Weekly Ark Hunter Bonus Lock Boxes.

Season Pass content will still require a fee, however. "That content is not going to become free," Dempsey said. "DLCs are still the same objects they were when they were released to the public initially." However, the entirety of Defiance's Bay Area content and endgame will be available for free when the model changes this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucent View Post
    Vomit.
    Give me a break.

So anyone who buys the game new now gets an extra 1k Arkforge?
    What about us?

And wtf is this about Arkforge:

I can give blue weapons purple rolls?!
    Arkforge looks to be the main way Trion expects to earn money from the bit store. Even though I think it's way overpriced at the moment. They did say they were looking for ways to let us ark forge. I like it, I have a couple of purples I would love to upgrade to legendary if they make it possible and not just blue to purple. Maybe one day we can pick our own stats.
    PC-NA Character name - Dod
    ironcladtrash - my account on all platforms; Steam, Xbox Live, PSN, Origin, Defiance

My favorite part - denial much?

Yes, we make less from the customer" with this plan, Dempsey said. "We don’t want to be that guy," he continued, explaining that many studios do free to play in a way that is “largely exploitative".

Very disappointed that our own CMs didn't bring this news first. net confidence loss.

I said this would occur. I also said it was a smart move on the part of TRION. They make little off the sale of the game at this point, it makes perfect monetary sense for them to expand their customer base by going F2P, and milking suckers in the bits store.

I'm concerned about this "PATRON PASS"!!! This had better be awarded to anyone who previously purchased the game.

TRION needs to monetize Defiance in a way that will allow them to sustain and expand it (if they choose not to just take the money and run). Don't forget the tshirt sales at around $20 a pop, with a huge profit margin!

I'd actually like to see Defiance not only succeed, but grow. Ultimately, if there were enuff growth and user base, perhaps they could fix the issues and port this to XBOX ONE. I'd love to see a more stable version on the nextgen platforms minus everybody looking like general Steve.
    XBOX, NA, DAWN PATROL (recruit for life!)

Quote Originally Posted by ironcladtrash View Post
    Arkforge looks to be the main way Trion expects to earn money from the bit store. Even though I think it's way overpriced at Jayne moment. They did say they were looking for ways to let us ark forge. I like it, I have a couple of purples I would love to upgrade to legendary if they make it possible and not just blue to purple. Maybe one day we can pick our own stats.
    LESS (much less!) RNG, better mod weapon options, and more outfits with reasonable pricing in the bits store would go a long way to securing profit for TRION. Of course that's not what will be focused on :P
    XBOX, NA, DAWN PATROL (recruit for life!)

Hang on, SCAPES got something to say:

http://forums.defiance.com/showthrea...721&viewfull=1