+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Simple Warmaster Guide

Simple Warmaster Guide:

I wanted to write a guide to help out in the hunt of the Warmaster. The goal of this guide is to promote more successful runs. So what is a successful run? The run is a success if the Warmaster is killed no matter what your score is. Why do we want to kill the Warmaster? So we have the opportunity to get some very cool and rare legendary weapons (Needlers, Breachers, and Springers among others) that only drop in kill as well as you receive an additional 15,000+ points to your score which mean more Keys, more Arkforge, and more loot.

So I wrote this guide not with individual score as the primary goal but a successful kill as the primary goal. However, if you follow the recommendations in this guide and with practice you will be able to pull your weight and score very well.

That said how do we go about defeating the Warmaster?

1. Get Organized. What does this mean? You need to organize groups ahead of time before the arkbreak is called down. One strategy can be seen here. Another is holding off killing the Volge upstairs until you have the ideal number of people for the instance. Or you need to be fast at inviting friends, clanmates and group members when you are inside the instance. If you need more people call for help from friends or your clan (or myself if you are on PC NA: IGN=Logain). You can invite friends from outside to join you via group but the limit is back to 24 people after patch 3.0.

There is less of an opportunity to zerg the Warmaster to death, so proper setup and technique is needed to defeat the WM.

2. Turn Team chat on. So you can talk with other people in the instance. (Esc -> Settings -> Chat.)

3. Turn Damage numbers on. So you can see how much damage you are doing. (I love it when my Wolfhound starts hitting for 130,000+ per shot) (Settings -> Gameplay -> Show Damage Numbers -> On.)

4. Agree beforehand to shoot one target crystal armor (either the WM's right arm (hanging) or the back). I currently recommend the back but it can be done with the arm.

5. Choose a high DPS weapon (like a VOT Pulser, Castithan Springer, VOT Tachmag Pulser, Hog Leg, Needler etc.) with either fire, radiation or bio nano close to your ego. SMGs benefit greatly with a falloff mod and I highly recommend it if you are space averse. However, a DMG barrel and staying within 20m of the WM will maximize your DMG output. Shoot your high DPS weapon until the crystal armor breaks.

6. For the other weapon choose a high Crit DPS weapon (like the VBI HP-6 Wolfhound or VBI HP-7 Wildcat) ideally with fire or radiation (to increase damage and group DPS) close to your ego. Although syphon will help you stay alive if you die a lot. A VBI SS-2 Ranger is also a high crit DPS weapon but suffers from having a limited ammo pool. So I recommend using the Wolfhound. Shoot your high Crit DPS weapon at the crit spot after the crystal armor breaks.

7. Perks: Choose Overcharge, Quick Charge and Killing Machine Perks. Also equip Blast Shield, and Sucker Punch (for back attack). Fortitude and Kill or Be Killed work well together. Choose the rest of your perks to keep you alive (Thick Skinned for example) but also focus on crit damage perks. Some examples: Nano damage increasing perks from (DLC5) can increase DPS for guns with that nano (i.e. Radiation Burns, Conflagration, Deadly Apparition etc.). Gunslinger works well shooting from the hip. Pumped Up and Kinetic Transfer is also very useful to recharge EGO power. Description of perks can be found here. The selection of perks that I use are in the next post.

8. Choose Damage spikes and Power stims unless your group needs more protection or ammo spikes. Or choose ablative armor stim to survive bombings during the bomb phase.

9. Use spikes liberally when the Warmaster is hanging from the wall, but do not be wasteful by covering an area with the same kind of spike that has already been put down. Cover another area of players with it, use a different spike (i.e. ammo or protection), or wait to use it the next time the Warmaster is hanging. That said do not hang out right by spikes as enemies can destroy them (here).

10. When the Warmaster drops from its hanging phase is it important to switch to a Bio weapon or throw a Bio grenade to destroy the Armor Plates (small yellow shields) because it regenerates the Armor Plates every time it drops from the ceiling thus reducing damage dealt to it.

11. Still better to self revive/extract and run back as fast as possible. Only 3K points lost for dying (1K) and extracting (2K), which is not a lot compared to the 20,000+ points you are earning in a Warmaster run (plus another 10,000-15,000+ if you kill the Warmaster). Be strategic when you use your self revive to when you can jump back into the fray immediately and do damage (i.e. the hanging phase is one.)

12. Have Fun! and Happy Hunting!!!

Need help selecting a high DPS and high Crit DPS weapon?
    Since EGO on weapons now matters it can be a daunting choice. Go download Dux’s DPS Calculator for help.

Why no Volge Weapons?
    Low DPS compared to other guns (see here) and Volge weapons tend not to damage the Warmaster’s crystal armor but splash on back damage. Thus not helping remove the armor first.

Why no BMGs?
    Low DPS when used as a weapon. Not damaging the Warmaster when healing and all damage matters. When healing it is counter productive to the perk Kill or Be Killed thus lowering group DPS. Plus there is the VFX effect that can blind other players who are trying to shoot.

Why no detonators?
    Lower DPS compared to other weapons and detonators do not damage the Warmaster’s crystal armor similarly to the Volge weapons.

What nano to use?
    Good summary of Nano Effects are found at DefianceData.
    Need a good mixture of Fire, Radiation, and Bio in most kill groups.
    - Radiation when proc'ed (indicated by little tick damage) increase all damage from everyone.
    - Biological removes the armor plating more efficiently and when proc'ed all damage is increased to armor plating.
    - Syphon when procs repairs your shields and increases health but suffers a damage deficit compared to other nanos. (So use only if you die a lot).
    - Fire does more damage to health than all other nanos (+50%).
    - Nano-Less does the third most damage to health after Fire and Radiation.
    I recommend fire and radiation guns and a bio grenade.
    TLDR: Use FIRE. If you don't have fire use Radiation. If not those two use Bio/Syphon/Nano-less. And equip a Bio Grenade.

Why Fire?!? I like Bio!?!
    The Blue Crystal Armor of the Warmaster is HEALTH based. Much like the Crit Spot when exposed.

If you look at Nano Effects on Defiance Data in the previous question you will notice that Fire does 50% more damage than nano-less while Bio does 15% less than nano-less for a net result of 65% lower DMG if you are using a Bio Weapon compared to Fire.

Why a Wolfhound?!? I like my SMG!?!
    If you just compare the base Wolfhound versus the base of the best SMGs out there (VOT Pulsers and VOT Tachmag Pulsers) the Wolfhound does 40% more damage per second! If you add in additional Crit Mult rolls for the Wolfhound that difference gets even Larger!

If you are using the best Bio SMG (like a VOT Pulser or Tachmag Pulser) to farm points by removing armor plates versus using a Fire Wolfhound you are ~65% less damage than a Wolfhound that does not have crit rolls! If you add crit rolls to the Wolfhound that difference gets larger.

TL/DR Use a Fire SMG for the Blue Crystal Armor and then Use a Fire Wolfhound when the Crit Spot is exposed and equip a bio grenade to remove armor plates.

But I score X all the time, why change?
    Score no longer reflects how much damage is done. However, when you kill the Warmaster you get a bonus 10,000-15,000+ which means more loot (more keys, arkforge, etc.) plus a chance at a cool legendary weapon. Successful kills commonly have everyone in the top 20 with over 40,000 points because of the kill. So by adjusting your loadout and perks you can score more loot.

Fun fact: The maximum health of the Warmaster is 195,639,124. So to be pulling your own weight you need to be able to do approximately 9-10 Million in damage (assuming about 20 in your instance).

I suspect that the Warmaster's Crystal Armor is approximately 20M in health.

Practicing what I teach, my setup is in next post for those who care.

Feel free to share this thread. Short link is: www.bit.ly/SimpleWM

I hope this helps. Good luck all and happy Warmaster hunting!!!

NA PC 6K+ | DPS Calc (Beta) | The WM Guide | My Trade Thread
    An Example of Gun Crafting. From Epic to Supreme
    I drink and I know things. That's what I do. Valar Dohaeris

My Current Setup

Practicing what I preach:

Weapons:
    1. Supreme Fire Spinal Tap VOT Tachmag Pulser with OJ Fire Rate and XP DMG roll full T4 Mods with ERR, PB, HCM, Stab Sight. Or if the group is struggling to strip away armor plates when I run out of bio grenades I hot swap to a Bio Plate Slicer Pulser DMG Rolls. Investigating the use of a Supreme Demon Hunter here. (Edit: I mostly run the Supreme Demon Hunter in this spot now).

2. Supreme Black Cat with XP crit roll and purple roll re-rolled to EGO on Reload with T4 ERR, Crit Barrel, Expanded Mag, Sight.

Shield:
    Impact Shroud
    High Cap Shield with extra defense

Perks:
    Overcharge (for more damage)
    Kinetic Transfer (to recharge EGO power more quickly)
    Killing Machine (increase overcharge duration)
    Thick Skinned (to help keep me alive)
    Pumped Up (to recharge my EGO power more quickly)
    Sucker Punch (increase damage from behind)
    Hunter's Stance (more crit while crouched)
    Gunslinger (shoot Wolfhound from the hip to get crit bonus from perk)
    Fortified Stance (to help keep me alive during hanging stage)
    Conflagration (to do more damage from fire attacks)

Spike: Damage Spike (I selectively place DMG spike when needed in fight when others do not have their spike ready to go. Usually every other wall hang.)

Stim: Power Stim (to recharge Overcharge quickly)

Grenade: Bio Grenade. I throw the Bio grenade right in front of the lower non hanging arm right before the last round of bombs during the hang phase (usually the third set). If you see that the splash has effected the WM while hanging you placed in the correct spot. The Bio pool will always infects the WM when it jumps off the wall in this spot.

Then by knowing the fight and where to shoot from and how to avoid the WM's attacks I manage to keep myself alive. I usually do really well considering my age, the age of my non-gaming laptop and my non-city internet connection.

====================

Why I like the Warmaster

I like(d) the Warmaster instance for several reasons:

1. It is difficult to kill. The Warmaster is a timed and maximum damage dealt instance. So in this battle, damage per second (DPS) means everything. It is the biggest, baddest creature in Defiance and is by far the biggest bullet sponge in the game.

2. It is unlike any other enemy in Defiance. The Warmaster was designed to attack multiple targets at once (the only enemy in Defiance who can do this). Also the detail in the Warmaster and the instance is visually pleasing.

3. It is the 1st End Game Experience in Defiance. How is it End Game? Well the designers made it difficult to kill with patch 1.5 by making EGO matter with the addition of threat level as well as player health increases and weapon damage increases. Ten 1,000 EGO players would make Warmaster a TL10. Would this group of 10 1,000 EGO level players have a chance to kill it? The answer is no. The way the designers now have it designed currently, there needs to be a significant number of high level players in the instance so that enough damage can be done. Meaning the developers mean for this instance to be part of the end game experience. The one exception is if there is only one person in the instance and the TL level is low enough and the person is skilled enough, they could kill it.

4. Coordination is needed to defeat the Warmaster. It is the only enemy in Defiance that can get away if not enough damage is dealt and is limited to certain number of people.* Because of this it takes teamwork to achieve the overall goal of defeating it.

5. Finally, I enjoy the challenge that the Warmaster provides. Which is why I decided to write this guide.

* With one of the later patches (3.0+) You can no longer bring in more than 24 people into a WM instance making it more important again to stick to strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by Logain View Post
    [B][U][COLOR="black"]When the Warmaster drops from its hanging phase is it important to switch to a Bio weapon to destroy the Armor Plates (small yellow shields) because it regenerates the Armor Plates every time it drops reducing damage.
    Better tactics — throw a bio grenade when he drops. This way everyone shooting anything at him will damage his armor and it goes away very fast (1-2 seconds). This way you don't need a bio weapon, so you can use fire or no-nano for higher DPS. Once his shield breaks, don't bother with armor at all, because critical hits bypass armor.
    Team Evolution Clan
    My characters on Defiance Role Play Forum:
    Taffer | Vo Kshaa | Luuzuk Kshaa

Awesome guide, Logain! Perhaps mentioning the bonus of having people Prock. I usually use my Radiation Ultimag until I see points dropping, then switch to my Springer (which has Bio).

Quote Originally Posted by Keeper Riff View Post
    Better tactics — throw a bio grenade when he drops. This way everyone shooting anything at him will damage his armor and it goes away very fast (1-2 seconds). This way you don't need a bio weapon, so you can use fire or no-nano for higher DPS. Once his shield breaks, don't bother wit armor at all, because critical hits bypass armor.
    I was told that the Bio grenades tend to glitch him so that he does the inverted hang/hangs inside of the wall. Can anyone confirm this? I usually equip Hatching Grenades and toss them when the other enemies appear.
    Platform: XBox 360 | Server: NA | Clan: Das Reboot
    Toons: Odessa (EGO 5881) | D1rk (EGO 5191) | C0r1nne (EGO 21xx) | Bella Dora (EGO 7xx) |

I always use Bio nades, as far as I am aware they cause no problems and his glitching is due to him standing too close to the wall when he leaps up. I may be wrong tho.

Once his shield breaks, don't bother with armor at all, because critical hits bypass armor.
    That's a good point keeping in mind that if the arm is the target the group would normally be better off continuing to remove the armor plates until both pieces (there are two) on the arm break. When the first arm piece breaks a lot of ammo unintentionally goes to the remaining armor piece (which also has been taking damage before that for the same reason). Often, eventually the second piece breaks as well. The group may as well get rid of it faster by taking down the plates so they get the benefit of a larger target area sooner.

dyunan.natsuu デュナン・ナッツ - PC NA

I thought SMG's and stuff aren't very good, Assault Rifles or Saws should be used instead...
    GT: FTG Griffix
    Xbox Characters: Naomi Ryder and Denri Talak
    Clan: Dawn Patrol

PTS: Griffix
    PTS Characters: Naomi Ryder and Sage Winters

Quote Originally Posted by Griffix8 View Post
    I thought SMG's and stuff aren't very good, Assault Rifles or Saws should be used instead...
    It depends on the model, how it's modded and how the player plays. There are several SMG's that are very good provided that you compensate for their short falloff damage loss range by either using a Sustained Power Muzzle or staying close to the Warmaster. SMG's like the Pulsers are also very accurate from the hip making it easier to hit the Warmaster while moving to keep the targeted crystal armor piece acquired. Also not all Assault Rifles are good. There are DPS inferior ones that you want to avoid using against the Warmaster.

dyunan.natsuu デュナン・ナッツ - PC NA

Better tactics — throw a bio grenade when he drops. This way everyone shooting anything at him will damage his armor and it goes away very fast (1-2 seconds). This way you don't need a bio weapon, so you can use fire or no-nano for higher DPS. Once his shield breaks, don't bother with armor at all, because critical hits bypass armor.
    Good idea will incorporate in the quick guide as soon as someone can confirm that it does not glitch WM out. Also will edit quick guide to mention crit shots bypassing armor plating.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffix8 View Post
    SMGs with a Falloff mod are very good against WM. Will add in note about falloff mod.