Closed Thread
Page 1 of 49 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Warmaster Event Changes in Defiance 2.1

From Creative Lead Trick Dempsey:

Ark hunters,

We’re releasing an update to the Warmaster instance to address social dynamics inside the event. Feedback from players fell into two broad categories: those that break locks and those that do not.

Lock breakers break the Warmaster locks at the first opportunity, valuing their play time, entertainment, and the moment-to-moment rewards that come from constant action. They are playing Defiance for a limited time each day and they are guided by which events are active in the game. Every part of the user interface supports this play method. Indicators and EGO instructions push these players forward, and they reap great rewards during their time. Lock breakers constitute a vast majority of players.

Lock keepers seek to prolong the lock-breaking step until the number of players inside the Warmaster event meets or exceeds 24 players, often using chat and weapon intimidation to dissuade others in the instance. These players value resources over time and aim to earn the legendary weapon drops from the Warmaster at all costs. Additionally, these players tend to have an extremely limited scope for value on items; anything that is not part of a predetermined list is deemed entirely worthless. These players are extremely active on the forums and in-game, but still constitute a small minority of players.

Here is how we are updating the event: When the last Volge in the upper level of the arkbreak is killed, the objective to open the vents appears. That objective now has a 30-second countdown. At that point, the vents will open themselves and the cage will appear in the room below. When the cage spawns, it begins a 3-minute countdown. During this countdown, the locks may be destroyed as normal. However, when the countdown completes, the locks shatter and the Warmaster is released. To be clear, from the moment the last Volge is killed in the lobby, there is a maximum of 3.5 minutes before the Warmaster fight starts.

This puts the game’s mechanics in line with the interface indicators in the game and the instructions from EGO. Once inside the Warmaster event, players will proceed to its end in 10 to 15 minutes, thus freeing them to pursue their next adventure in a timely manner. Players aiming to maximize their chances to earn legendary gear or Warmaster kills now have the onus put on them to organize their teams before entering the event. They need to prepare their plans, leader designations, and group/friend invites such that they can execute them quickly. We are not, at this time, removing the exploit that allows players to exceed the event’s 24-player maximum, but we are requiring teams that wish to do so to achieve this in a timely fashion.

While lock keepers are not necessarily playing the Warmaster instance incorrectly, this is not how the event was designed to be played. This change prevents them from holding an in-progress event hostage and allows the instance to progress as designed. Players who progress the Warmaster fight are not and have not been “griefers” as they are doing what the game has literally told them to do. We’ll continue to monitor feedback about the Warmaster event and this latest change, so please share your constructive experience-based insights with us on the forums.

Good hunting,

Creative Lead Trick Dempsey

---

Please Note: This letter's intent was not to polarize or antagonize any of our players. I can say that definitively. As a developer designing a feature, this birds-eye view of the game's audience can be dehumanizing as is sets players in camps based on gameplay style and behavior. These labels appeared in the article and came across as offensive when that was not the intent. Additionally, the article should have been branded as a "Developer Blog" of sorts as it was written from a development standpoint, communicating the rationale for a feature change using direct reasoning.

Having read most if not all of the forum activity, this appears to have been the core frustration about the post, even more so than the game change. To again be fully transparent, both myself and PhantasieTrion reviewed, edited, and signed off on the article before I published it last night. The notion was that the change may be received better if communicated using an honest, if blunt, voice. In retrospect, we should have put the article through another round of revisions to temper it better and soften some of the language used.

I encourage everyone to look past the directness of the original article which was as much my fault as anyone else's and focus on the feature change itself which we are interested to hear feedback about.
    "Nothing reveals humanity so well as the games it plays."

Hi. All well and good except it takes more than 3 mins to dashboard and get back in. As a lot of people entering causes it, we could do with a bit more maybe 5 to 6 minutes. It will stop the griefers if it opens on its own though.

Yet groups/friends can get separated upon entry or crit upon entry. Yay.
    GT: FTG Griffix
    Xbox Characters: Naomi Ryder and Denri Talak
    Clan: Dawn Patrol

PTS: Griffix
    PTS Characters: Naomi Ryder and Sage Winters

well, I guess i am doing more minor arkfalls and using the major for mostly arkforge farming.

Well I guess I wasted $10 on a DLC that is not going to be used anymore. The guns aren't worth the trouble to begin with and now with it being forced open there is no use to do it. If I want forge I'll grind Incrusions or do some Arkfalls. Hopefully the new content gives us something because it's always one step forward then 10 steps back.

Just keep looking at the pretty flowers.

1) Bad idea insulting some of your longest and most loyal players.

2) Way to yet again slap all Season pass holders in the face. You're beginning to get good at it.

3) I'll leave the griefers and noobs to their failure when this patch goes live. Only going in there with an infector if I waste my time at all. Congrats trick you finally pissed me off enough to hate my investment.
    Player name: Alexis Hassinger | EGO:6000 | Clan:CRONUS | Platform: PC | NA
    Player name: Josh Firebrand | EGO:2100+ | Clan:CRONUS | Platform: PC | NA

I thought it would be that the locks could not be broken until the 3 minutes was up which would give some buffer time to have late arrivals to make their way into the instance. Why even have a timer on the locks to automatically break them when you guys are allowing them to get busted open as usual anyway?

Nefarious, cause grenades.

Just keep looking at the pretty flowers.

Awesome... Now is there going to be anyway to group our groups together so that we can all enter the same instance? Or is there any chance to see how much damage t have done during the event, even if it is just on personal card and not on scoreboard? This way I can tell if I am getting any better or if by tinkering my loadout and perks optimize damage dealt? Thanks.

And just for clarification when you stated 10-15 minutes, the Warmaster itself will still be a 7 minute battle?

In summary the post from Trick is a big, virtual middle finger to all the players that pay Trion employees salaries . The one nice thing about the warmaster was the difficulty and fact you had to organize to beat it. If you rushed you failed. There are enough speed play, unorganized events in the game for the causal player. You not only just ruined the one event for hardcore organized players....you also pissed off your well paying player base in one paragraph. I am one of your so called"Whales" and I will never spend another dime on this game after reading your statement Trick. Just check my account to see how much I invested in your GAME, cause you just lost all my future business and the business of my so called Minority friends as you referred to us. But hey, welcome to F2P!!!!