+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

The Need/Want - Want some social interaction in your Defiance?

Originally I had planned to just put up a quick website to get some community members together outside of these forums, as unfortunately the in-game social features, or lack there-of... well - it scruggin sucks.

Then.. I got to tinkering.. and http://theneedwant.com was born.

What it is: A player and guild directory, LFG tool, social network... thing-a-ma-gig. The Need/Want is the local watering hole and brothel of Defiance TV show. It is the center of town, in essence - so it seemed like a good fit. Business up front, party in the back.

Ultimately.. i'll be shaping this website in how you guys decide to use it. Some features may stay, other's may go. It'd be much appreciated if you guys started testing it out.

Some things you can currently do:
    Create a group/guild
    Friends list, PM
    Mention people by using @handle (ie @Alaric needs coffee, right now)
    Search for players (on the right sidebar is the advanced search - by region/account/age range)

Looking for a group? Join the LFG group at http://theneedwant.com/groups/lfg-looking-for-group/ - if you refresh page or click on the groups home tab- it'll refresh the activity feed and you can see the latest people looking to group up.

I also want to try to make everything mobile/tablet friendly as possible for those who like to have a second screen around while you're playing.

This is in its early, early stages and right now i'm focused on functionality and then documentation - afterwhich i'll be sure to make it looks a little sexier than the shtako-state it's in now. If we have any talented graphic designers/ui designers in the community that wouldn't mind lending a hand - get in touch, would love the help. I'll be putting up a feedback form soon and you can reach me here, on in this forum post, or at alaric@theneedwant.com

Some things being tossed around:
    Player blogs
    User Media (upload screenshots, youtube vids, etc)
    Group/Guild Banners? Or some level of customization
    Site Achievements? Gimmie dem shiny badges!

And my first question to you guys is regarding forums. Would you want them? Second, would you want your own Group/guild level forums? Live chat?

I'm sure i'm missing something, but my brain is shot - I need coffee. So in closing, hopefully this is useful to some of you, and i'd appreciate any and all input. Look forward to seeing you guys in-game.. and ya know.. maybe grouping up every once in awhile

Cool, I'll have to play with it a bit.

Looks cool, definitely a needed & great idea. I don't know about forums i'm partial to the Defiance forums but hey they couldn't hurt!
    Don't be insulted because i don't wanna explain myself, i was probably joking anyway.

Hahaha "Powered by Hellbug tears" I'll check it out. Seems like a great idea!

Haha glad someone caught that Azuresky (:

Update:

Feedback form is now up - a link can be found at the bottom of the right sidebar as well.

Other news - going to run a community time-trial event this evening (and more to come) - submission will need to be either a screenshot/phone pic/etc of your score via the website. Details to come.

Now here is the sort of community spirit I like. I shall be right over soon as I can.

Screw it, I'm adding this to my sig.
    The Need / Want - Everything you need or want from a Defiance social hub, ... except for the brothel.

If you like I can offer up a 100 or so man TS3 server to use just for defiance. If you like that is. Just give me the word I will set it up.

Hey thanks for the offer Nipper - just having the option would be a nice addition for the folks who either a. don't have a guild/don't want a guild - and/or b. people with a guild that just want to drop in from time to time. Especially until they manage to improve the in-game VOIP (which scares me to death). If you'd like me to put the info up on the site let me know, thanks again!

Or I can run a poll after we pick up speed and find out how many would utilize it.

It don't matter to me. Takes little then 10minutes to set up which I already did. Anyways the address is ts3.mcdominion.net:9988 or Click here(This is for those who are lazy to copy and paste) there is no password and is treated as a public server. As for the limit it can hold I can tweek it as needed. I have up to 500 or so slots on my lic. But I use about 100 or so for my main server for minecraft.