+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Deunan View Post
    Fallen Earth is not a shooter built around twitch skills.

These games are PvP only.

Firefall is also not a shooter built around twitch skills.
    Fallen Earth isn't about twitch skills, but it's not a swords and wands MMORPG either. It is largely shooter based nonetheless, and in a post apocalyptic world. It's "close enough" in my opinion to fit the criteria, but it's also the loosest I'd say from my list.

What does the fact that Planetside 1/2 are PvP exclusive (currently) have to do with it? He didn't specify PvE only; they're still twitchy shooters in a massively multiplayer open world environment. There's also been talk of adding some PvE content for a while now, I don't think it's been ruled out as yet, though the community is mixed on the issue.

How is Firefall not twitch? It's the closest thing to Defiance.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyged View Post
    Couldn't have said it better!
    You only specified "comes close to this type of shooter action in an apocalyptic world".

Quote Originally Posted by Storm58 View Post
    Firefall has relaly shown me what Defiance could have been. It's massive with actual towns, locations, POIs, etc. Every area doesn't look the same either.
    I'm not sure how much or how long you've played Firefall. I'm relatively new to it but it doesn't take much research to find out that the game changed dramatically during beta and lost many of its unique aspect much to the displeasure of many of the beta vets.

In a move that mirrors that of the Defiance devs, they dumped a horizontal leveling and progression system for a traditional vertical one. In doing so, they segregated the player community making it difficult for friends to play with one another. While the map is about three times bigger than Defiance's divided into three zones, each zone has level specific content so with the vertical progression system there is no reason to return to each zone once you level out of it other than to farm crafting materials with Thumpers.

Crafting itself is a gigantic hot mess right now. All you have to do is spend 5 minutes reading the crafting and resources subforum to realize that. If your ambition is to craft high level high end items you're in for an extremely tedious and frustrating experience.

I haven't tried PvP there but currently with vertical scaling and no dynamic scaling system it appears to be end game only for the PvP zone. Like every MMO with PvP, vertical scaling and a class system there are also balance issues and, like other games, the devs have made balancing changes that are upsetting to the PvE players. I can only wonder how hard they are going to nerf the Raptor battle frames due to complaints by PvP players.

And yes, the devs like to swing the nerf bat in Firefall too. The nerfed loot rewards for BWA hardcore mode so badly that no one bothers to do it anymore. They nerfed resource farming turning what was once a core aspect of group play into a largely solo and anti-social activity.

Don't get me wrong, I do like the game, and while the Defiance team could learn a thing or two about better game development and community relations from the Red 5 team, there are some things that Red 5 could learn about game development from the Defiance team as well (e.g. instanced loot and an overall better loot distribution system). No game is without its issues. It's also significantly different from Defiance regarding combat dynamics. Combat is much more driven by stats and equipment and less on twitch skills than it is in Defiance.

dyunan.natsuu デュナン・ナッツ - PC NA

Quote Originally Posted by crazyged View Post
    Don't be too sure about the size of the Destiny maps - there's already been a lot of talk about how small they are...
    Hyperbole.
    Can we PLEASE have unique icons for Spikes and Stims??? Every other item has them and my memory isn't good enough without them...

In a move that mirrors that of the Defiance devs, they dumped a horizontal leveling and progression system for a traditional vertical one. In doing so, they segregated the player community making it difficult for friends to play with one another. While the map is about three times bigger than Defiance's divided into three zones, each zone has level specific content so with the vertical progression system there is no reason to return to each zone once you level out of it other than to farm crafting materials with Thumpers.

Crafting itself is a gigantic hot mess right now. All you have to do is spend 5 minutes reading the crafting and resources subforum to realize that. If your ambition is to craft high level high end items you're in for an extremely tedious and frustrating experience.
    I remember that nice flat system. The one good thing about that move is that it was done during beta. People seem to cling to the vertical progression as vital - those are generally the ones who've come from an MMORPG/ARPG (or ever borderlands) background and like the loot chase, while the horizontal progression is typically a trait found in lobby shooters. It's an interesting blend, but when it comes down to having to pay the bills, the one that yields the most profit/appeals to the larger player base is what will typically win.

Totally right on the PvP issues with vertical scaling. Unless you have PvP exclusive gear all giving the same "tier" of balance, it really gets to be a pain for those who are lower levels and may sour them on the experience when they do get to higher levels.

Crafting, yeah, huge roadblock, but would you agree that's primarily F2P issue? They seem to be encouraging the use of acceleration.

...snip...
    Didn't play the beta and don't have any direct info on it, so I can't use that to judge how I presently feel about the game (Firefall). As it stands now, I like it a lot. I play with one other person and find it an awesome game that way.

Not to derail the topic more than I have, but as a F2P game, it's awesome. Defiance makes me feel like I have to spend money or grind like crazy from the get-go just to have some sort of fun (in various ways). In Firefall, I can do everything and even earn/generate Redbeans (albeit at a slow pace)... how cool is that?

It's nice to have an MMO that is more like Defiance and less like WoW but still meets what I want.
    Can we PLEASE have unique icons for Spikes and Stims??? Every other item has them and my memory isn't good enough without them...

Quote Originally Posted by Storm58 View Post
    Not to derail the topic more than I have, but as a F2P game, it's awesome. Defiance makes me feel like I have to spend money or grind like crazy from the get-go just to have some sort of fun (in various ways). In Firefall, I can do everything and even earn/generate Redbeans (albeit at a slow pace)... how cool is that?

It's nice to have an MMO that is more like Defiance and less like WoW but still meets what I want.
    I've never felt that with Defiance, but did in Firefall oddly enough. Never really felt like a grind, but I just play it casual, the pursuits will complete eventually. Firefall seems a little boring to me comparatively, but slightly less repetitive. Still much rather play Defiance over Firefall most of the time.

Generating beans is nice; it'd be interesting if there was a way to generate bits in the same manner, might push people to buy more once they have a taste, though, there's really nothing in the bits store I personally want, other than inventory space so it's less of an issue.

Oh no please OP, please let the Destiny players come back in here and tell us just how good Destiny is.
    Now that the game is out I must ask all of you Destiny-is-the-best-game-ever FanBois.
    So How good is the game?
    Are you enjoying the MMO part of Destiny? Hahahahhahahha

Destiny is nothing more than a Halo game with loot drops, forced 2-6 coop with "fetch" quests.
    So yes please tell us, is the game as good as you fanbois hyped it up to be?

I have been playing computer games since 1984 and when someone comes to me and says "Ohmygodthisgameisthebesteveranditissooogood!! !" I always ask "Well have you played it?" and if the answer is "No it's not out yet." I always wait until I have tried the game myself before I make up my mind about it.

Live and learn little grasshoppers and welcome back to defiance.

Quote Originally Posted by Quatermass View Post
    Are you enjoying the MMO part of Destiny?
    To correct you on something. Its NOT an MMO, its been stated many times that it is not an MMO.
    GT: FTG Griffix
    Xbox Characters: Naomi Ryder and Denri Talak
    Clan: Dawn Patrol

PTS: Griffix
    PTS Characters: Naomi Ryder and Sage Winters

Quote Originally Posted by Griffix8 View Post
    To correct you on something. Its NOT an MMO, its been stated many times that it is not an MMO.
    Here is a quote from a bungie dev:

"I don't know if you call it community or social play; I've heard some people call it 'mingleplayer.' I'm in a world; it's my story; it's my character. All the gear is mine; I've earned it in a bunch of different story missions," he says. "I encounter some random people and we do a lot of stuff together and it's super fun. But, I'm not bound to them in any way. I don't need to lug a TV or even send them a friend request."

http://www.engadget.com/2014/09/09/d...nch-interview/
    Recruiting Here

PSN - greanteebox (Yes I play on PS3... ****)
    IGN - Copperpot

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

+ Reply to Thread