+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DrTogobban View Post
    Crafting, yeah, huge roadblock, but would you agree that's primarily F2P issue? They seem to be encouraging the use of acceleration.
    I guess it depends on what you mean by acceleration. The only Red Bean exclusive mechanic of the crafting system is the acceleration of research but that's not much of an issue, if at all with the crafting system. From what I've read there are at least three major issues.

One is the scarcity of resources and the way players are pitted against one another to grind for them (e.g. the anti-social nature of Thumping for resources).

The second is an overly complex component system where you have many raw components and than many hybrid components that require raw components as well often of the same kind of raw components, and a UI that doesn't help you keep track of any of them well. On top of that you have rather taxing amounts of them required to craft a high level high end item.

The third is that the crafting system has RNG elements to many of the end result items. Weapons and gear have a pool of variants based on their prefix naming system so after all that headache you can end up with an Epic item whose value on the market can vary by thousands of credits. So after all that investment of time and effort, when you fire up the molecular printer it's like pulling the arm of a slot machine (sound familiar anyone?)

I'm not sure how any of that is micro transaction driven in terms of the way it has been redesigned (I understand it was much simpler and better under the prior crafting and resource gathering mechanics in the beta version). From what I've read and what I've personally done, it seems like most players don't bother with high end crafting and simply grind for cy to convert into credits to buy them from the market, and much of what is on the market is from loot rewards as opposed to crafted items.

dyunan.natsuu デュナン・ナッツ - PC NA

Quote Originally Posted by Copperpot View Post
    Here is a quote from a bungie dev:

"I don't know if you call it community or social play; I've heard some people call it 'mingleplayer.' I'm in a world; it's my story; it's my character. All the gear is mine; I've earned it in a bunch of different story missions," he says. "I encounter some random people and we do a lot of stuff together and it's super fun. But, I'm not bound to them in any way. I don't need to lug a TV or even send them a friend request."

http://www.engadget.com/2014/09/09/d...nch-interview/
    That actually sounds a lot like Defiance.
    Can we PLEASE have unique icons for Spikes and Stims??? Every other item has them and my memory isn't good enough without them...

Quote Originally Posted by Storm58 View Post
    That actually sounds a lot like Defiance.
    in some ways they share a lot of concepts, but the main difference is that instead of ending up at a conflict site or emergency and seeing many players (in theory), you'd only be placed with x people in and around your level, instead of potentially seeing 100 who happen to be there.

Think borderlands, if when you got to an area or entered a cave, you'd be automatically grouped with people like an open co-op game, but not possible to get the entire "server" in the same place at the same time, though I do believe there are some mid-size events like arkfalls where more will be placed together.

There's also centralized areas where everyone can gather, like the sanctuary in borderlands 2, that is entirely shared world from what I understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Deunan View Post
    I guess it depends on what you mean by acceleration. The only Red Bean exclusive mechanic of the crafting system is the acceleration of research but that's not much of an issue, if at all with the crafting system.
    I was sure there was a "finish now" button when it came to processing/refining stuff, but it's been a while since I've played... but there's also the "buy extra slot" for processing too, isn't there? Both of those are definitely F2P money grabs.

You're right on the resources issue though, seems like it takes forever to end up with something that may be useless. That and the consumable vehicles/gliders seem kinda gross.

in some ways they share a lot of concepts, but the main difference is that instead of ending up at a conflict site or emergency and seeing many players (in theory), you'd only be placed with x people in and around your level, instead of potentially seeing 100 who happen to be there.

Think borderlands, if when you got to an area or entered a cave, you'd be automatically grouped with people like an open co-op game, but not possible to get the entire "server" in the same place at the same time, though I do believe there are some mid-size events like arkfalls where more will be placed together.

There's also centralized areas where everyone can gather, like the sanctuary in borderlands 2, that is entirely shared world from what I understand.
    When you travel to a world there are other players running around, you may not see them immediately (likely in a different area of the map) but there are there killing enemies or riding their Sparrows. After some time you'll likely get lucky enough to see a Public Event (its like arkfalls), anyone in the area can join if they choose but you won't be automatically grouped. Only those in the area will see the Event. Your screen essentially gives you notice (it goes dark blue for a few seconds then a notification flashes across the screen).
    Defiance equivalent would be (before they patched it) players could do arkfalls in Silicon Valley but those in Marin couldn't see it so unless they were told they didn't know.

Auto grouping only happens on 2 occasions. Crucible (PvP) and Strike missions (they require a 3 person fireteam). You'll likely see other players in the area but only for a time before you cross a certain line, this line teleports the other players into separate spaces so that only your fireteam is there.

The hub (known as The Tower) has 16 players on it. Its where you upgrade your gear, buy new weapons or armor, receive/claim bounties and their rewards, etc. Here you can invite people to fireteams, dance, play with the soccer ball or purple ball or simply sit down.
    GT: FTG Griffix
    Xbox Characters: Naomi Ryder and Denri Talak
    Clan: Dawn Patrol

PTS: Griffix
    PTS Characters: Naomi Ryder and Sage Winters

Quote Originally Posted by Griffix8 View Post
    The hub (known as The Tower) has 16 players on it. Its where you upgrade your gear, buy new weapons or armor, receive/claim bounties and their rewards, etc. Here you can invite people to fireteams, dance, play with the soccer ball or purple ball or simply sit down.
    Best. Game. Ever.

Clearly, what Defiance needs is a red ball to remain competitive, since we can already dance.

Best. Game. Ever.

Clearly, what Defiance needs is a red ball to remain competitive, since we can already dance.
    *Shrug* I wouldn't call it the best game ever because of that but it does make it funny.

I sincerely hope Defiance gets better, I really do cause I loved it despite its glitches when I first bought it. It could be an even greater game if they used its potential...
    GT: FTG Griffix
    Xbox Characters: Naomi Ryder and Denri Talak
    Clan: Dawn Patrol

PTS: Griffix
    PTS Characters: Naomi Ryder and Sage Winters

Quote Originally Posted by Quatermass View Post
    Destiny is nothing more than a Halo game with loot drops, forced 2-6 coop with "fetch" quests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quatermass View Post
    I always wait until I have tried the game myself before I make up my mind about it.
    Yeah... certainly seems that way.

I was sure there was a "finish now" button when it came to processing/refining stuff, but it's been a while since I've played... but there's also the "buy extra slot" for processing too, isn't there? Both of those are definitely F2P money grabs.
    There are finish now buttons but it only costs 1 red bean regardless of how long the process might normally take. 1 red bean is ~12.5 cents so it doesn't seem to be much of a cash grab as it's merely a convenience and not a necessity. You get two additional slots if you have an active VIP status (their version of a Patron Pass).

dyunan.natsuu デュナン・ナッツ - PC NA

Quote Originally Posted by Deunan View Post
    There are finish now buttons but it only costs 1 red bean regardless of how long the process might normally take. 1 red bean is ~12.5 cents so it doesn't seem to be much of a cash grab as it's merely a convenience and not a necessity. You get two additional slots if you have an active VIP status (their version of a Patron Pass).
    12 cents adds up, especially when it is so convenient, just like those small in-app purchases that add up to hundreds of dollars a month for some people.