+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

[PC] Ben's Warmaster Guide & FAQ (improved Layout)

Analytical Warmaster Guide

Prolog This is a guide exclusively for PC [EU/NA]

The contents of this guide don't differ much from other guides. I tweaked the layout and made it visually more attractive to read in the hope to raise the numbers of readers.

"I also call on the veterans among you to upload a screenshot of your loadouts, share your experience or pm me with content which I should add or overwork. Now let's get started!"

TL;DR Quicktips:
    Spoiler:

Table of Content:
    • Reasons for the failure in Warmaster Instances
    • Procedure of a proper Warmaster Hunt
    • Recommended Weapons, Shields, Consumables and Perks
    • FAQs

Preperation and Understanding

Reasons for the failure in Warmaster Instances
    The main reason for a defeat against the warmaster lies in the wrong choice of weaponry.

To protect his critical spots, the warmaster is covered by 3 crystalarmors on both arms and his back.

You have a total 7 minutes available to destroy one of his crystalarmors and then to inflict critical damage on his weakpoints until it lays down its life.
    Ideally, you need:
    • 2 minutes for the crystalarmor
    • 5 minutes for the health.
    (With a proper clan and allies. He will be downed in 2 min or less.)

The Problem #1: Wrong choice of weapon
    Often, the group doesn't even manage to break the crystalarmor to reveal the warmaster's weakpoints. Although the actual work would be the dealing of direct critical damage against the overwhelming amount of HP, which lies underneath his crystals.

"The main reason for a defeat against the warmaster lies in the wrong choice of weaponry."

Which combination of weapons, shield and perks should be equipped, can be found explained further below.
    The problem #2: No preparation, nor a strategy
    There are often NOT. ENOUGH. PLAYERS. in the instance. The locks are broken and Warmaster freed even before the room is filled with enough players .

One Instance can hold hold up to 24 Players. A strategy that is used by most clans is called "Zerging" (unofficial term), which allows us to invite more players pass the room's capacity. The result would be a 99.999 % victory against the Warmaster.
    This is how it works:
    If the player capacity is reached, clanmembers/friends are sent a group invitation. If the recipient accepts the invitation, he will be enabled to enter the existing instance via the Quick Menu [Ctrl > Group > Go to Leader]. Then the party leader kicks his people from the group, which will still remain in the instance afterwards. And the process can be carried out by 4 people anew.
    Procedure of a proper Warmaster Hunt:
    1. Enter into the instance and invite your friends (as described above)
    2. Explore the arkbreach and eliminate the Volge .
    3. Go down and gather yourselves together behind the back of the Warmaster
    4. Wait until the timer runs out so that others have enough time to invite their friends
    5. Attacks the back and only the back!
    6. Should you die: Extract.
      Advantage It resets the cooldown of your EGO Power, your Stims and your spikes. Your death and damage-loss can therefore be redeemed.
    Short Pucture Guide (Imgur Album)

(Also check out Nilxain's outdated guide which contains the Warmasters Attackpattern)

Warmaster Battle (March 15th, 2015) filmed by CowdBlud

Recommended Loadout

Choice of Weaponry
    (A quick overview of my loadout (link))

The Hunt for the Warmaster equals the Hunt after the highest DPS-output.
    Every hit counts! For this we need rapid-fire weapons, which ensure the accuracy to dish out constant damage over time .

We also need hipfire mobility, because some very useful EGO Perks request that and the Warmaster will do anything, except remaining motionless on one spot.

With LMG / AR / SMG you will cause much more harm against the it, than with detonators,Volge weapons or Crimefighters. Each of these fully automatic weapons can be fired from different effective distances.

Thus, it is advantageous if a balanced number of these types of weapons are present in the battle. Players will be more spread out across the available space and the chance of survival for every individual, by conceding fewer hits, increases . (Expanding the hit-area and reducing the average DMG taken per squaremeter)
    1. Attack phase: Crystalarmor (flat white damage)
    • SMG (6m): Tachmag Pulsierer, Pulsierer,... (Cue: "Hipfire-Mobility!")
    • AR (40m): VBI Assaultrifle, FRC Assaultcarbine, Piper, Perforator,...
    • LMG (57m): VBI LM-43 Thunder,...

Look out for bonus rolls with as much [+.xx DMG] on the weaponcard. (DMG > Firerate > Mag > Reload)

High-EGO Players tend to fight with their shield's better capacities on the front line .
    Low-EGOs, on the other hand, want to prevent taking damage and dish out as much as possible from save distance.

Link: Falloff-DMG Guide
    2. Attack Phase: Weak point (critical-damage phase)
    Now it is of upmost importance to deal critical-damage like crazy.

You really want to see high critical-damage numbers on your screen now. Your choice falls primarily on the VBI HP-6 Wolfhound.

Examples:

DC-5 Golden Ring (VBI HP-6 Wolfhound - Event Variant):
    6126*6.8*(38/6.8/(38/6.8+1.6))*6.8 = 220 215 sustained CritDPS

DC-9 Dancing Lady (VOT Pulsierer - Event Variant):
    3104*15.7*(83/15.7/(83/15.7+1.3))*2.5 = 97 786 sustained CritDPS

Frontier Semi-Auto Sniper Rifle ( FRC Quick Repeater - Top Notch Variant; unmodded):
    13557*2.8*(25/2.8/(25/2.8+2.8))*4 = 115 590 sustained CritDPS

Notable Weapons: Wishbone Splitter, VBI SS-2 Ranger, ...
    Required nanoeffects:
    • Fire: +50% Healthdamage (permanent)
    • Radiation: +25% DMG Boost for everyone (if proc'ed)
    • Biologic: +100% plate-damage for everyone (if proc'ed)
    Priority:
    • 70% Fire, nanoless (,syphon for low EGOs), because we especially need Damage Dealers
    • 15% Radiation to assist the groups DMG-output
    • 15% Biologic to get rid of the armorplates swiftly

Link: Nano-Effects
    Under no circumstances should you ever use BMGs!!!
    Many Perks and shield abilities require empty shields to increase the users DMG. (i.e. +45% critical Damage, "Kill or Be Killed"; and +5% critical Damage, Tachyon III Bullseye EX from the Echelon vendor)

Many survive a wave of attacks (albeit with low HP) and deal massive damage until their shields regenerate again .

That means: If you were to use the Healing-Beam, you would sabotage the entire damage potential of the group! (Instead of a BMGs, use Healing Stims, syphon or BH Weapons)

A list of non-suitable weapons can be found below in the FAQs section.
    Choice of shield
    I am using a legendary EXL Darkest Hour (Syn.: "Wetwork" = gives +15% DMG to the whole group on shieldbreak).

The special thing about my EXL shields is that it has the highest capacity in the game ( ~25,000 ). As the Ironclad/Rhino posesses only ~21,000. With both capacities, the chances to survive attack waves are quite high.

Requirement of shield:
    • High shieldcapacity (i.e. Ironclad, Rhino, EXL Darkest Hour, 7th Legion Sai)
    • Ability: +% (critical) DMG
    Choice of the consumables
    Recommended Grenades: Bio- or Radiationseffects (Reason, see nanoeffects)

Recommended Stims: Power, Armor Repair, Heal, Ablative Armor (up to your playstyle)

Recommended Spikes: By priority: Damage = Ammunition > Protection
    Choice of EGO-Perks
    A loadout can link up to 9 perks. There is plenty to choose from but only a few useful ones.

EGO-Fähigkeit: Overcharge (+30% DMG)

Perks for Damage-Output:
    • Sucker Punch (+15% DMG from behind)
    • Gunslinger (+12% crit. DMG from hip)
    • Kill or Be Killed (+45% crit. DMG on empty shield)
    • Hunters Stance (+9% crit. DMG crouched)
    • Single Minded (+30% faster Reload while standing still)
    • Radiation Burns (+15% DMG) {or equivalent counterparts}

Perks for DMG Reduction: (Attention: Damage-Reduction-Perks do not stack!)
    • Thickskinned (4 abl. plates for 3s after shieldbreak)
    • Blastproof (-45% blastradius)
    • Cellular Armor (Take -6% less DMG)

Commentary:
    I refer mainly to my Warmaster-Build, which has a focus on passive perks.
    Check out the collection of Loadouts on Defiancedata.com.
    Link: Warmaster Loadouts

You can also focus on Overcharge cooldown and duration:
    • Quick Charge (-9s cooldown)
    • Killing Machine (+6s duration)
    • Pumped Up (+15% Power refresh after full reload)
    The latter is especially good if you a) have a small magazine and/or b) have a very short reloading weapon.

I generally recommend more attack perks for high-EGOs and additional defensive perks for low-EGOs.

To focus on a support/healer/reviver build isn't much sensible (keep that build for Expeditions).
    The only support that is actually helpful are those who triggers nanos at a good rate (high firerate for proc's or 100% proc weapons like Incinerators, Sludges, Northstar Blazes, etc.) and those whoh boost the team's DMG Output (Heartbreaker & Wetwork "Suicider")

In the case you might want to experiment with surviveability, click on the links below.
    Links: Self-Revives, HP & Regeneration

List of all Links & Sources

Guides

Simple Warmaster Guide by Logain (up-to-date)
    - "Excellent short Guide with a well-written combat-explanation."

Warmaster Killing Guide by Miss Teri (up-to-date)
    - "Miss Teri exceeds in giving detailed and practical informations."

The "Warmaster Survival" Guide by Jeff Lonestar (up-to-date)
    - "Wonderful graphics and easy to understand."

Warmaster Guide by Nilxain (outdated)
    - "The tactics aren't up to date, but it gives good insight on the Warmaster's attackpattern"

Videos

Upcoming next...

Frequently Asked Questions

What do I have to do?

Follow the steps in this Short Picture-Guide of a Warmaster Run

I can't teleport to a certain clanmember.

The friendlist is limited and the recipent will not receive any requests when his list is full. Your friendrequest is still pending tho and it overwrites clan-specific options (i.e. Go to clanmate)

To solve this issue: [Open the quickmenu -> Find Player... -> Search for the members name -> unfriend him/her]

Alternative: Write in Chat /removefriend {name}

Links: Defiancedata's chatcommands

Why should I wait outside and not enter?

A Warmaster Instance can only hold 24 players before another instance opens to transport the remaining entering players.

This results in split teams.

Another problem is that you often get transported into ongoing instances where other players already are fighting/failing the Warmaster. We don't want to join on that.

How do I enter then?

You or your friend should scout for a "Clean Instance" (Not started; Viscera Phase). Once he has found one, join his/her instance via the Quickmenu.

[Ctrl - Clan/Friend - Name - Join Instance]

The option will disappear once the room is full.
    If that happens, ask for a groupinvite. You will eventually receive it and then need to do the following while ignoring all notifications:

[Ctrl - Group - Go to Leader]; Do not leave the group!

Why not to use BMG, Crimefighter, Detonators and Infectors?

The main Reasons are:

BMG, Crimefighter, Detonators cause lag for most Players due to heavy visual effects.
    My latest research on the DPS Calculations on the Wolfhound revealed that the firerate is dependent on the Client-Server connection & FPS (Similar to the problem of the chat not registering every keystroke on laggy environment).

Causing lag and fps-drop reduces the DMG-output of the Team immensely.
    Worst thing you could do in a team-oriented Raid.

Sources: Crimefighter Lag in WM (Youtube)

These weapons don't always hit, which results in individual DPS loss. (We absolutely need DPS!)

Infectors don't do sufficient DMG.
    Veteran Players are in consensus. Usually, you need 2 Loadout Weapons for 2 Attack Phases:
    1. Armor Stage: High Firerate Bullet Weapon to break his Crystalarmor
    2. Yellow Critspot Stage: High Crit Weapon to deplete his huge amount of HP
    Never use a BMG for Healing.
    A Perk, which should be in everyones WM-Loadout, grants +45% CritDMG on empty shields. Players don't get the benefit if they get healed.

How should I behave towards "Lockbreakers"?

Most of them really haven't seen how a proper Raid runs. They become excited and fall into a state 'bloodlust' or simply become single minded.
    You will certainly find situations where they won't even give attention to the chat.

NEVER DROP THE PLAN. The show must go on. Proceed to gather at the back. He will find out by himself that he is doing something wrong and firrerent from others by looking at his minimap.

Everyone can simply ignore the Chat or turn it off. But a gamer always has his eyes on the radar from time to time.

Keep a calm attitude and rally your team to prepare for his outbreak. Also use the short time to inform those players who are willing to learn.

The Attention should be given to those who seek for answers and reasoning, not those who keep it away from themselves.

Anything else you want to know? Post below.

Platform: PC [EU] GT: quriousity Characters: BenjaminXFranklin
    Clan: Red Thugs Recruitment (Officer in charge) Shop/Trading:WTT Shop

Short Warmaster Picture-Guides: BenXFrank, Jeff Lonestar
    In-Depth Warmaster Guides: BenXFrank, Nilxain (outdated, but informative)
    Best Game-Databank: Defiancedata.com
    Defiance-Forum: Code of Conduct, BBCode List

One thing to add to the procedures... most recommend that you don't "eliminate the volge," instead kill all but the Viscera, then do your invites. That way you can bypass the idiotic timers.

I'm guessing you know this by your reference to the "viscera phase" it's just not explicit in the steps at the beginning.

Also, I want "ABGESCHLOSSEN" instead of "complete" in the English version, much more awesomer.

Dixie Cougar & Solicea, HAWT (Husband And Wife Team) | Consortium (PCNA) Leader & Founder | Est. July 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie Cougar View Post
    One thing to add to the procedures... most recommend that you don't "eliminate the volge," instead kill all but the Viscera, then do your invites. That way you can bypass the idiotic timers.

I'm guessing you know this by your reference to the "viscera phase" it's just not explicit in the steps at the beginning.
    I thought: There are 2 possible situations when you enter: Either you entered a fresh instance where you have to "Explore the Arkbreach" or one that is ongoing with randoms clearing the upper storey.

The first situation has no enemies in the first place which gives enough time to invite people until you enter the Viscera Phase.

The second phase requires you to get your mates in as quickly as possible if you dont want the locks to be broken. Because once you jump beneath you should start organizing the crowd through the teamchat.

This way I havent seen any lockbreaks for awhile. And I've been organizing them for quite awhile. Can't even remember my last defeat.

EDIT: I see your point now, Dixie. I will point it out on a side note, since it isn't a key factor to win a warmaster. What I want to emphasize/introduce is a "Invitation Phase" before doing anything else.

P.S. Would anybody be so kind and proofread what I wrote? PM me the corrected phrases. I'm from germany, but still wish to improve my knowledge for when I decide to write a thesis in your honourable language :P

You don't need a guide, just use smgs on his armour and high crit smg/AR or wikdcat/wolfy/golden ring on his yellow crit spot... Always go for his back even when he jumps up.. It's not exactly rocket science.
    Defiance 2050 - EU XBOX ONE | Clan: Ark Legion Elite | GT: mech | ign: tom
    Defiance - EU XBOX 360 | Clan: Ark Legion Elite | GT: mech | ign: tom

Fortitude (+15% HP) is a must for "shield-break-focused" builds

Waste of time, there is always someone with protection spikes or a bmg... Go with survivor ARK shield.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWF View Post
    Fortitude (+15% HP) is a must for "shield-break-focused" builds
    Yep. I use it myself on my support/buff build with Wetwork and Heartbreaker. Thanks for the hint. I just didnt wrote it down, because I don't really need that extra buffer.

I found the Perk Regeneration alot more useful for when you are not using sth like Ironclad III Regeneration DX. Without mentioned ability there is a delay until HP starts regenerating. This somehow saved my a** a few times. But then again, other might have different experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by duction View Post
    You don't need a guide. [...] It's not exactly rocket science.
    I think differently. It increases overall awareness. Gives additional information as to gamemechanics. And I intend to link different sources into it aswell, which are helpful & interesting. Also there are alot of quite complex elements like the Falloff DMG Curves and as mentioned above combination of effects, delays, durations.

Also if someone would tell me to do anything without proper reasoning. I'd just ignore him. And I try to give them proper reasoning with this guide.

You're right about with the part "weapon choice". It is sth that most ppl can get to know elsewhere. You can just write in chat: "Use X and Y." . But then again you find ppl who think "Why is V and W inferior or bad?". You can either explain everything to him or reference simply to this guide~ So it's uses are quite broad. And I hope to work together with all of you to make compact multi-purpose guide.

It's been done to death, use the search bar.

So let's try to do it differently.
    (2 Guides (Logain, Miss Teri) and 1 Picture-Guide is not the definition of "tried it to death")

Anyway enough with that silly discussion. Leave my thread alone, if you are not interested in the contents. Anything else could be considered trolling