+ Reply to Thread

Season 3 has completely ruined Irisa

For the entire first 2 seasons of the show, Irisa has had a habit of overreacting to situations, and Nolan has consistently had to tell her to put various blades down, starting with Doc Yewll's scalpel in the pilot episode. Throughout most of Season 2, she doesn't even object to killing random strangers who pose no threat whatsoever to her; she only starts resisting "Irzu" when told to kill people she personally knows.

The webisode series that takes place between seasons 1 and 2 goes even further and establishes that Irisa was ready to sink knives into people's necks before ever seeing Nolan kill anyone and without being told by Nolan to do it. She was pretty much born a stone-cold killer.

Then season 3 comes along and she's not even willing to use weapons in self-defense. In s3e5, she says "We both grew up with blood on our hands. It made you okay with killing, but not me. I hated it then and I hate it now." Ummm what? BULLCRAP! It's one thing for her to be a bit traumatized by the destruction of New York and the death of her pseudo-boyfriend. It's another thing to completely ignore her entire history and personality. I haven't seen writers take such a huge steaming dump on a character since Robocop 2.

I own it to PTSD. Poor kiddo, went through A LOT of trauma. She'll continue to grow, I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by irisawifi View Post
    I own it to PTSD. Poor kiddo, went through A LOT of trauma. She'll continue to grow, I'm sure.
    Yeah, she basically nuked NYC killing millions. She is actually taking pretty well imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Nefarious View Post
    Yeah, she basically nuked NYC killing millions. She is actually taking pretty well imo.
    And she also killed Tommy, which I think is the main thing that has affected her.
    In-Game Name: Chase Lonehart
    Feel free to check out my idea threads:
    Gameplay Idea: Historical Salvage - Idea: Machinima Making Tools for Defiance

Quote Originally Posted by Nefarious View Post

I agree. I'm glad she hasn't recovered yet. It wouldn't be realistic. Heck, she may NEVER recover. I do hope for the best for her... this last episode had me sobbing.

Clan Founder, PC/NA
    Voices of Defiance Podcast

Oh definitely! It was done directly by her hand. That can't be forgotten anytime soon. Seeing "him" this week was heartbreaking.

Actually, with the whole volunteer force wiped out by a pyro explosion right in front of her,
    I think they should just keep breaking her down - more disabled, more broken mentally, completely helpless.
    That would increase the pathos, drama, and conflict - as Nolan tried to be the Hero...

They hinted at a new relationship for her - it looks like she is going to become an Alien wifey and full time baby sitter now...

Which would be the hook: She is helpless and avoid violence - except when someone threatens the baby or Defiance Children.
    (Right back to Season 1 when Nolan turned around because he couldn't abandon the town's children to be wiped out by the Volge.
    Irisa was right, if they left - well, the whole show would be very different.
    It would be sweet if they did an 'alternate timeline' show view of if he listened to her - and the left the town to get wiped out, and just sold the ark tech and moved south. The E-REP and East Coast USA would still exist while Nolan and Irisa went fishing down south. So the millions wiped out by Irisa is all Nolan's fault - he should have just listened to Irisa and left town...)