+ Reply to Thread

In-Game Oddities: Story or Glitch?

So... there's some odd stuff in our Game World of Defiance. Or at least, I think it's odd. I've only been playing since spring, but in-between battles I like to explore this vast terraformed earth the devs have put before us. It takes a little GTA-style maneuvering and a lot of patience, but I've got 2 or 3 things that I've seen that I can't explain. Maybe you've seen them too.

#1) Lonely Island - Now, a lot of places you might find accidentally are actually Side-Mission destinations. I kinda assumed, after I found it, that this spot was linked to the 'Lonely Scientist' side-mission (I hadn't done it yet, at that point). It's not. For those of you who haven't found it yet, it's a small greyed-out island a little north of Bug-n-Chug that is kinda hard to get to. You have to find the smallest area of water between the island and the mainland and start jumping (you start fading out the instant you touch the water--Blur is your friend, here). Once on the island, you'll get a Location Prompt on your screen showing that you are on 'Lonely Island'. Beyond the prompt and the difficulty getting there, there's little else to say about it. However, once you go there, it remains on your map--just like any other named place.

#2) Cross at Roadside Parking - This one is actually a side-mission spot. One of the 'Angel of Death' side missions, if I remember correctly. I suppose most people don't really take notice of this area because it's tiny and part of a series, mission-wise. However, after defeating the smattering of Raiders right next to the road, look towards the back. There is a small, very slight hill with a tree in the shape of a 'Y' a little further back. In front of that tree is a cross. Now, that might not be so odd, but the cross is fairly large and unadorned. No Raider paint or skulls. It's not really nice enough to be a roadside shrine, being haphazardly nailed together and even slightly crooked. However, judging by the TWO RAIDERS GUARDING IT (they respawn there, separate from the main group), I have to assume its some sort of grave marker. Maybe even a certain someone's. (But I also have to assume the Raider's self-imposed King would have something more like a heap of flaming skulls in the shape of a middle-finger. And it's actually there before you ever even know who he is--I checked with my alt, who's only 2 missions into Season 1). If this is a throw-back to some Christmas event of year's past, then fine. Otherwise I don't know why it would be there, or why it would need it's own honor guard (of RAIDERS!). For those of you who haven't unlocked the Side Mission that points to it, or just want to take a second look, it's just a little ways out from Top Notch. If you look carefully at the map (it's small, even at full magnification), there's a distinct circle with a line pointing to the center. That's it. Go pay your respects. (But bring a gun).

#3) Fourth Hidden Vendor - Almost certainly a one-time glitch as I've never seen it again (there were other players present at the time--if you remember this, FESS UP. I'm tired of feeling like an insane person), this happened early in my Arkhunter career (so--Spring of this year. Probably around April). I didn't know what I had stumbled upon when it happened. In fact, I'm not sure exactly WHERE it happened. It was a public event, so likely an incursion and, it was either at (or around) Happy Pow or Tower's Quarry. I realize those are two very different places, but I had been certain it was Happy Pow except everyone I know on Defiance says that Incursions do not, nor have ever happened there. All I know was after the event was done, two men ran out of a building and one of them was a vendor. He had, among other things, the Plum Crazy and Silver Dodge Challengers in his inventory. As my clanmates had these cars already, I didn't think anything of passing up the opportunity to buy one. I had no idea of their rarity. I speculate, due to the instability of incursions at the time, that the event accidentally triggered something that gave us access to the previously removed Dodge Challenger Vendor. Whatever the case, I temporarily had access to these classic cars but did nothing.

Has anyone else found anything of interest in the Game World of Defiance? I'd love to experience them.

(P.S. - So there's these weird cross-shaped signs everywhere in the Northern Bay Area. The ones that kinda look like a blue and red face with a scar across one eye. -What are these? I kinda assumed they were silent advertising for the Thorn Liro--since it's a blood circuit, but honestly I have no idea. Anyone know?)

Quote Originally Posted by Fenikkusu Gatou View Post
    So... there's some odd stuff in our Game World of Defiance. Or at least, I think it's odd. I've only been playing since spring, but in-between battles I like to explore this vast terraformed earth the devs have put before us. It takes a little GTA-style maneuvering and a lot of patience, but I've got 2 or 3 things that I've seen that I can't explain. Maybe you've seen them too.

#1) Lonely Island - Now, a lot of places you might find accidentally are actually Side-Mission destinations. I kinda assumed, after I found it, that this spot was linked to the 'Lonely Scientist' side-mission (I hadn't done it yet, at that point). It's not. For those of you who haven't found it yet, it's a small greyed-out island a little north of Bug-n-Chug that is kinda hard to get to. You have to find the smallest area of water between the island and the mainland and start jumping (you start fading out the instant you touch the water--Blur is your friend, here). Once on the island, you'll get a Location Prompt on your screen showing that you are on 'Lonely Island'. Beyond the prompt and the difficulty getting there, there's little else to say about it. However, once you go there, it remains on your map--just like any other named place.
    Yes, there are a few areas that have no associated missions with them. Perhaps they did at some point, perhaps not. Perhaps they are simply put in there for fun. Maybe, like Diablo Lighthouse, it will become something for future missions.

(#2) Cross at Roadside Parking - This one is actually a side-mission spot. One of the 'Angel of Death' side missions, if I remember correctly. I suppose most people don't really take notice of this area because it's tiny and part of a series, mission-wise. However, after defeating the smattering of Raiders right next to the road, look towards the back. There is a small, very slight hill with a tree in the shape of a 'Y' a little further back. In front of that tree is a cross. Now, that might not be so odd, but the cross is fairly large and unadorned. No Raider paint or skulls. It's not really nice enough to be a roadside shrine, being haphazardly nailed together and even slightly crooked. However, judging by the TWO RAIDERS GUARDING IT (they respawn there, separate from the main group), I have to assume its some sort of grave marker. Maybe even a certain someone's. (But I also have to assume the Raider's self-imposed King would have something more like a heap of flaming skulls in the shape of a middle-finger. And it's actually there before you ever even know who he is--I checked with my alt, who's only 2 missions into Season 1). If this is a throw-back to some Christmas event of year's past, then fine. Otherwise I don't know why it would be there, or why it would need it's own honor guard (of RAIDERS!). For those of you who haven't unlocked the Side Mission that points to it, or just want to take a second look, it's just a little ways out from Top Notch. If you look carefully at the map (it's small, even at full magnification), there's a distinct circle with a line pointing to the center. That's it. Go pay your respects. (But bring a gun).
    Yes, I think I remember the grave there. It is a grave, many of them in the Bay, three graveyards as well. Nothing too special.

(#3) Fourth Hidden Vendor - Almost certainly a one-time glitch as I've never seen it again (there were other players present at the time--if you remember this, FESS UP. I'm tired of feeling like an insane person), this happened early in my Arkhunter career (so--Spring of this year. Probably around April). I didn't know what I had stumbled upon when it happened. In fact, I'm not sure exactly WHERE it happened. It was a public event, so likely an incursion and, it was either at (or around) Happy Pow or Tower's Quarry. I realize those are two very different places, but I had been certain it was Happy Pow except everyone I know on Defiance says that Incursions do not, nor have ever happened there. All I know was after the event was done, two men ran out of a building and one of them was a vendor. He had, among other things, the Plum Crazy and Silver Dodge Challengers in his inventory. As my clanmates had these cars already, I didn't think anything of passing up the opportunity to buy one. I had no idea of their rarity. I speculate, due to the instability of incursions at the time, that the event accidentally triggered something that gave us access to the previously removed Dodge Challenger Vendor. Whatever the case, I temporarily had access to these classic cars but did nothing.

Has anyone else found anything of interest in the Game World of Defiance? I'd love to experience them.
    I only know of three hidden vendors - Caretaker Cabin, Crystal Pond, Hermit's Hideaway. You might also count the one that shows up in the emergency where the vendor is under attack, but they never sell anything rare.

(P.S. - So there's these weird cross-shaped signs everywhere in the Northern Bay Area. The ones that kinda look like a blue and red face with a scar across one eye. -What are these? I kinda assumed they were silent advertising for the Thorn Liro--since it's a blood circuit, but honestly I have no idea. Anyone know?)
    Yes, they are Thorn Liro logos that someone stuck up everywhere.

As for other point of interest, well the posters at The Crater and other areas can give you something to read but not much there. Enemies say some fun things when they don't know you're there (Raiders talk a lot about getting high). E-Rep soldier at Overpass who eats in front of you when you arrive. Squirrels and bunnies and seagulls. Climbing up the Transamerica building.

Quote Originally Posted by Escyos View Post
    Yes, there are a few areas that have no associated missions with them. Perhaps they did at some point, perhaps not. Perhaps they are simply put in there for fun. Maybe, like Diablo Lighthouse, it will become something for future missions.

Yes, I think I remember the grave there. It is a grave, many of them in the Bay, three graveyards as well. Nothing too special.

I only know of three hidden vendors - Caretaker Cabin, Crystal Pond, Hermit's Hideaway. You might also count the one that shows up in the emergency where the vendor is under attack, but they never sell anything rare.

Yes, they are Thorn Liro logos that someone stuck up everywhere.

As for other point of interest, well the posters at The Crater and other areas can give you something to read but not much there. Enemies say some fun things when they don't know you're there (Raiders talk a lot about getting high). E-Rep soldier at Overpass who eats in front of you when you arrive. Squirrels and bunnies and seagulls. Climbing up the Transamerica building.
    Like I said, the vendor thing had to have been a glitch. I know of the 3 hidden vendors, and this wasn't one of them. I can't explain it, I just know what I saw and I know others saw it too, since it was a public battle (it was really early in the morning though).

And the grave thing was interesting because I've never seen one by itself before. I know of the graveyards, but this is just one grave. With it's own set of enemies. If you've seen other isolated gravesites can you tell me where? I get bored in-between battles and I like exploring.

The fact that the enemies interact with each other when out of combat situations is a fun perk. Hearing mutants talk to each other is kinda chilling, since they casually talk about genocide (I bet Dark Matter is similar). And Raiders are just funny. One of the Raiders hanging around the Moonshine Shack actually said 'This place sucks.' I LOL'd. -Then I killed his ***.

Is the Transamerica building in SV?

Quote Originally Posted by Fenikkusu Gatou View Post
    Is the Transamerica building in SV?
    No its the tall building in Downtown in San Francisco.