+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Season 3 DVD question - Is this the actual DVD?

I recently bought the Season 3 DVD used from FYE, and I've noticed something odd with the encoding of the DVD.

As you can see from the three screen caps, the quality of the footage looks rather fuzzy or noticeably bad encoding in certain spots, and this is from the first episode alone. I compared it to the two previous seasons DVDs and noticed that they were sharper in comparison to Season 3 . I thought for a moment that that I may have accidentally purchased a pirated copy that was sold to FYE without their knowing, but I began to check the discs to see if they were legit. So far, everything about them seems correct, as they have labels that match the previous two seasons DVDs design (basically the same image, only this one in orange pressed onto the disc), no paper labels (which are usually used for pirated copies), all the artwork match and the disc glowing silver instead of any other color when light shines on it. Another thing that made me wonder if this was a pirated copy was the DVD menus. Previously, they had the motion playing menus, meaning that there was video playing behind the menu options, which were text based, and had the Defiance logo at the top of the screen. For my copy of the Season 3 DVD, it just has a static image of the cover image, no Defiance logo and five icons that don't have text to indicate what is what until you select them. The DVD case is the clear one, having the double sided DVD cover art sleeve like the last two, and it has a cardboard slip cover like the others, but I noticed that the cover isn't glued all the way down at the seam and the Defiance logo and box indicating the deleted scenes for the special features are embossed (basically sticking out in comparison to the rest).

So, my question is, is this how the DVD is for the Season 3 release or did FYE buy and sell me a rather impressive pirated copy without their knowledge? I don't know if the latter is even possible because they typically check their DVDs, and the former seams kinda possible because of the fact that its the show's final season and they probably just wanted to get the DVD out so to appease fans and not caring about the quality and encoded the video poorly (seriously, this is like 1990s Universal DVD disc encoding by how it looks. I know because I have some of their earlier DVD releases).
    In-Game Name: Chase Lonehart
    Feel free to check out my idea threads:
    Gameplay Idea: Historical Salvage - Idea: Machinima Making Tools for Defiance

Seriously, to anyone who has Season 3 on DVD, can y'all confirm if this is how the DVD is suppose to look or not? I just want to make sure here.

I haven't bought or really even looked at the DVD copy of season 3 but you can try checking the Amazon page for it in comparison to yours.
    One thing that sticks out is its 3 discs with deleted scenes bonuses on each disc and even the 1 and 2 star reviews mention nothing of a picture image quality this low.

Its quite possible its a real copy and just faulty but the quality of the images you posted makes me believe its a pirate. Even then thats low quality pirating material.
    PSN: Null_Wolf

Merchandising, merchandising, where the real money from the game is made. Defiance-the T-shirt, Defiance-the Coloring Book, Defiance-the Lunch box, Defiance-the Breakfast Cereal, Defiance-the Flame Thrower, Defiance-the Bitstore.

Quote Originally Posted by NullWolf View Post
    I haven't bought or really even looked at the DVD copy of season 3 but you can try checking the Amazon page for it in comparison to yours.
    One thing that sticks out is its 3 discs with deleted scenes bonuses on each disc and even the 1 and 2 star reviews mention nothing of a picture image quality this low.

Its quite possible its a real copy and just faulty but the quality of the images you posted makes me believe its a pirate. Even then thats low quality pirating material.
    I actually checked Amazon before checking here. And out of looking at the 1 and 2 star reviews, I only found one notation of "poor video quality", but no one else. It didn't indicate if it was the DVD, Blu-Ray or digital release via Amazon. I'm hoping that maybe someone else here who has the DVD may be able to confirm that if its how the actual DVD is or if FYE failed to check the DVD like they normally do.

Okay, is there anyone else who has the Season 3 DVD who can confirm if this is how the DVDs are? Please?

Seriously? No one else here has the Season 3 DVD?

Sol 3, Sol System, Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
    The easiest way to tell if a dvd is a knockoff is the images side of the disk.. if it looks or feels papery compared too a legit dvd then its 99% certain a copy, I'm sure there are better ways though.

BTW season 3 is on 4 disks like S2, not sure about S1 as I've lent it to someone,
    having watched all 3 season recently on DVD (on a 27" 1080p TV, DVD playing upscaled on my XB1) I noticed no quality differences, not that I was particularly looking

Quote Originally Posted by Clarity Page View Post
    The easiest way to tell if a dvd is a knockoff is the images side of the disk.. if it looks or feels papery compared too a legit dvd then its 99% certain a copy, I'm sure there are better ways though.
    As I've stated in my first post, the labels are like the previous discs, where the graphic is printed on the disc, no paper labels. And everything else seems to match the previous seasons (clear case, double-sided DVD cover with artwork on both sides).

BTW season 3 is on 4 disks like S2, not sure about S1 as I've lent it to someone,
    having watched all 3 season recently on DVD (on a 27" 1080p TV, DVD playing upscaled on my XB1) I noticed no quality differences, not that I was particularly looking
    There were 13 episodes of Season 3, with two of them being edited together as one and the episode count on the DVD lists 12 episodes, which reflects that count, and listed on three DVDs on my copy. And Amazon states there's three discs as well.

So far, it's looking like I just got a bad copy. My freakin' luck.

You tried checking the Syfy website? Since this forum is more for the game. Heck half the playerbase hardly knows it was also a tv show.
    PS3 NA - SuperGrrl81
    Clan - Severed Remnants

Sol 3, Sol System, Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
    Quote Originally Posted by CB2001 View Post
    There were 13 episodes of Season 3, with two of them being edited together as one and the episode count on the DVD lists 12 episodes, which reflects that count, and listed on three DVDs on my copy. And Amazon states there's three discs as well.

So far, it's looking like I just got a bad copy. My freakin' luck.

Just realised My copy is the PAL region 2 version which might be on more disks to make space for all the subtitle options... maybe