+ Reply to Thread

A real solution for idle farmers

It's probably safe to say that the excessive amount of alternate accounts that are littering the game are causing much of the unnecessary latency that the rest of us have to deal with

Idling in PVP with absolutely 0 participation for free arkforge, keycodes, and echelon reputation; and idling at event majors ensuring their jackpots tenfolds over the players actually putting work into clearing the arkfall

Problem: IDLING with excessive alternates provides more benefits than players actually playing the game and also simultaneously create a hindrance on the players' gameplay: something is wrong.

Solution: Use the "distance traveled" mechanics to at least ensure participation.

Alternate accounts will no longer be cluttering every event and skewing PVP team sorting, no longer deepening the trench between new player and old player in the "jackpot" driven game economy, and no longer causing lag after events when the automated bots all start porting to new locations all at once, only to idle again.

ba'alaraphim PC-NA PVE ------< Sanctuaries >------ superba'al PC-NA PVP

Bump and also elaboration: Use the "distance traveled" mechanic with a minimum requirement of distance covered for player to be counted for participation.

Periodic checkpoints to ensure they don't arrive just to run in a circle and afk anyway?

Lots of views but no voices of opposition... Good suggestion?

In my opinion, not really. During events, people teleport en mass to arkfalls. By using the distance traveled as the only criteria, you'd be nullifying 75% or more of the legit players. Unless I'm just missing something in your idea.

I personally don't care about alts but perhaps there's another way...just not reward anyone who doesn't get say 5-10k score based on damage. Or, just bring back damage base rewards period...would cut down on healers too.
    PS3 NA

Quote Originally Posted by Mrdr View Post
    In my opinion, not really. During events, people teleport en mass to arkfalls. By using the distance traveled as the only criteria, you'd be nullifying 75% or more of the legit players. Unless I'm just missing something in your idea.

I personally don't care about alts but perhaps there's another way...just not reward anyone who doesn't get say 5-10k score based on damage. Or, just bring back damage base rewards period...would cut down on healers too.
    Why would it nullify 75% of the legit players? I'm talking about distance traveled within the red circle of the major arkfall

Example, every few minutes the player needs to have accumulated at least 300m--- which makes sense because the people clearing the arkfall (participating) are moving around looking for every last foe.

A minimum score is less helpful imo, because then they could bring their alts, get the minimum score........ and then idle for the remainder.

What about a combo of two checkpoints that reads distance traveled and whether "in combat"? Surely there's a mechanic for that since there are perks for "when out of combat"

Is it possible to just limit 1 toon active at a time per ip address?
    "After your death you will be what you were before your birth." -Arthur Schopenhauer
    "Its a grind grind it's a grind it's a grind grind Its a grind grind it's a grind it's a grind grind Its a grind grind it's a grind it's a grind grind it's a grind grind it's a grind"- Soul Coughing -Bus To Beelzebub

Quote Originally Posted by missmar View Post
    Why would it nullify 75% of the legit players? I'm talking about distance traveled within the red circle of the major arkfall
    Ah ha! That makes perfect sense now. I though you meant travelling to the red circle...

Example, every few minutes the player needs to have accumulated at least 300m--- which makes sense because the people clearing the arkfall (participating) are moving around looking for every last foe.

A minimum score is less helpful imo, because then they could bring their alts, get the minimum score........ and then idle for the remainder.

What about a combo of two checkpoints that reads distance traveled and whether "in combat"? Surely there's a mechanic for that since there are perks for "when out of combat"
    Except, it is far easier and far faster (literally in seconds) to run 300m than it is to accumulate 10k worth of damage only points (not teamwork, reviving, healing, etc...just damage). Plus, because they must inflict damage they will at least be contributing to the efforts.
    PS3 NA

Quote Originally Posted by Calm like a Bomb View Post
    Is it possible to just limit 1 toon active at a time per ip address?
    Yes but the PC crowd would literally have aneurisms if they did this. You see, on , PC all you have to do is open multiple windows to run alts so it's very easy for them. Console users must have a console connected (and I believe with different PSN/Xbox live accounts as well) for each alt to be online at the same time. This is why I think it's not as big of a problem for the console world.
    PS3 NA

If anything like this is implemented it would literally screw over many on x360 and ps3... & that's not the world that has the issue with TONS of alts because we can't run multiple defiance clients on one console.

I usually play on PS3 but I have a PC account as well. I got on PC to do a few event AF runs and noticed there is a huge difference in what I experience on console vs what I experienced on PC. On PS3, there are a few random AFK characters idling by at arkfalls, but on PC, there would be tons just standing around on the perimeter.

A character doesn't have to be at the actual major final as long as they have put any effort into an event AF. They will get a drop no matter where they are on the map as long as they stay in the same phase. But to count towards the daily/weekly, they do need to be at least within the greater red area. Why they think they need to be front and center contributing to the major by just being there is beyond me.