+ Reply to Thread

A very interesting article

Link to Article

Context:
    The Chinese government has passed new regulations that require games with blind loot boxes to make their item probabilities known to consumers.

Online games in China that feature blind loot boxes will be required to outline their drop probabilities in the future. That’s according to new regulations the Chinese government passed.

As translated by NeoGAF’s chillybright, the new law will go in effect on May 1, 2017. The verbiage states that publishers will need to announce information about name, property, content, quantity, and draw probability for any virtual item available for sale.

The law also asks publishers to make these odds clearly visible on the game’s website/store. This should cover free-to-play games as well as paid ones, so long as loot boxes are involved.

Here’s what the regulations state:

“2.6 – Online game publishers shall promptly publicly announce information about the name, property, content, quantity, and draw/forge probability of all virtual items and services that can be drawn/forge on the official website or a dedicated draw probability webpage of the game. The information on draw probability shall be true and effective.”

“2.7 – Online game publishers shall publicly announce the random draw results by customers on notable places of official website or in game, and keep record for government inquiry. The record must be kept for more than 90 days. When publishing the random draw results, some measures should be taken place to protect user privacy.”

This could have an effect on games that operate in the West and China, assuming drop rates are identical across regions.
    http://i.imgur.com/rqP0Qx6.png
    PC NA PVP GOD
    Main game now > Playerunknown's Battleground
    "It's not the weapon that's overpowered, it's how you use it that makes it overpowered"

I would welcome such laws, will never happen in this country I imagine.

If only those laws would be passed here.

Idk!

I'm not sure that would be a good idea for Defiance! I suspect that if players knew the drop rate probabilities in this game, they would be quitting even faster than they are now! Since I don't play for the loot, but for the camaraderie and FUN (which I often still find in the Defiance game), such legislation would be bad for me! And REALLY, what else matters! LOL!

All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players: they have their exits and their entrances; and one man in his time plays many parts, his acts being seven ages.

William Shakespeare

Belle Starr is on PC/NA. Her story is on the Defiance RP Forum http://defiancerpforum.freeforums.net/ & Belle Starr Short Stories on Defiance Data! It's a FUN read! If you see her patrolling the highways and byways of Paradise in her white Challenger, say howdy!

I would welcome a law such as that as it would apply pressure to gaming companies to be up front about their cash-grabbiness.
    As far as Belle's point is concerned: Player retention is being erroded DUE to Trion's poor model.
    If anything: Such a policy as what the Chinese are putting forward would be POSITIVE from a retention aspect. Why? Because companies using such damned shifty structures would HAVE to provide a proactive model.
    PC/NA
    Clan:
    Triade Toons: Tesla Whitenoise, Tex Arcana, AJ Katastrovich.
    "The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down. Of the big lake they call Gitche Gumee".

Do we really need to see a chart that Trion throws together that says:

Crap: 99.999%
    OJ: 0.001%

We're stupid. We know the drop chances, but we keep coming back.
    Vylet ... Out of ammo since day 1

Quote Originally Posted by Trick83 View Post
    Do we really need to see a chart that Trion throws together that says:

Crap: 99.999%
    OJ: 0.001%

We're stupid. We know the drop chances, but we keep coming back.
    Some of us are still playing; but also understand how these things work and have never bought the damned things.
    If a purchase has no guarantee of providing an immediate an direct benefit: The price is NEVER worth it.
    Especially in regard to pixels.
    PC/NA
    Clan:
    Triade Toons: Tesla Whitenoise, Tex Arcana, AJ Katastrovich.
    "The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down. Of the big lake they call Gitche Gumee".

It changes a lot Luiz - we will actually have an idea just how random the loot is. You shouldn't have to google it to find it. This should be standard across the world not just China.

Probability is not easy to understand. I recommend Wikipedia's entry on Probability Theory for a quick and easy first overview.