+ Reply to Thread

Can we get Loyalty in the PTS Caches?

If possible, it would be nice

I agree that would be nice...

3.   Click here to go to the next Defiance Team post in this thread.   #3
    I do understand that it would be nice to get some loyalty with the test crates. However, the test crates already come with everything that we are trying to test. Try and understand that the reason for testing on PTS is to test the current content, not previous content. If we placed loyalty in those crates, we would be encouraging players to go purchase older weapons, that have no bearing on the current testing environment. This is why we keep the purchasable content to only what is in the PTS crate at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Destromathe View Post
    I do understand that it would be nice to get some loyalty with the test crates. However, the test crates already come with everything that we are trying to test. Try and understand that the reason for testing on PTS is to test the current content, not previous content. If we placed loyalty in those crates, we would be encouraging players to go purchase older weapons, that have no bearing on the current testing environment. This is why we keep the purchasable content to only what is in the PTS crate at the time.

Thanks for your response Destromathe.. but allow me to play devil's advocate for a moment.

I am a former software testing engineer, and to thoroughly test a program you need to have access to all the permutations.

A: older code (weapons,features) mixing with newer can sometimes have unforeseen effects.

B: current testing population is limited to what they had copied over from live server in regards to older code, so that limits your testing sample of older weapons + newer weapons,shields Etc...

C: we really need to be able to test vanity packs to avoid malfunctions, and/or give feedback on if it will be remotely popular.

I love this game, just trying to give some friendly advice.

Yup agree with devlin.

My push is that this should be a pre-prod release candidate for PC at a minimum.

Given that customers are being asked to pitch in for final UAT using black-box testing, the greater parity there is to final production the less likely Trion will miss errors overall.

The current test strategy of omitting older changes through feature flags or switches has eliminated entire codepaths from the UAT process. This testing bias can result in regression failures from missed dependencies introduced by the new code or result in no UAT at all for new features like vanity bundles.

The current testing bias also misses a really important principle for product testing. Paid use cases are typically added to test plans as critical customer interactions that need UAT most (e.g. Bitboxes, Vanity Packs, etc). Failures in these use cases lead directly to revenue loss and paid customer retention issues for Trion. Beyond being just a development hygiene issue, the business should also measure these critical interactions in a Dupont dashboard that would detect revenue losses from bugs like these in near real-time to encourage the right behavior (E.g. See Dupont Modelling).

If Trion is interested in getting closer to zero-defect releases, a very simple change would be to expand the test strategy around UAT. The cost is near-zero to the development team, but it gives Trion product leaders a better sense of the real defect count and also includes critical features that your paid-user population use daily.

so the loyalty vendor was tested properly. why are there mods in there that useless for weapons in there still? players have been getting the same mods over and over again . the loyalty boxes need to be more random . so we dont get stuck getting the same mods or guns over and over again . i for one will never be using my points to any of them loyalty boxes ever .

sounds legit, thanks for the current pts cashes they are great.