+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

New Coding needed for Teamwork

For whatever reason it was coded that Arkfall Scoring caps at a certain point on damaging enemies, this needs to be changed.

Because the score caps at a certain point, players don't finish killing enemies, but simply move on to another and so forth, leaving enemies alive. It does not promote mass-fire on larger enemies, nor does it promote assembly line killing (where one would pick up after another moves on). The majority sprays-n-prays all over the place simply to raise their score. The current system actually works against teamwork.

If the cap was removed, players would have more of an incentive to kill the enemy they hit, and -then- move on to the next. Thus promoting teamwork at taking strategic enemies at different locations (ie snipers, feeders, etc). While others can still mass-fire on larger enemies to bring them down (ie bosses).

While a good number of players do go into arkfalls and fight with tactics, the incentives to do so are basically non-existent. Changing the score coding would go a long way to bringing the community together.

Evolution or Extinction

thats a good point. but there's even worse thing, there's OVERALL score cap - anything you get past 200k is wasted, since you cant get more than 200001 xp, 23 keys and 30 AF.

so if you're on PP, you hit it after 10 mins of shooting in Event Horizon finale and then you have zero incentive of continuing to do so.
    server: PC EU
    Chars: DSW & Syna Olmai, EGO 6000. Red Thugs

I agree the scoring isn't ideal for promoting team work. But one could argue that if we all chip away at random targets (when there are a lot of players, the challenge can be to find a target before it gets destroyed) we are sort of helping each other in a haphazard sort of way . For example, a Bulwark may be going after a friend, so I shoot at it to chase me instead... Sometimes getting enemies to get dizzy from chasing multiple players, helps everyone . Another aspect is the whole mod hunting thing - if we want more loot we need to shoot (not kill) more enemies and certain enemies tend to drop mods more...

Quote Originally Posted by DSW View Post
    so if you're on PP, you hit it after 10 mins of shooting in Event Horizon finale and then you have zero incentive of continuing to do so.
    Wow DSW, I knew you were good, but I didn't know you got 200k+ in 10 minutes . For me, if I can get to the minors before they vanish and if I can avoid dying, I'm lucky to get 100k+ . I don't think the 200k cap is a problem for many people (this is based on my screenshot records of nearly all the majors I have attended)!

Edit: Here is an example

I don't recall seeing people in the scoreboard top position with scores above 200k very often. I can only recall that in the sieges/incursions we did over the Clan Anniversary weekend (some were stage 26 I think).

thats a good point. but there's even worse thing, there's OVERALL score cap - anything you get past 200k is wasted, since you cant get more than 200001 xp, 23 keys and 30 AF.

Just got 327k at EH with only using a BR.

Ya I hit the OVERALL score cap alot at sieges and missions like the alamo, but I can only remember twice hitting it at an event major. Event majors pay poorly when it comes to keys and arkforge and I think its because of the enemy score cap Ryim mentioned. When the score tally doesnt wink out I can see that the scoring just stops at some point.

It would be nice to have a list of what contributes to the score per enemy. Teamwork is usually +5, Teamwork max is always +0, opportunist varies and seems to be what gives the most per enemy but that max's out also showing +0; assist adds a little, theres some with nano-kill, killshot or power kill. Ive also seen some odd ones like back breaker and monarch killer but what else is there to get score from?

Quote Originally Posted by Tasin View Post
    Just got 327k at EH with only using a BR.
    Yep I did see that and congratz but, the rewards screen didnt give you that much. I can get over a million at the alamo but it still maxes out at 2000001 xp 23 keys and 30 af on the rewards screen. And of course you got that score by moving around and hitting everything as Ryim said theres no incentive to stay on a target until its dead. And that could be why it took over 20mins to finish, not enuf people working as a team to kill enemies (not that I could see if anyone was working together once the players phased out).

Quote Originally Posted by Darknessss View Post
    Yep I did see that and congratz but, the rewards screen didnt give you that much. I can get over a million at the alamo but it still maxes out at 2000001 xp 23 keys and 30 af on the rewards screen. And of course you got that score by moving around and hitting everything as Ryim said theres no incentive to stay on a target until its dead. And that could be why it took over 20mins to finish, not enuf people working as a team to kill enemies (not that I could see if anyone was working together once the players phased out).
    I've been asking them to remove the score cap for a while. I can easily get 300k in a 15 min siege. Really pointless to put in the effort when the rewards don't increase.

The problem with "chipping away" at the enemies, Light, is that (especially with EH), the mobs can regen/reset. Making for a long, boring arkfall.

And not many can pass 200k score on PC NA. Seems PC EU a bit different then. Even with score hogs, I rarely see scores over 150k, and I think the times I've seen anyone over 200k has been twice.

And yes, there's a lot wrong (or at least not ideally adjusted) to the scoring system. Which is the point I'd like to get across to the Devs. We need a revamp badly and it needs to be thought out.

@Darknesss: I always thought that a "Max +0" score meant you had obtained the max points in that field. I may well be mistaken, and yes, it would be nice if we could get a list of how it's actually scored.

Of course, I asked in a ticket once for a "manual" on the game. CS told me that there "...was plenty of information on the internet to explain the game...". Which I took as "...we're far to lazy to actually write down this stuff and tell it to you...", so I won't hold my breath for an explanation of the scoring system.

Evolution or Extinction

Quote Originally Posted by Ryim View Post
    The problem with "chipping away" at the enemies, Light, is that (especially with EH), the mobs can regen/reset. Making for a long, boring arkfall.

And not many can pass 200k score on PC NA. Seems PC EU a bit different then. Even with score hogs, I rarely see scores over 150k, and I think the times I've seen anyone over 200k has been twice.

And yes, there's a lot wrong (or at least not ideally adjusted) to the scoring system. Which is the point I'd like to get across to the Devs. We need a revamp badly and it needs to be thought out.

@Darknesss: I always thought that a "Max +0" score meant you had obtained the max points in that field. I may well be mistaken, and yes, it would be nice if we could get a list of how it's actually scored.

Of course, I asked in a ticket once for a "manual" on the game. CS told me that there "...was plenty of information on the internet to explain the game...". Which I took as "...we're far to lazy to actually write down this stuff and tell it to you...", so I won't hold my breath for an explanation of the scoring system.
    The scoreboard only shows the score without boosts. Today i scored 240k at an arkfall yet the scoreboard said 180k.

Ah yes...that is something I have only really noticed with EH. I have never seen so many Bulwarks run away to recharge their shields and health! The run towards me, I retreat a bit and as soon as I gain the upper hand they run back to the centre. Very annoying and tiresome after a while.

Does anyone read manuals any more? The most I've read for games is usually a little DVD insert booklet, PDF or some online guide by some helpful players. The forum and defiancedata.com have helped a lot...as have other players, friends and clan mates. Also, just fumbing around, trying different nanos, weapons, tactics etc has taught me a bit...

@Tasin: Oh, you including the score boost for Patron Pass...that explains it .