+ Reply to Thread

Returning Player With Questions

I use to play on Xbox when the game first came out. Actually bought the hard copy of Defiance before the game went FTP in the market. It's been a while now and I've gotten bored of Warframe, so I decided to pick Defiance back up on PC. I started by watching the show from start to finish, which brought up some questions. Defiance was based or intermingled with the show, and with the show's apparent cancellation I wanted to know a few things. 1. Has the game died along with the show? 2. With the death of the show, how is the story going to continue? 3. IF the story IS to continue on in within the game does that mean at some point within the game's future that the St. Luis area will be added to the game seeing as the show mainly took place in the town of Defiance? I want to get back into Defiance, I really do. The game was awesome when I played it, but with the death of the show I've got my doubts about the longevity of the game, and for good reason.

Show was cancelled 2 years ago.
    JP Rig Info
    sig by Tauriiel

Not sure how far you got on Xbox, but there hasn't been any content update since Silicon Valley.

1. The game hasn't died, but it has stagnated.
    2. The "old" response from Trion was that the story in the game was going to continue even with the show's cancellation. I've not seen much in that regard, as a personal observation.
    3. I highly doubt the game will ever put in new content (ie expand the map).

My reasoning for #3 isn't the Devs not wanting to do this. It is my personal opinion that Trion is suffocating Defiance because the suits with the money can't see the potential and have no clue how to actually run a video game to make money. The fact that they are still pouring cash into that cesspit called Atlas Reactor is one point that I think underscores my opinion.

Due to lack of corporate backing to Defiance, I believe this wonderful game is going to slowly dwindle and die. I hope I am wrong as I love the game, but the lack of any significant updates in games is almost always a sign that the game is no longer supported by upper management.

To answer your main point of the longevity of the game, I believe it will be here as long as the Devs can convince corporate that they can still make money from it. The Devs obviously love the game as much as we do, but can only do so much before the bosses step in. How long the actual time frame will be? Your guess is as good as anyone else.

Evolution or Extinction

Quote Originally Posted by Ryim View Post
    Not sure how far you got on Xbox, but there hasn't been any content update since Silicon Valley.

1. The game hasn't died, but it has stagnated.
    2. The "old" response from Trion was that the story in the game was going to continue even with the show's cancellation. I've not seen much in that regard, as a personal observation.
    3. I highly doubt the game will ever put in new content (ie expand the map).

My reasoning for #3 isn't the Devs not wanting to do this. It is my personal opinion that Trion is suffocating Defiance because the suits with the money can't see the potential and have no clue how to actually run a video game to make money. The fact that they are still pouring cash into that cesspit called Atlas Reactor is one point that I think underscores my opinion.

Due to lack of corporate backing to Defiance, I believe this wonderful game is going to slowly dwindle and die. I hope I am wrong as I love the game, but the lack of any significant updates in games is almost always a sign that the game is no longer supported by upper management.

To answer your main point of the longevity of the game, I believe it will be here as long as the Devs can convince corporate that they can still make money from it. The Devs obviously love the game as much as we do, but can only do so much before the bosses step in. How long the actual time frame will be? Your guess is as good as anyone else.
    and this right here is why ive decided to take action and create a tv series out of the game. using cutscenes and gameplay. ive posted this in the forums already. But my fear of losing Defiance and being shut down inspired me to do this project. ive already finished episode 1 and ive watched it start to finish. the first episode is good. Of course i had/ have some restrictions with what i can do wtih it. so far i believe i can create 2 seasons out of it if not then a longer then the actual tv show season. So if we do loose defiance in the near future, i hope that this project substitues what we lost. you cant really replace the playing part is why i say substitue. anyways i do have your same concerns

My advice is not to sink any money into this game until they make a concerted effort to rectify a lot of the games bugs and issues, I'm now of the opinion that buying patron passes etc is just rewarding them for ineptitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryim View Post
    I had planned on putting $50 into Steam for the Gold Edition for the DLC as well as bringing two people over from Warframe with me, but seeing as there have been no actual updates outside Arkfall events it's like you said above. And you're right. That usually means the upcoming shutdown of a game. So I suppose I'll find something else for now, but I'll keep a close eye on the development of Defiance and hope that it turns around. As far as the question of how much I had played before, it was a daily thing for me. At the time I had quit I believe I was EGO rating 1400. Had played for about 2-3 months if I recall correctly.

According to the live stream a couple hours ago, there is no plan for adding any more story driven content that coincides with the show...
    "It is what it is..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Destromathe View Post
    I can assure you that we care deeply about Defiance.
    PSN-rebtattoo IGN-Reb Aingeal
    PS3na
    187 Syndicate

Sad. I liked this game but from the looks of things, it just seems to be a matter of time before it's all over. The recent Armistice event and the associated lockbox push just seems to be a chance to grab as much as possible while they still can.