+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Lag Is Not Really Trion's Fault

After doing about a month's worth of research. I have come to the conclusion that lag in Defiance is not entirely trion's fault.

There are so many variables when to comes to lag, that pinpointing one and saying that is the cause of lag that it can be all wrong. Factors like time of day, internet speed or bandwidth, machine settings, graphic card settings, firewalls and the list goes on and on.

One of the greatest falsehoods I have ever heard is when a gamer or anyone says well I have great and fast internet speed, I did all the speedtests and I am really really fast so it's not my connection.
    Wrong the port that speedtests use is left wide open on purpose and it's speed does not transfer to the other ports that are used for other internet tasks such as online gaming.

Here's the biggest problem we all suffer from;

It seems that our ISPs are very much at fault here. In years gone by lag wasn't too much of a factor, it was there but could be worked around. But since that the internet use has grown so much and there is insane amounts of traffic on it now days. ISPs have taken control of the firmware that our modems and routers use and they are throttling our bandwidth.

Internet gaming has also grown by leaps and bounds, it is multi Billion dollar business. I once saw a survey that said internet gaming out grosses the music business and the movie industry combined.

Anyways when Obama was president he tried to pass a bill called Equal Internet for Everyone or something like that, it was designed to in part do away with the ISP's practice of throttling internet usage. Needless to say it failed shot down by the ISP's lobbists.

Well my first experiment with Defiance was to shutdown windows firewall, not very safe but I did see a noticeable difference as far as lag went. Next I have a friend that bought a machine just like mine and we made them exact duplicates, so I invited him over with his machine because I know he runs norton antivirus and it's firewall and since he plays Defiance also it would be fun. So he and I played Defiance using the same modem at my place with all our settings matching. Only difference was he ran norton firewall and I ran windows firewall. What an eye opener that was both machines side by side with us glancing at each other's screen now and then at a couple event arkfalls. Needless to say after the third arkfall he exited game and uninstalled norton and then came back on using windows firewall. And then we were equally matched and seeing the same things as each other doing arkfalls. And last but not least we took turns not using windows firewall and we both could see the difference very plainly, between one on and the other off.

Now to cut to the chase, there is a way to bypass your ISP's throttling but since it works so well that the less said about it the better. Eventually they will catch on but for now its best to not spread it around and enjoy it before we have to re tweak the method.

BTW Please don't PM me here and ask, because I am not going to let the cat out of the bag. Besides that if you use your head you can find out how it's done. And when and if you do, Please keep your mouth shut or we all will be back to square one again.

people could just google it

Anyway Lag to me is down to Trion. Because they could implement certain things to help with the issues or up-grade servers. Also the lag is worse when the server is full. So to me its over population plays its part also add to it that some people have 10 accounts running with 300 plus inventory which is fine because trion allow it

To me thats the main cause. By putting in storage places so we dont have mass inventory would help.

I doubt it's overpopulation, like mitch said. NA has probably atleast 3x more players than EU, yet i get more lag on EU.

I think over population plays its part. Also it gets worse at events when a lot of people play. I mean there is lag a lot of the time but it gets 100% worse when events start.

Also sometimes it says when you try log on server full please wait ** mins.

Also people have pointed out other mmo games dont have lag and d/c problems like Defiance so if this is true it tells its own story

Trion i heard used to blame isps but people didnt fall for it then, And less so now

I find the more people in one place the more lag and more d/cs

It could also be the coding of the game that causes it. Either way i think Trion should be dealing with it, Not blaming outside sources

Lag is definatly on trions end, my internet is in the top 95% of the world, and my pc is vastly overspecced for defiance, 4.2ghz times 6 cores, and a Gtx 1080 ti, every other game plays like butter, on a 144hz monitor

They need to pay for better internet, and or servers, they are taking our money, but not investing it back in the game, there is nothing improving, only getting worse, I don't even know why am still here to be honest, I love the game, but it's getting harder and harder to justify playing it
    Antony Harrist - PC NA

Like everyone above said, its more of them not keeping up with the size of community online at once.

If it was our internet connections, we would be having issues in other games as well.
    aTastySandMitch - PC NA - Roanna (Ro-ah-nuh) - Ego Level 50 - Power Rating 1205 - Clan (PC): CORE Renegades

The "lag" in Defiance has nothing to do with ISP throttling, it is due to buggy code on both the client and the server and not enough resources on the consoles to deal their inefficient handling of data.

BTW, most PC protection suites like Norton's have functionality that monitor's network traffic for malware/viruses/etc, so of course it will impact latency, but they also provide users a way to bypass it for specific applications (like games) so there is no reason to uninstall it.

lag is not trions fault.....oookay i played wow alot over the years and i bought a high performance alienware m17xr3 gaming laptop to game with and on wow anyone that's played it, that place gets packed especially right after new patches/ x-pacs.

i run wow on ultra always and always sit on 20 ping or less the lowest FPS i get there is about 90 and all this on patch and xpac days as well ....but it must be my fault of course when i load defiance and five minz later scenery and people finally start to appear , and it must be my fault that when at an event that people vanish cars suddenly appear and mobs zoom across the field and mach 3 or don't move at all , somtimes they do a freaky dance across the field then 1 shot you from no where or sink into the floor or into a hill! yup all my fault!. totally agree

Quote Originally Posted by OverDoneOne View Post
    After doing about a month's worth of research. I have come to the conclusion that lag in Defiance is not entirely trion's fault.

There are so many variables when to comes to lag, that pinpointing one and saying that is the cause of lag that it can be all wrong. Factors like time of day, internet speed or bandwidth, machine settings, graphic card settings, firewalls and the list goes on and on.

One of the greatest falsehoods I have ever heard is when a gamer or anyone says well I have great and fast internet speed, I did all the speedtests and I am really really fast so it's not my connection.
    Wrong the port that speedtests use is left wide open on purpose and it's speed does not transfer to the other ports that are used for other internet tasks such as online gaming.

Here's the biggest problem we all suffer from;

It seems that our ISPs are very much at fault here. In years gone by lag wasn't too much of a factor, it was there but could be worked around. But since that the internet use has grown so much and there is insane amounts of traffic on it now days. ISPs have taken control of the firmware that our modems and routers use and they are throttling our bandwidth.

Internet gaming has also grown by leaps and bounds, it is multi Billion dollar business. I once saw a survey that said internet gaming out grosses the music business and the movie industry combined.

Anyways when Obama was president he tried to pass a bill called Equal Internet for Everyone or something like that, it was designed to in part do away with the ISP's practice of throttling internet usage. Needless to say it failed shot down by the ISP's lobbists.

Well my first experiment with Defiance was to shutdown windows firewall, not very safe but I did see a noticeable difference as far as lag went. Next I have a friend that bought a machine just like mine and we made them exact duplicates, so I invited him over with his machine because I know he runs norton antivirus and it's firewall and since he plays Defiance also it would be fun. So he and I played Defiance using the same modem at my place with all our settings matching. Only difference was he ran norton firewall and I ran windows firewall. What an eye opener that was both machines side by side with us glancing at each other's screen now and then at a couple event arkfalls. Needless to say after the third arkfall he exited game and uninstalled norton and then came back on using windows firewall. And then we were equally matched and seeing the same things as each other doing arkfalls. And last but not least we took turns not using windows firewall and we both could see the difference very plainly, between one on and the other off.

Now to cut to the chase, there is a way to bypass your ISP's throttling but since it works so well that the less said about it the better. Eventually they will catch on but for now its best to not spread it around and enjoy it before we have to re tweak the method.

BTW Please don't PM me here and ask, because I am not going to let the cat out of the bag. Besides that if you use your head you can find out how it's done. And when and if you do, Please keep your mouth shut or we all will be back to square one again.
    Ive played hundreds of online games in my lifetime and Defiance is the only game I have played that has lag as a feature lol! The only lag I ever get on my other Xbox 360 and PC games is due only to the lack of processing power that my 360 and laptop possesses. If I am lagging somehow it is always due to my router or inclement weather nothing else ever! Except on Defiance....

I can agree with OP that this can be a contributor, but overall it is not the main cause for lag. There are too many things that stand out visually, poor rendering and draw distance being a fine example.

If it was a simple case of isp throttling, we would have issues with other multi player games. ISP throttling does not cause my Playstation to turn off automatically and reset when I get disconnected .

Un Named Ps4 NA Critical error
    Johnny Gatt Ps3 NA Ego 6000 Clan Defiance Terminators
    Howie Felt 360 NA Ego 6000 Clan Legendary Guns
    Howie Felter Ps3 NA Ego 6000 Clan Defiance Most Hated
    No Slack 360 NA Ego 6000 Clan Legendary Guns-Inventory vendored. Toon retired.
    Molly Bushwhacker Ps3 Ego 6000 Clan Members Only- Inventory vendored. Toon retired