+ Reply to Thread

My MMO shut down, got a sec to update an old player?

In light of Firefall dying off (in a raging dumpster fire over the last 3 years I've been playing it), I'm looking around for another shoot-ey MMO. I played Defiance from ... I don't know, launch-ish to the 1.5 fiasco?

I'm sure these posts pop up from time to time, and I apologize if I'm adding to any kind of frequent annoyance for anyone, but I just had a few questions for anyone playing regularly before I reinvest in Defiance (since playing for a few hours may not really answer these questions):

Is it a bit more stable? I recall the game having horrible lag spikes often last I played it, though that could have been caused by mass login for the 1.5xx patches.

Is the whole Silicon Valley region pretty cool? I watched some videos, and it looks pretty cool.

Last, is that scaling "thing" still making fodder bads take a magazine and a half and two more to kill? I really hated that. To put in in perspective: not being a fan of the bullet sponges is directly responsible for my leaving for 3 years (that and not being able to play with my relatively new to the game friends at the time). Though I seem to recall purple damage hurting shields and then using a green damage weapon to kill them, it reaaaaaaally doesn't do it for me having to use certain weapons to be (at all) effective.

Just wondering if it's worth a go, or if I should keep away based on my concerns and do something else with my time?

If anyone gets the minute to respond, I have no payment to offer, but I'll wish for you to get free tacos (sincerely).

Thanks for reading! I hope the game is awesome for you either way!

If anything the stability is worse than you remember although it is probably better on the PC than on the consoles. Disconnects and shard failures are considerably more frequent then when I began playing over 2.5 years ago.

Silicon Valley isn't much fun and the only reason people do anything there is to complete daily and weekly contracts for faction rep.

The Warmaster was broken by patch 2 years ago and still hasn't been fixed. About 75% of the time you disconnect trying to get in unless you jump to someone already inside. Most of the Warmaster's attacks are broken (crystals, energy beam, etc) and he is now much easier to beat.

In the Fall of 2014 they introduced special holiday ark falls (Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, Valentine's Day, Summer) which could drop OJ and special named OJ weapons as rewards for completing. Apparently 5 times a year wasn't enough because now they run for 3 weeks every single month and it's pretty much the only thing anyone does anymore. It's understandable since the drop rates are so terrible in this game it offers the best opportunity for people to obtain OJ weapons and having a Patron Pass guarantees a named OJ every 60-80 majors completed. However it's a huge lag fest filled with multiple disconnects and occasional shard failures.

With that being said, if you are willing to put up with the disconnects then I wouldn't say it was a waste of time but I wouldn't sink a lot of money into it. The Patron Pass is probably worth getting because of the guaranteed named weapons, extra ammo capacity, and the 100% ark forge buff but I would stay away from the bit store lock boxes because they have the same terrible drop rates that the elite lock boxes have. It should provide you with enough entertainment for 3-6 months after you play through the content that got released after you left, run some expeditions to get a decent cyber rig and fill it with chips, and get tired of the monthly event grind.

If you are on PC it is actually a little more stable. There is Season 2, 3 and 4 missions to do that will provide an hour of game play. There is a lot more stuff to chase now with more and stronger guns out there. I find Expeditions to be fun and challenging but the biggest thing to do is after updating is find a good clan to hang out with chat and kill shtak.

Good luck and Happy Hunting!

Take it from someone who has played this for the better part of the past 4 years... turn around and run while you can.

The "longer, more fulfilling" chase (much like the cake)... is a lie.
    Defiance 2050 = 2018's worst cash grab. 100% fact.
    Medjed: "Trust me, we will do our best to avoid any unanswered questions."
    Why add content to either game when people routinely gamble on bit store trash? 4Head

Okay, cool. I get all of that, I'll proooooooobably go ahead and re-DL it and see what's what. I'm not worried about getting sucked in, because I'm kind of over grinds in general, but there was only a season 2 story when I quit, so I figure I'll at least play the season stuff and probably like that just fine. I liked the show (probably more than I should have), so the lore is enough to get me to take a look.

Thanks a bunch for the input!

Are they actually pulling down firefall servers?

Quote Originally Posted by KevinVonBach View Post
    Take it from someone who has played this for the better part of the past 4 years... turn around and run while you can.

The "longer, more fulfilling" chase (much like the cake)... is a lie.
    the cake is real

In light of Firefall dying off (in a raging dumpster fire over the last 3 years I've been playing it)

Thought you were talking about defiance for a minute
    "It's my disaster friend, not yours."
    "If this isn't a mess, it'll do till one gets here."
    This is TRION here endith the Lesson.
    How do you say Trion in German? Gamigo

Thanks Tauriiel 6x6k

Hiding under my office chair from the terrifying Ark-hunters!
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinVonBach View Post
    the cake)... is a lie.
    Quote Originally Posted by stoodakiss View Post
    the cake is real

I've heard that Defiance is substantially smoother now with less employees "running" the servers:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIXF-k0LsmQ

I've also overheard Ark-hunters speaking German lately..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4K49Bv1qgoA

Welcome to Defiance:

..And I'm off, excelsior!

Don't worry by the time you're done with season3 you'll notice defiance is just the next dumpster over blazing away but I still play it so I guess I'm right there with you