+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

First impression, two hours in

Four disconnects, one instance where EVERYONE disappeared basically leaving me the only character (including NPCs)in-game, and a lot of first-day beta shtako that really seems off-putting but hey, it's a beta.

Graphics: These have been updated but... not in a good way. Everything looks cleaner but at the same time, it just makes the assets from Defiance look all the older. it's this weird in-between of looking nicer but in a way that really makes the bad things pop.

Character Creation: This was confirmed in a stream that they did nothing with this, and it shows. It was weak at launch and it has not aged well. I really think they should add in more races and considerably more options. Since there are no racial traits or bonuses, they should really allow for more aliens as playable characters. This was a letdown but i'm biased, as i love character creation/customization.

Missions: All the same, so far. The dialog is the same, which wasn't great, minus a few one-liners and two characters maybe.

Vehicle: So far, i was only able to get the first vehicle which is an atv. Same models but they have tweeked the driving feel. and it's terrible.... Turning feels off, being slow to suddenly turning instantly to the side.
    The reverse is now reverse only and not a break. The handbrake is no longer a hand brake but a hard stop. Like... you just stop dead, like you froze, not like you actually hit the breaks or hit something to stop you. Overall, i wasn't expecting anything from this but even then, it's a step back so far. I also had a few weird bits where i would be on an incline and hit the boost, only to be slowed to a snail's pace rather than launched. Inclines definitely feel like they're harder to traverse now as well. One second thought, this seems more like two steps back. I doubt they did but it would be nice to see more vehicle types added to this game, motorcyles, more hovering craft, low flying craft, better cars, maybe some functionality like trunk usage in APB or carry capacity in ESO.

Weapons: This seems a bit off but in most ways. This seemed to be the main focus of the revamp but there wasn't anything impressive about it. The weapons damage seemed weak. The aiming is terrible and when behind objects, since we can't take proper cover, my crosshair was free and clear but my shots were still hitting left of it and straight into the object i was crouched behind. There's nothing explaining the new system, that I encountered at least, so when i jumped in nothing was explained. It seems the same, so far but with a different UI. The numbers aren't right either. I had a sniper rifle with 3.5x crit that i had attached a barrel with +19.35 crit (not a typo). The overall crit after that was still... 3.5x. I was still having to headshot things two or three times with it before they would die, as well. Weapons seemed a little less forgiving, as my SMG had more bloom to it. One thing to note was that it seems salvage is per weapon, so rather than just getting general salvage for general usage, you walk up to it and it's machine gun salvage, smg salvage, pistol salvage, all of which is randomly dropped. That just seems like a bad idea to me, as i use specific weapons for my layouts but i don't use every weapon type. The drop rates seem terrible as well, as i'm still getting way too much ammo, random and sometimes useless salvage for guns i won't use, and none of the shops i visited had mods or parts yet. This new weapons set up still has a lot of potential to it, and i'm sure that i'm only seeing the proverbial tip of the iceberg here. Everything is forgivable, minus the aim issues.

Arkfalls: Nothing new, that i have seen yet.

Equipment: Loadouts and equipment seemed the same, which kind of makes classes seem useless, had they not altered that as well.

Ego/Classes: wow... why? These aren't so much as classes (just yet) as much as they just seem like restricting EGO into a much simpler set up. Granted, we only get one class so far, so i can't say anything for specifics like stat changes, boosts, passives, or any special abilities. If anything, this just seems to limit how i play, since i can't use EVERYTHING from EGO to fine tune to my playstyle. While this has potential, so far, it just seems like another hard step back. I'm really looking forward to seeing other classes but at two hours in, it looks like Ego powers are tied to a class, so I can only access Blur at the moment. Blur has a tree to it, meaning a limited amount of passives and such but you have to unlock some to get others, which is wasted points. My Main concern here, is that they did this to monetize load-outs, i.e. Classes with have an ego power and different passives/bonuses, so you're stuck buying different ones to get to your old free loadout builds. If i'm wrong on this, please Please PLEASE correct me, as i really hope that isn't the case.

After thought: I honestly don't get why they didn't touch anything else. Guns were possibly improved, though i haven't really managed to get enough into it to know for sure. Ego was hacked down to a possible dollar sign shaped lock, which i really hope isn't the case. This entire thing just seems like it was unnecessary. Couldn't they have just added new abilities and such to the game and rebalance and expand the guns? It seems like there wasn't anything worth wiping all characters and progress for. Since they're not bound by the show anymore, they really should have added more things that would have tied us into the world better.

As such, i feel the need to reiterate, this is just the first impression and it's only two hours in. I'm definitely going back in for more, trying to get my deputy costume back and forgoing further missions for arkfalls. I'm looking forward to seeing what we get in terms of drones and melee weapons, though, as a Castithan, i'm annoyed having to get those back the hard way if we can even get those back at this point. Who knows. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing where i'm wrong and what all i haven't seen yet but to be honest, this isn't a new game and i have no clue why they wouldn't go for crossplay, as it would add so many more players to the population. I'm really disappointed but there is still enough hope that it will be adjusted in the future updates/additions.

TL;DR: It's all the exact same or slightly worse... so far.

Yeah i been crashing a lot too and can't even get through the first part but I not giving up.

I have 2k+ hours in defiance...when i started the beta one word can describe what i felt. ->> disappointed <<-

Quote Originally Posted by Fabiano Batista View Post
    I have 2k+ hours in defiance...when i started the beta one word can describe what i felt. ->> disappointed <<-
    100% this. I love defiance, why would I play the same game, just without all of my progress?

Pretty much nailed it in this post. This could have easily been an update to the original game. Which also would have saved char wipes and having to restart. Dont know if we are losing all our skins too, but i just feel i am starting a new character in the original Defiance, with an update. Why this was built from the ground up I dont know. Hopefully be proven wrong by its release and turns out a lot better and more superior to the original. As losing my char i had since its launch is a big loss.
    In Game - Elastikspastik
    PC-EU D2050
    Clan - Red Thugs
    http://www.youtube.com/user/elastikspastik

Quote Originally Posted by Fabiano Batista View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRig View Post
    100% this. I love defiance, why would I play the same game, just without all of my progress?
    I think a lot of people are asking this question? :/ while i wasn't expecting much and still somewhat disappointed

Wouldnt be so bad if we kept everything we have from original Defiance. Starting over though....after playing since 2013
    In Game - Elastikspastik
    PC-EU D2050
    Clan - Red Thugs
    http://www.youtube.com/user/elastikspastik

This release is a massive disappointment, I'm sorry Trion. I loved Defiance when it first released, I played until the end game and fell off when the show stopped airing. I enjoyed it... back in 2013.

I've got a much nicer computer now, and well, I'm used to games looking great on it. Modern graphics are so much different than they were in 2013, and yet installing Defiance 2050 I feel like it should be called Defiance 2013.

I'm gonna say this, you've been emailing me about this beta release of "Defiance 2050" and I was hyped. Hyped beyond hyped. I LOVED Defiance back in the day and was so excited for a fresh new story, modern graphics and an updated game. I waited until today with bated breath.. But when I logged in and saw the EXACT SAME character creation options I thought something was off, and when it led into the EXACT SAME Intro cutscene I thought "Maybe I accidentally installed Defiance 1" but no, the truth was much worse. Trion just tricked everyone into playing Defiance again by doing precisely nothing to it and calling it something else.

The backlash on this is gonna hurt Trion. Why would you do that? Get everyone excited and then let everyone down? You raised our hopes for a new release of a great game from the past and you dropped it like a 10 ton hammer. I uninstalled after playing for 30 minutes, and I uninstalled Glyph too. This is just tragic.

Quote Originally Posted by Elastik Spastik View Post
    Wouldnt be so bad if we kept everything we have from original Defiance. Starting over though....after playing since 2013
    Fully agree. Is anyone here familiar with The Secret World? They did the exact same thing when they made Secret World Legends, where they didn't really update anything, improve anything, add anything, or fix any of the issues and shortcomings. Instead, they just changed combat and the tutorial, while claiming it was a different game, like here. The main difference there, though, was that people had lifetime memberships that were made null and void since the new game was a fresh start. I don't know if they're still honoring it on the original game, with the monthly stipend and such but i really doubt they're going to add anything new to that version of the game. I'm honestly surprised no one sued them, since it's still the same game.

Luckily for Trion, they didn't have an LTS or stipend but i'm really surprised at how the beta is so far. More so, how many times i've disconnected since they "fixed" the disconnect issue. Beta, day one, that's an expected thing to happen but it's really just the TSW/SWL all over again. There really isn't any difference beyond UI changes and a lot of poor decisions. Hopefully, they take the time to actually adjust and change things were they can BEFORE launch.

Downloaded. Installed. Clicked Play. Cool new splash screen...and the server's down.

Not a good first impression, and based on what I'm reading here, I'm wondering whether it's worth trying again later.