+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Seriously remove power level scaling

Ok trion the power level scaling for solo missions such as the defiant few and overall in general is becoming a serious problem as its preventing progression and over all detrimenting being able to enjoy the game as its making enemies reach impossible levels of being able to overcome not everything should require a group effort please remove power level scaling

I actually agree, the way that it's been implemented is very bad.

If you have a blue gun and you find a new green gun with a higher rating and a higher listed damage values, you'd think that you just got an upgrade. But in reality, the green has lower bonuses which means that due to the scaling you'll actually do less relative damage with it than your original blue weapon. All said, the entire Power Rating system is just an illusion the game uses to make you feel like you are progressing when in reality you aren't improving at all! The numbers above the heads will be bigger, but the actual bullet count to kill always stays the same or gets worse.

Because of the how the illusion of scaling works, to get the highest dps you actually want to keep your rating as low as possible while using gear with the highest bonuses possible (enhancement, mods, etc). Which basically kills off all desire to try and improve gear at all!

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingK View Post
    I actually agree, the way that it's been implemented is very bad.

If you have a blue gun and you find a new green gun with a higher rating and a higher listed damage values, you'd think that you just got an upgrade. But in reality, the green has lower bonuses which means that due to the scaling you'll actually do less relative damage with it than your original blue weapon. All said, the entire Power Rating system is just an illusion the game uses to make you feel like you are progressing when in reality you aren't improving at all! The numbers above the heads will be bigger, but the actual bullet count to kill always stays the same or gets worse.

Because of the how the illusion of scaling works, to get the highest dps you actually want to keep your rating as low as possible while using gear with the highest bonuses possible (enhancement, mods, etc). Which basically kills off all desire to try and improve gear at all!
    Reroll your weapons for good stats.
    http://gyazo.com/a8c7dec14ff185b67a8784a6d0e7754e
    Old Signature but it still looks nice. Names are the same though.
    IGN: 1EyedWeesilAndHis2Balls
    GT: Weesil xD (I need to update my signature.)

pretty sure once u hit 2500 u will wish 4 higher lvl ads 2 progress. be careful what u ask 4

I agree with op the system is broke.

I agree on both counts...lower levels(sub 2500) needs a rework on enemy scaling. MiniBosses especially...bulwarks, blacklungs and tankers are way too tough for what it is. I love a battle, dont get me wrong...but I can quickly see this as no more challenge but a giant nuisance to the game for lower tiered players. Its almost impossible on some counts. Not all..but some.

I am not at a high level myself, so I could only speculate that higher values would be better once our skills start picking up steam. Saw a post today saying that weapon skills dont kick in until ego 25, and still dont really gain steam on leveling like it used to in the old version, until power level 2k to 2500. Anyone confirm this..as I have not seem a dev state this...on my phone tho...maybe I am just missing it.
    Xbox Live GT: Sgt Game Hawk
    Proud Founder of the Haters Club
    Hate Hate Hate
    Defiance Tag: Flash Pants and Brave Fart

Ah, the days before DLC5. We weren’t happy with DLC1-4, but at least the base fun was intact.

I’m not a Day 1 player, I started a few months in, so I never experienced the launching pains, but I got hooked on Defiance the first day I played. Unlike other MMOs, of which I sampled nearly all since the introduction of them, it played more like a single-player third-person shooter sandbox, like Red Faction: Guerrilla or Mercenaries. It was a decent story, great shooting mechanics, with the bonus of other random people showing up, plus the events. Systems were hardly explained, but I got lucky meeting a guy who enjoyed roaming the open world, chatting about the game, and soon enough I learned how to play, and how to set things up to play the way I wanted to play.

In those pre-DLC1 days you knew what weapons did what against which enemies. There was a significant difference between weapons based on your skill level, both the in-game stat and your practical ability with a controller, what mods you chose, and the rarity bonuses. On your own at a low level you’d be running for your life, cursing the extraction fee. At an arkfall higher EGO players “stole” most of the kills but you still did damage, took out a few on your own, and looked forward to getting the gear on display and the power to take advantage of it. If you dared to tangle with the Volge or Dark Matter at a low EGO you paid the price, but even high EGO players weren’t mopping the floor with these enemies. That’s because the various enemy groups were staggered in power, and each group had a staggered difficulty, and different vulnerabilities. It wasn’t necessarily elegant, but it was fair and, mostly importantly, understandable.

Here’s we’re I’ll throw out some bits about the “end game” that I’m sure many would point out: there’s nothing new after maxing out, all you’ve got it searching for a novelty weapon, tracking down blue mods of the synergy and type you wanted. Otherwise just some PvP if you wanted a challenge, or sitting in clan chat. I never thought about that, because the core game I could play endlessly. As a gamer since 1974, the “repetition issue” was never mine, give me a new Challenging Stage, Galaga, speed up those dragons, Dig Dug. If I felt like an hour of shooting Raiders in the face, I was getting fun for my time. So keep that in mind as I continue to blather.

There were exploits like Major tagging that were fun. Volge encounters were a challenge especially with one 4000+ EGO and a couple of 1000s. One took up a sniping spot, and after taking them down a peg the others raced in hoping to take at least one of them down before scampering off. “RUN AWAY!” Using the farm land by Last Chance to trigger emergent gameplay, luring the Raiders to fight a Monarch, drawing Volge to battle a 99er arkfall. Good times.

When DLC5 hit at least 80% of my friends stopped playing. I stopped for months. I built a trading site http://hulkercafe.com and was so downtrodden I stopped working on it. Instead of building power, knowing what did what, and choosing your fun, now you were unloading clips into skitterlings and running for your life from enemies you’d spent months learning and earning how to own. “Scaling” is the lie about “maintaining” challenge. The lie about low power players having somewhat of an equal footing with everyone regardless of enemy. The lie that nothing had changed, but you were on your fourth extract at Happy Pow because some jerk was parked at the Fast Travel spot and was quadrupling the difficulty. Not good times.

Defiance 2050 is no different even if it dresses up “scaling” in a different gaudy outfit. You’re still wasting clips of SMG ammo on skitterlings I matter your level. And what fun is that, you know you’ll never be more powerful than the enemies, and there’d always be more of them.

“Scaling” is a plague on gaming, single-player, multiplayer, or MMO.

I completely agree this new power system is annoying. Certain enemies have way too much health other do way too little damage. I was getting attacked by a smelter and a skitterling hitting me did more damage. I enjoyed the game alot before dlc 5, which ruined not running around with a group of people.
    GT: Dan0245
    Xbox One: North America

So at this point I've been playing since early access for Founder pack people. I've had to balance in work there, so haven't been on all the time, but I'm around 2100-ish.

Its starting to occur to me that I'm not really having fun with this game. I keep waiting for some sort of payoff. I mean now, it seems things have slowed down enough that its 'worth' me opening up all slots on a weapon and putting mods in them, since my returns have now trickled off. Having completed the main story I suspect the big jumps I would get relative to ground drops are over. Storymish rewards would tend to bring my guns in line with my actual Power Rating rather than the delayed reduced thing ground drops do for guns.

I'm a hair away from 25 in my last class. So even that won't be anything to earn towards shortly.

But yeah, I'm noticing it still roughly takes me the same amount of shots to kill stuff it did when I was fresh out of tutorial missions. Worse, even, if you consider they start adding armor and shields to things after that. Frankly it inclines me to run Assassin more often for that +dmg boost it can get vs foes already damaged past a certain point.

It kind of hides how much ammo you burn due to the increase of ground drops outside, but if you run things that don't drop ammo like crazy (thorn liro arenas) you realize how quickly you burn through it. I also find it ironic that regardless of class, I find myself having to generally kit myself out the same way I did in Oldefiance to deal with all the trash mobs: rocket launcher/detonator. Of course now it takes longer to kill things, but at least it feels faster. You're still unloading multiple shots to kill something most of the time, but 2 or 3 rockets feels less than half a machine gun mag. And that's not even considering things like how much you miss because of bloom/inaccuracy. Its kinda ridiculous since you know its a mandated fabricated game mechanic to make things more difficult than they should be. I mean, there's no reason for accuracy to be this bad unless we were using like...smoothbore weapons filled with junk or something.

Worse, they've taken away any real variety in approach anyway. Not only did they make the weapon pool smaller, but realistically the situations you encounter further limit the viability of what guns to choose. So you look at arkfalls and stuff, even coop, and you see everyone using the same gear. Its kinda sad.

How about returning most of the game back to how it was? Its what players stayed loyal for. Synergies, jackpots and being able to progress through the game without being downed a dozen times trying to complete thier goals.
    And for those who enjoy a challenge that dont agree with me.. Just do a few rounds of heaven sent to get your fix.

+ Reply to Thread