+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Opinion: 2050 will succeed

In 2 days, 2050 will complete it's first official 1 month anniversary. It has already reached that goal for anyone who played into headstart. So I decided to look back at 2050's rocky launch and envision a possible future for the franchise. This is my opinion only, and it's long, really long. Thank you for reading it, if you will.

Yes, I'm the same guy who posts Steam charts depicting 2050's steady and fast decline, since launch (615 players in the last 24h, from 2013 at launch). Why would I write an optimistic post about 2050's future?

Because experience.

This is why I think 2050 will eventually succeed:

First, Trion makes excellent games. They don't have excellent servers, but boy, their games are fun to play, when they allow us to have fun with them (case in point, when they improved OLDefiance's Loot System, the game truly shined). 2050 will eventually reach the same point;

Oh, you don't think 2050 will survive that long? It will, because it was made with a long-term run in mind. The Class Monetization Plan (I'm sorry about referring to it as a "scheme", before, English is my second language and I didn't perceive the bad connotation the word has) will truly reap Trion some big money when it's over one or two years old. Today, we have a handful of classes to play with. A new player arriving at 2050 in late 2019 will find dozens of classes, most of them truly interesting, gated behind thousands of commendations. He will buy at least one that "is cooler than the base classes and every Ark Hunter should rock" by then. And so will everybody that starts playing 2050. This already works pretty well in Trove, so it's not a bet, it's history bound to repeat itself;

And how it will survive so far, even if it bleeds money? Well, here I must address the general vibe players have about Trion, that it's a small indie studio struggling to get by. IT IS NOT! Trove, alone, has a 17 million player base. That's more than double of Elder Scrolls Online's player base (7 million, last I saw), and you know that's not a small title, right? That's Trove alone, might I reinforce, not counting Defiance, 2050, RIFT and ArcheAge, all Trion's properties and licenses. Trion recently acquired the assets of Gazillion Entertainment, a former Disney Licensee (Marvel Heroes). It has two studios, both in the United States (Texas and California), no sweatshops there. And it has hired beHauvior for the 2050 port -- that's the *largest* independent game development studio in Canada. They can afford all that, they surely can afford 2050 for a while (Source);

For 2050 to fail, it would have to be way, WAY worse than OLDefiance. 2050 can be many things, but it's not WAY worse than OLDefiance (it's not as great as OLDefiance, but not WAY worse). It's incomplete, has outdated graphics, a messed up UI, it's full of little and big bugs, but hey, players already tolerated all that in the previous generation, and STILL love to play it. That says that the core game is solid, and since 2050 is a port with a new monetization plan, it can't fail where its predecessor already succeeded: maintaining a loyal player base. It can only grow from that, but it will take time, because the initial launch was... careless, to say the least;

IMHO, the only thing that can truly hurt 2050 in the long run is the PR system. It's flawed and it quickly leads to boredom. That can be easily solved giving us more loot and rewards, since reworking the entire system would be challenging. Everybody will tolerate the PR system if the game gives us great loot and still mantains us motivated to purchase items from the store. OLDefiance currently gives you so many great loot that you feel almost obligated to purchase more inventory slots, in order to accomodate such greatness. That would be the best scenario for 2050: keep customers happy with great loot and they will stick around to buy classes;

Trion is known for making big adjustments to its games. Anyone who played Trove and OLDefiance throughout the years can tell you that. So, don't think everything we're seeing in 2050 right now is definitive. Keep posting what bugs you, and that will eventually lead to change. It may not be the change you expected, but things will not stay the same for long. I give it a year, maybe even sooner, since they rushed to present us a roadmap so soon (a big red alert sign, BTW);

Example: did you know that in the first 2 years of OLDefiance, certain outfits could only be obtainable by gambling? Yes, they were a possible drop from loot crates you'd purchase at the store. That plan failed miserably, and was later changed to outfits from bundles. Turned out people preferred to pay more for a certainty than gamble their accounts away in a chance, and everybody was happy at the end. Trion always starts their games with heavy gambling involved (*cough* Ark Keys *cough*), so it can capitalize on "early adopters". We will see better deals in the future;

We can stop worrying about negative criticism about 2050. This game is a beast, Trion is a beast, we're beasts for playing it. Defiance players that stuck so far with the game, with all of its problems (that were not just a few) won't be going anywhere and new players can only add to that. We are all welcome to this second new age, and soon enough, there will be no more veterans or new players, just Ark Hunters.

The criticism today only shows that the initial thought about 2050 has as many misses as hits. If we work on the misses, we can make 2050 great. No game is ever perfect, but great is already an excellent milestone. That's what we all want... right? If the game is fixed and systems improved, word of mouth alone (streamers, Facebook groups, Discord, etc) will make 2050 succeed, because there's nothing quite like it in the market, to this day. It looks like doing a truly massive MMO shooter is no easy task, so Defiance still has no competition. Seriously, if you fail in THIS scenario, you really must work TOWARDS failing.

Now, with all that being said, I must jest. If Trion entered a race against Trion, Trion would place 3rd. Yes, this company is also known for shooting itself in the foot more times than I can count (at least with OLDefiance), and it's main weakness, IMHO, is how they successfuly piss off their communities on a regular basis -- mostly because of lack of proper, clear and CONSTANT communication with its playerbases. Also, they're inexplicable attached to penny issues, like nerfing guns on the spot, but letting people lose their Ark Keys. This scale of priorities obviously rub people the wrong way.

So, allow them to make some mistakes, but don't let the rope too easily attached. We are gamers, but we are also customers, and we deserve a better game. The Devs want to give us this better game, we only need to tickle them constantly, and eventually, we'll all laugh together. For that, we need to be able to trust each other.

Talk to your community, Trion.

BTW, if the post has any information Trion would like to amend, it's more than welcome to chime in.

Peace out.

I'll be honest, I read half.

However I believe 2050 succeed because 2013 did and it started off much worse.

I'm sure Trion will break even.

As long as they can keep the game stable and lag-free, I think it will be just fine with around 1-1.5k players across all platforms.

Read the whole thing. I'll be sticking around until it actually ceases to exist. Despite its flaws i have found myself playing hardly any other game except D2050. I have found myself so addicted to it. Like when Defiance was released. Me and a friend got it and was just as addictive, except even more so with the added bonus of the tv show and the missions in game tied with it.

I am a believer that D2050 will get better and better over time. Its only been out a month.

I also agree D2050 devs really need to be more hands on in these forums and communicating with its players, this is one of their biggest flaws. One of the best things to gamers is constant comms from the devs. Even if its just to tell us info on stuff these threads are made of.

Having all these threads and unanswered questions, misinformation, etc leaves players not only in the dark, but feeling an emptyness. Or when theres a civil debate about something in game, a dev should be here settling the players minds about this that and the other.

Even things like this can keep players wanting to play.

To Trion, more comms on the forums please. Let us know that you are here, listening, taking in what we are all saying, even if our opinions differ. We are all here because we care, even if some deny it. Deep down they do.

I know the devs are busy but even setting aside half hour a day just to have a say in the forum threads and speak to us. It will go a long long way in pleasing us players old and new.
    In Game - Sp1d3r-81
    PC-EU D2050
    Clan - Z Nation
    http://www.youtube.com/user/elastikspastik

I read it all and i must say that was awesome and i agree that Defiance 2050 will succeed. I know i'm in, i ain't going nowhere i'll be paying and playing for the next five years so see you out there Ark Hunters.

Welcome to the New Age

Defiance 2050

IGN: Draven Blackmane

Race: Human / Male

Classes: Assault - lvl 25 / Guardian - lvl 25 / Combat Medic - lvl 25 / demolitionist - lvl 25 / Assassin - lvl 25

EGO Level: 50

Power Rating: 2700

Pursuit Rating: 520

Xbox / NA

Clan: Ark Vault Hunters

"No time to ride the line."

"No rest for the wicked."

Lawkeeper Jon Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by Elastik Spastik View Post
    I am a believer that D2050 will get better and better over time. Its only been out a month.
    We park our cars in the same garage.

Gonna be tough for 2050 to surpass Dead by Daylight's draw on my PS4, but yeah... fingers crossed.
    Defiance 2050 = 2018's worst cash grab. 100% fact.
    Medjed: "Trust me, we will do our best to avoid any unanswered questions."
    Imagine trying to peddle bit store trash instead of fixing the game in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Elastik Spastik View Post
    Read the whole thing. I'll be sticking around until it actually ceases to exist. Despite its flaws i have found myself playing hardly any other game except D2050. I have found myself so addicted to it. Like when Defiance was released. Me and a friend got it and was just as addictive, except even more so with the added bonus of the tv show and the missions in game tied with it.

I also agree D2050 devs really need to be more hands on in these forums and communicating with its players, this is one of their biggest flaws. One of the best things to gamers is constant comms from the devs. Even if its just to tell us info on stuff these threads are made of.

Having all these threads and unanswered questions, misinformation, etc leaves players not only in the dark, but feeling an emptyness. Or when theres a civil debate about something in game, a dev should be here settling the players minds about this that and the other.

Even things like this can keep players wanting to play.

To Trion, more comms on the forums please. Let us know that you are here, listening, taking in what we are all saying, even if our opinions differ. We are all here because we care, even if some deny it. Deep down they do.

I know the devs are busy but even setting aside half hour a day just to have a say in the forum threads and speak to us. It will go a long long way in pleasing us players old and new.
    Agree with this and OP's original statement. I play nothing else right now despite all the problems.

It's a weird addictive game, even PVP is fun.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinVonBach View Post
    We park our cars in the same garage.

Gonna be tough for 2050 to surpass Dead by Daylight's draw on my PS4, but yeah... fingers crossed.
    I also want the game to succeed, the problem is I truly doubt that this time, but I`ll keep playing it a bit every day for better or worse to keep an eye on the game.
    So many good games out there.
    I hear people saying that paying for PLUS is bad and I say...well I really don´t say anything or care what they say when every month we get that money back in free games and, this month we got 2 great games and, one of them is Dead by Daylight, the other one Mafia III

So many good games out there.

Oh, of course, I´m back

Quote Originally Posted by drackiller View Post
    this month we got 2 great games and, one of them is Dead by Daylight, the other one Mafia III
    Good to see you've returned.

If you're gonna play Dead by Daylight, and need some pointers, feel free to hit me up... still waiting on that friend invite from you, since I've been unable to send one your way.

XD
    Defiance 2050 = 2018's worst cash grab. 100% fact.
    Medjed: "Trust me, we will do our best to avoid any unanswered questions."
    Imagine trying to peddle bit store trash instead of fixing the game in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinVonBach View Post
    Good to see you've returned.

If you're gonna play Dead by Daylight, and need some pointers, feel free to hit me up... still waiting on that friend invite from you, since I've been unable to send one your way.

XD
    I send you the invite months ago lol
    I assume that it still is your old PSN nickname right?

Ps: I changed my privacy settings on the console, I can now receive invites.

+ Reply to Thread