+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Defiance Team post in this thread.   Thread: Spam Posts & Moderation

what ever was put in place, it appears the spammers found away around it.

Quote Originally Posted by ICantAim View Post
    Actually, BBCode forums like this one have a feature to let any user ignore any other user. All they have to do is activate that feature. Since all the spam comes from a single user, everyone would just ignore that user and the spam would go away.
    Still doesn't make their threads disappear, so yeah...
    PS4 NA - Pine Tarr - Castithan - <Shanje Liro> - EGO: 50

Quote Originally Posted by ICantAim View Post
    Actually, BBCode forums like this one have a feature to let any user ignore any other user. All they have to do is activate that feature. Since all the spam comes from a single user, everyone would just ignore that user and the spam would go away.
    I t would be that simple in an ideal world, but no it only stops that one account... This entity gets one profile banned a day but,.. they make another account the very next day probably using the same IP address and certainly the same MAC addresses! Thus all you do in reality is just block a single bot account that will just be banned eventually rendering your effort pointless!

Quote Originally Posted by See its not that simple View Post
    I t would be that simple in an ideal world, but no it only stops that one account... This entity gets one profile banned a day but,.. they make another account the very next day probably using the same IP address and certainly the same MAC addresses! Thus all you do in reality is just block a single bot account that will just be banned eventually rendering your effort pointless!
    The spammer makes all his posts with the same account. bggn. Worst case it would hide all his posts during the week-end when there's no moderation.

How do I block a poster so i can't see their posts?

It's most likely a spam bot (controlled by a spammer or group of spammers).
    They usually have another bot to verify the spam is loaded on websites (like the forum) – so they can check their spam was successfully stored (and not deleted).

The account name is fairly randomized and it will automatically change, especially if that account is blocked.

Muting the spammer's account is not going to be very successful, since it will change frequently.
    It shouldn't be the responsibility of individual members to constantly play "catch up" in muting the spam accounts. Many anti-spam measures exist for forum software ... adding a CAPTCHA to the registration process would be a start. IP blocking can help, but any 'pro' spammer will use multiple IP addresses etc.

A lot was already said here (back in February):
    http://forums.defiance.com/showthrea...-on-the-forums

Quote Originally Posted by 7thkey View Post
    How do I block a poster so i can't see their posts?
    go to their profile and click add to the ignore list.

Quote Originally Posted by DEATHBRINGER210 View Post
    go to their profile and click add to the ignore list.
    well that doesnt work anymore

Quote Originally Posted by DEATHBRINGER210 View Post
    well that doesnt work anymore
    Trying to do the same with the new spam warrior but its not working.Forum is going down hill.Hope the new devs can sort this out asap.People are going against the terms and still get to spam.

Quote Originally Posted by ttoomm View Post
    Trying to do the same with the new spam warrior but its not working.Forum is going down hill.Hope the new devs can sort this out asap.People are going against the terms and still get to spam.
    Man all you guys do is complain