+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Are games becoming too big?

I just downloaded Fallout 76 B.E.T.A. on the PS4, which is essentially the full game, to get ready for the 30th.

It was 96 gig. Read that again. The game was Ninty-six gigabytes. 96.

I was told Red Dead Redemption 2 was just as big, which brings up the question of when does a game begin to become too much for players to deal with concerning download size and storage space needed to even play the thing?

If I were on anything less than my mid tier connection or had any smaller of a HDD, there would be no way I could even bother playing this, even if I thought it the best game in the world.

I'm a fairly old guy, who remembers boasting of getting that new Pentium 75 w a 750 mb HDD and 14.4k modem, back in HS. I know this trend has existed for years with newer stuff being unseemingly big to deal with for the lay person, but now, it seems that the trend of bigger and better is leaning even further towards the haves than the have nots. I know that many people have a 4k PS4 pro and have TBs of storage and this may not seem like as much of an issue, but I'd assume they are still in the minority. There are still plenty booting up older base systems and dealing with data caps.

Maybe I'm just getting too old to keep up with the trends anymore and my next purchase should be those $40 Sega multi game systems from the Dollar General.
    God's Little Punchline
    psn: saikoteek
    EGO: 50 PR: 2004
    PS4-NA

Pretty insane the install sizes on both games mentioned.

But yeah, since Red Dead Redemption 2 takes up 98 GB and the Fallout 76 B.E.T.A. is close to 97 GB, I uninstalled a few PS4 games to free up some extra space. Pretty safe to say I won't be uninstalling RDR2 anytime in the near future... what a great (and gorgeous) game so far!
    Defiance 2050 = 2018's worst cash grab. 100% fact.
    Medjed: "Show me a game from the same segment range that doesn’t lose its audience after 7 years of existence."
    Warframe: "Hold our beer."
    Imagine peddling bit store trash rather than fixing the game in 2020.

maybe it has to be with more programs more data as mmos and the graphics that will be adjust in higher levels.Maybe in 2030 a MMO will need a space off 300GB-1TB.

i dont remember which game it was since i havent been on my ps4 for a while but had one game that was 50 gbs then had a day 1 patch that was another 50 gbs only to have another 50 months later so yea games are getting ridiculous. Its like hey our consoles will have more storage than our previous consoles but youre gonna fill that storage up with updates that will take up more space than the game itself. I myself went back to playing some old games because of how crazy the newer games are with their sizes and patch size. I myself am rather suspicious on how big these games and updates are. Like i get better games taking more space and stuff but its just getting ridiculous.

ill played red dead 2 this weekend , its a 2 disc install at 105 gb.

According to my PS4, the RDR2 install is just a notch above 98 GB. *shrug*
    Medjed: "Show me a game from the same segment range that doesn’t lose its audience after 7 years of existence."

Quote Originally Posted by KevinVonBach View Post
    According to my PS4, the RDR2 install is just a notch above 98 GB. *shrug*
    did you enter any codes?

Quote Originally Posted by DEATHBRINGER210 View Post
    did you enter any codes?
    Yeah, two codes... one for the pre-order, the other for the special edition of the game.

Still a 98 GB file.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinVonBach View Post
    Yeah, two codes... one for the pre-order, the other for the special edition of the game.

Still a 98 GB file.
    weird we had 99 gb free on a 500 gb hd still had to delete a game to install it.
    https://www.gamespot.com/articles/re.../1100-6462634/

Most MMO's are what are what once was called "Thick Clients". Basically, most of the code and graphics are stored locally and rules/database is stored server side. If done properly communications between server and client is just transmission of deltas.

With a "Thin Client" all you really have is a launcher and everything else is stored on the servers and resources are downloaded on an as needed basis. This is great for games like Adventure (yes, I am that old) which are small world and text based, but it really sucks for the graphics intensive games of today.