+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

PTS April Update: Feedback on Engineer, Scaling/TTK, Enhancement, and Miscellaneous

I will likely make multiple posts to help separate the feedback better. This first one will be for Engineer though, as that is the one I tested the most of so far.

Engineer, one of the big things at least some of us arkhunters have been waiting to see...for some time now. What makes this class special? Well here is what it has for abilities.

Turrets of that which can do
    • Damage to other enemies and provide damage buffs to the player and other allies (along with other stat gains)
    • Heal and ward allies like the combat medic's drone (except no synergy required for ward)
    • damage enemies and regenerate reserve ammo through pulses. Each pulse happens at somewhere between 0.5 seconds-1 second
    • A minefield that does a decent amount of damage to enemies.
    • A M.E.C.H. that lets you shoot rockets, stomp enemies, and fire a machine gun-like weapon. Did I mention it's a Bulwark too?

Here are pictures of the machines. https://imgur.com/a/DuaOBFl

The minefield I have listed here with the Engineer's class perks and other abilities descriptions. *Note that these numbers are subject to change as stated in the April 9th PTS thread. https://imgur.com/a/dTY94f0

How well does the class function? Well overall, I would have to say it feels really polished. There does not seem to be anything like abilities working completely in an improper way from what I have tested, but there are still a few issues present. As stated by other arkhunters, you can get attacked by your own turrets. This happens when you get healed by the support drone, and usually when there are no enemies around along with the heal. The mech's weapon is glitchy; as I finally got to use it earlier, I noticed running while activating it will let me fire the gun...sometimes for the rest of its duration..other times I have to use an ability to continue firing the weapon. There are also times to where I do not need to run to activate the gun...as well as times to where I need to use an ability before firing.

Outside of that, the abilities and perks seem to function as stated by their descriptions. The damage and defenses of the turret abilities might need to be increased a bit (have to try and do more testing on that later). The hit detection on them looks like it needs some improvement as well. The mech seems to get knocked around quite easily...I was at a Volge siege at the Quarry and I got stuck by all of the Bomber's projectiles..so much so that I got down before I even had a chance to do anything...maybe add an option to jump out of the mech or something of the sort...? Also wouldn't mind having the mech be sturdier compared to what it is now... Also, the delay between when the Mech ability runs out and it visually and actually going away seems a bit...off. I was firing my normal weapons at that moment, but it still felt like Mech speed to me.

I might add more to the post, but I think that is all for now. Engineer is an awesome class, and for those waiting on it to hit Live servers..it looks like it will truly have been worth the wait. We are almost there everyone!

Suggestions

The VFX when Minefield's second explosion triggers seems a bit much. VFX for it may need to be toned down a bit, especially with no option to turn off VFX.

Increase the active time for Fury, Logic and Artemis Turret by a few seconds...maybe 5-10? <---- 5 seconds might be better here that way it still promotes the use of High-Quality Parts if the user is not satisfied with the duration amounts.

The Artemis Turret's red laser color could cause confusion in some parts of the game. Perhaps a change of color to say...green (as Kylarran also suggested here http://forums.defiance.com/showthrea...et-laser-color... )... would help ease confusion.
    "Knowledge is Power" however "With great power, comes great responsibility", and so one must tread carefully with life. I would advise you not follow me, unless you want to be guided to holes in the ground and have your video game character die. I am just your mysterious guide. That is all that needs to be known down here. Defiance!

Next up here is the Scaling/TTK feedback. At this point, I felt like I tested enough to provide enough substantial feedback for these areas. I will be breaking this post down into two parts.

Scaling

From what I have noticed, a majority of the game's enemies has had their power rating doubled in their respective areas. Some areas have been more than doubled, while some have been less than doubled. For rounding purposes, let us just go with double. Here are some example pictures. https://imgur.com/a/JLVQR2o

Anywho, what does this mean for us arkhunters? Well, scoring is one noticeable change (more of that will be under Miscellaneous). Another change is that when under a certain enemy level, your character will be raised up to a point where you can actually do something and not take a few minutes to kill one enemy. This is different from Live to where if you are severely underleveled...you are in for a bad time. As it stands right now on PTS, players facing enemies with 5 skulls is not the same as it is on Live servers.

Also one other thing that I would like to put in its own spot here...Shieldglitching. For anyone wondering if this will be a problem in PvE again...it won't be. It does not appear to be the exact same kind of scaling as last year, since enemies still have a set power rating. The difference here is that the enemies do not directly scale with us. If a player's power rating is lower...then our damage and defense get scaled up accordingly.
    Based off some tests that I did in San Francisco... the best performance for both damage and defense will be having everything on and as high of a level as possible. From mixing different gear to taking off pieces of gear...they have all lead to the same conclusion: If you want to be at your best performance, be as close to 5k as possible. Also note that I can not test these changes out in PvP outside of duels, as there are not enough people on the PTS to do it. I can give duels a try but outside of that...I can only do the testing in PvE.

One critique I have with the scaling is that power rating do not visually change when entering an area of stronger enemies. I suppose it may be unnecessary, but I would not mind seeing what the power rating changes to.

A couple concerns about scaling

1. I noticed alongside enemies getting made a higher power rating, damage of weapons have been made lower. Will this change make leveling up weapon skills even more difficult, has the requirement to go up a skill level been reduced, or will we still be going at the same pace as on Live?

2. Shields and grenades have also been made lower. Now, testing with these items seems to function better on PTS, but as I would likely have to test a bit more, it could very well at least function the same in accordance with the enemies, as well as due to weapon enhancement requirements going down (more on that in the next post).

As far as scaling goes, it is overall a well-needed change in my opinion. I have mainly tested this and TTK solo, but I think even this change alone will be enough to help populate areas like San Francisco more (especially for the Dark Matter Monolith boss fight). Players aren't as heavily penalized as they are on Live right now. The scaling changes also make some generous TTK changes. Speaking of TTK...

TTK (Time-To-Kill)

Alongside Scaling, the TTK is a bit different. When underleveled, without proper mods, etc...it does not take as long to kill an enemy as before. This is especially true for even the tougher enemies. In other words, TTK appears to have been decreased. This change helps to make clearing events faster, and being able to kill more alongside the faster clears. I won't post too much about TTK, as I felt I covered most of it in the Scaling section...but this could help make running T5 co-ops more bearable... as well as San Francisco Major Arkfalls (looking at you Monolith).

I would like to note again, that most of these combat tests I have ran solo. I have no idea how things would function when there are say...20+ people at a Major Arkfall or Siege. That is just something that will have to be seen on Live servers.

Also note that I may have more to add to this post later. I am expecting to finalize my results Sunday night/Monday Morning, so if you are interested, keep an eye out for more stuff.
    "Knowledge is Power" however "With great power, comes great responsibility", and so one must tread carefully with life. I would advise you not follow me, unless you want to be guided to holes in the ground and have your video game character die. I am just your mysterious guide. That is all that needs to be known down here. Defiance!

Now is the time for...Enhancement discussion.

Enhancement

As talked about in the patch notes, weapons do not take as much EP to level as they do right now on Live. It appears to be around x10 less the amount of salvage needed... so 25 blue salvage for prototype and legendary weapons between 3000-4000. The way the system works now...it is way easier to max out weapons that you may like. Values for most of the salvage appears to be different than on the Patch notes, so maybe those changes have been made ahead of the PTS build...? Regardless, the weapon leveling appears to be working good.

I am a bit confused on the other Enhancement Catalyst values though...as on Live and PTS, I have only seen Legendary Enhancement Catalysts; I have yet to see the other qualities.

I do like the change made to old salvage for those of us who have quite a bit of that to spend... they still have some value, so it helps to provide a way to clean that from the screen.

One thing I noticed though, is that Auto-salvaging weapons when picked up has provided me with Legacy Salvage at times...unsure if that is intentional or not though.

Oh, and another thing. Points put into rolls do not visually change numbers. I am referring to the numbers on the left part of the far right side screen part. The percentages and numbers on the right side of that appear to increase though.

I believe that is all for this post, see you all on the next one- wait, I am missing something here? Oh...right. Thanks for the reminder!

Reforging

What is special about reforging? Well for starters...you can get a purple weapon up to 5000 now The bonus values also increase when you reforge. You can not increase the weapon's rarity, condition, or reroll the orange Mastery bonus for legendary weapons.

Note that you have to fully enhance a weapon again once you reforge it. Also note that 5000 weapons can be reforged again and again. I do not know how many times as I am typing this, since currently the 1st reforge costs around 30,000 scrip and 120 PG...buying PG on PTS is rather...rough, to say the least. However, I still find it a great way to keep working on a weapon that someone likes. Especially when someone may not have anything they would want to buy at the Gulanee vendors.

I have heard reports of reforging not properly working, as percentages go back to what it was at before reforging. I have not encountered this issue much on my end, so I am unable to offer many details about this issue unfortunately.

In regards to PG spending on reforging, I have a couple of suggestions.

1. Reduce the cost of PG required to reforge. Since I do not know the exact amount of times a weapon can be reforged (I have done it five times so far, 1 of them being from 4750 to 5000 base enhancement), people may end up reforging some of their favorite weapons quite a bit. Also, use of this system may not happen with many since more people will be focused on grabbing mods, synergy crystals, weapons, shields and grenades. If someone were to do reforging...I would suspect they would only do it once as of right now...

The percentage/amount may vary based on the developers' decisions, but I believe that a 25% reduction cost (120 > 90 as an example) for say...the first 5 reforges for all weapons (if not that, at least the first 3 then)...not just the first 5 reforges in general...may work for those who enjoy using more than 1 weapon. It can even slowly rise up as well, such as 90, 96, 102, 108, 114, 120. The slow increase in PG required after hitting 120 is something that I find to be alright with. Now if the PG change is something that will not be considered...

2. Add another separate way to earn Purified Gulanite, another daily that awards Purified Gulanite, or slightly increase the amount of Purified Gulanite that can be given from daily contracts (as well as increase the base cap...?). 60 PG earned a day is not too horrible right now, but with the Reforging system value added in... it seems like it would not be enough to use this system a few times...for both newer players... and veterans. If another way to gain a few more Purified Gulanite is added...then it may help promote the usage of reforging some.

Overall, I find the Reforging system to be a welcome addition to the game, and with some players having good weapons that are not 5k...with this system, they can be brought up finally! Maybe with a few tweaks, widespread usage of this system may happen.

I might add more to this post later too, so keep your eyes open everyone!

Here are some example pictures for enhancement and reforging. https://imgur.com/a/gAaI0W9

And lastly...stuff not directly asked to be looked at like scoring.. reporting requested bugs and bug fixes...and throwing in some extra stuff just because I had the spare time.

Miscellaneous

so first off there is scoring...

Scoring

Along with the scaling changes, some changes have been made to scoring as well. Teamwork and Opportunist points are being brought back (or at least, brought back more). Also with the tougher enemies, scores seem to factor the same as the increase in power rating..at least easily x2 score compared to what is earned now...This means that for places like the Dy'Dekuso arena, it is possible to gold it without resorting to external means. I'll have to check it out if I have the time later, but it seems like as far as sieges go, 2 pieces of raw gulanite are now possible to earn. Here are a few pictures. https://imgur.com/a/NPrHJEg

It seems like this will help with possibly weapon skills, and clan exp, for those who need it...as well as buy more standard boxes faster. Either way though, I do not see anything wrong with the scoring.

I take that back...I have seen an issue with the Defiant Few arenas...interrupting Raiders are not counting for Scoreboard points. They still do the interrupted animation, but no points are earned. Unless that is one of their new abilities...hmm.

Artwork

I understand the extra artistic enemy designs are from classic Defiance, but seeing them for the first time on Defiance 2050...beautiful. Kudos to the person/people who worked on them...the designs look awesome!

Bug Fixes

I have noticed at least 1 bug fix. I'll probably check later to see if anything else has been fixed, but there is 1 fix that I easily noticed. Quantum Archers no longer are oneshotting like how they are on Live right now. In fact, I could probably take about 10 quantum Archer blasts to the face and still live (Note that this does not count with a regular shield or armor...I only tested with a 5000 Fortified Rebel... so the number of blasts will likely be less or more with the other 2 shields).

Shields scale to your power rating versus always being at the same amount across all levels. I am unsure if this was completely a bug fix, or just something that changed with the scaling...but yeah...seems hopeful.

Weapon Stat Issues appear to have been fixed now. The values still change here and there, but they do not appear to be as drastic as they are on Live right now.

Interact buttons appear to have been fixed...?

Senbonzakura appears to at least be semi-working now. Damage numbers are displayed, Experience is earned, and Kill Credit is given.

Discovered Bugs

Over the past few days, I have noticed quite a few bugs. Most are new, but there are a few that are somewhat related to old bugs before this update. I waited until now that way I can try to compile as best of a list as possible. For ease of convenience, I will separate these into sub-categories of this section. Without further ado, let us get into it.

Engineer

Enemies hit by Fury while using Flechette Rounds show no visual indicator of being succumbed to this effect. Enemies, however, leave some sort of redish glow when they die. I am guessing that is the Flechette Round effect but I am not sure.

The numbers shown after Flechette Rounds trigger do not appear to correspond to the ones shown beforehand. Either the % listed in the perk description is inaccurate, or it is doing more damage than intended.

Unlocking Testudo while using a Fortified Rebel shield causes health to regenerate faster than even an Invigorated Rebel of around the same level. Always occurs when doing this process.

Minefield can be used on any class. Activate the M.E.C.H. ability, switch to a class that does not have a second ability unlocked, and you will be able to use Minefield on that class until you switch classes, or travel somewhere. Always can be triggered.

The Logic Drone has a similar effect to the Healing bot where when you are healed by it...NPCS and friendly turrets are likely to attack you or anyone else healed by it. Seems to only occur sometimes...

The device described by Syphon Strike does not to appear visually show correctly...? All that is shown is like a blueish-purple aura on the enemy's body. Always occurs.

Unlocking Suppressive Fire and using the M.E.C.H. does not allow the Mech's weapon to be fired (unless you fire a few bullets while getting into it...it will work fine then). This also causes a jittery effect for the M.E.C.H. when you go to aim down sights. This seems to always occur.

Like with Minefield, the Mech's weapon can be fired with different classes through activating the ability and then switching to another class. Note that for both of these cases, you cannot switch loadouts while the MECH is active. This always seems to occur.

Crouching is an issue when the M.E.C.H is used, as normally after use Crouching cannot be done... and if somehow you are able to crouch, you get stuck in it to where you can sprint. This also can occur when switching from Artemis Turret to the M.E.C.H. Rolling and jumping work fine, but getting stuck in crouch affects the character crouch movement; it makes the character look as though it is moving like a snake...and this is even more noticeable when you have the Engineer's movement speed perk buff. I always seem to get this to occur, even now while doing Event Horizon testing.

When using the M.E.C.H's stomp attack, damage is dealt earlier than when the animation for it is fully completed. This always occurs for me.

When using M.E.CH. before a cutscene and then entering one, the cutscene will glitch out so bad, it will not play correctly. The times that I did do this, they always occurred.

Using M.E.C.H., climbing a ladder, then exiting the ladder will glitch a player character as if there are not in a M.E.C.H., when there still are. This means a player can shoot with their regular weapons and use their regular Engineer abilities. I have not done this too much, but it seems like it would be an always occurrence.

A quick few points here for PvP: The turrets seem to attack other players better in a PvE area rather than a PvP one (such as a duel). Fury will attack players, and Artemis turret might, but they can not be damaged. The MECH even does incredible damage to another player with its weapon (not instakill like old Cerberus turret, but also not as weak as Cerberus turret right now), but when fighting against another MECH...well, it is very likely the ability will run out before either 1 can be damaged enough to drop the player/ kill them. Damaging a MECH while not in one is something that will likely be a bit troublesome to do. If I had to compare them to another game to help explain a bit more...think of the Titans in Titanfall. As far as PvP goes, Engineer is not overpowered in my opinion. Even if you are not using the class, you should still be able to kill players who are using it.

Scaling

Enemies in Emine Liro, Shanje Liro, The Observatory, Kent Docks, and Berk Academy are not properly scaled like the rest of the game is (this excludes co-ops, which still retain their own set of levels per tier). For the 2 listed Liros...Emine Liro has a couple-handful of enemies scaled properly (other ones are standard enemies set to 500 and 4000, as well as middle tier at 500 and 4000), while Shanje Liro had about 2 handfuls of enemies scaled properly. Observatory and Kent Docks had no enemies scaled properly (Observatory does have a few of the more challenging enemies show up, but they are set to 500), while Berk Academy was a mixture of properly scaled enemies and not properly scaled enemies. Pictures as visuals https://imgur.com/a/AbrJvdk Note that this always occurs, and can be easily seen when stepping into these respective arenas.

The Piercer (Liberate the Lost boss) does not appear to summon adds anymore. He only has one phase as of this moment. Once you get the bar down, that is it. Unsure if the other co-op maps are bugged like this since I could really only test Liberate the Lost. https://imgur.com/a/qZvb28q The few times I fought him with a group...it always happened. Tier level does not seem to matter either. I only ran Tiers 3, 4, and 5, but he was bugged on all of them.

Enhancement

A few listed values for New Salvage and Catalysts seem to not correspond with what was stated in the PTS Patch Notes. https://imgur.com/a/olSmVm4 This always can be seen by obtaining New Salvage and Catalysts.

I have not seen earnable Enhancement Catalysts outside of legendary rarity.

Auto-salvaging ground drops can sometimes lead to receiving new legacy salvage.

Points put into rolls do not visually change numbers. I am referring to the numbers on the left part of the far right side screen part. The percentages and numbers on the right side of that appear to increase though. This always seems to occur.

Mods show 0 PR and no stat values on the left side of the screen.

Reforging

I have read reports of reforging not properly working, as percentages go back to what it was at before reforging. I have not encountered this issue much on my end, so I am unable to offer many details about this issue unfortunately.

Extra features and other noticeable changes

Daily and weekly contracts appear on the radar now.

Self-revive cooldown appears to have been decreased a bit. As an example...me going down in round 1 of any Thorn Liro arena for Live...I would not get back my self-revive until round 5 (this is without counting anything that can decrease my self-revive cooldown)...following the same process on PTS, I got my self-revive back at Round 3.

Tier 5 co-ops are not as difficult as they are now on Live. They have been brought down to 3 skulls (guessing it could also be related to the scaling changes made with enemies). https://imgur.com/gpGszav https://imgur.com/ijXIHcg

More enemies seem to have been placed at Major Arkfalls and Sieges now <---- This requires further investigation. Update: It definitely feels like there are more enemies at Major Arkfalls and Sieges now...at least in some areas. It could also be because enemies are stronger now but I feel like there is more to it than that...

Stuff can be interacted with while in the M.E.C.H. This includes grabbing the EGO boosts at Dark Matter Arkfalls, as well as vendors.

Crusader and Engineer outfits have been added to earn underneath Pursuits. https://imgur.com/a/cYn4XNC

Gulanee vendors are at Sieges now <----- This requires further investigation. Update: so far I have only seen it for the Serenity Academy Siege, but it looks promising. https://imgur.com/a/3xljQ3p

Changes likely will be made to this post later today...so look out for that!

Loot break in Sieges! This applies to both base game sieges and the ones as parts of events. https://imgur.com/a/HOuAjdz

Weapons as part of Factions have had their named shortened some. Soleptor is Sol, Von Bach Industries is VBI, and Top Notch Toolworks is TnT.

Quote Originally Posted by Guider View Post
    I will likely make multiple posts to help separate the feedback better. This first one will be for Engineer though, as that is the one I tested the most of so far.

Engineer, one of the big things at least some of us arkhunters have been waiting to see...for some time now. What makes this class special? Well here is what it has for abilities.

Turrets of that which can do
    • Damage to other enemies and provide damage buffs to the player and other allies (along with other stat gains)
    • Heal and ward allies like the combat medic's drone (except no synergy required for ward)
    • damage enemies and regenerate reserve ammo through pulses. Each pulse happens at somewhere between 0.5 seconds-1 second.econd
    • A minefield that does a decent amount of damage to enemies.
    • A M.E.C.H. that lets you shoot rockets, stomp enemies, and fire a machine gun-like weapon. Did I mention it's a Bulwark too?

Here are pictures of the machines. https://imgur.com/a/DuaOBFl

The minefield I have listed here with the Engineer's class perks and other abilities descriptions. *Note that these numbers are subject to change as stated in the April 9th PTS thread. https://imgur.com/a/dTY94f0

How well does the class function? Well overall, I would have to say it feels really polished. There does not seem to be anything like abilities working completely in an improper way from what I have tested, but there are still a few issues present. As stated by other arkhunters, you can get attacked by your own turrets. This happens when you get healed by the support drone, and usually when there are no enemies around along with the heal. The mech's weapon is glitchy; as I finally got to use it earlier, I noticed running while activating it will let me fire the gun...sometimes for the rest of its duration..other times I have to use an ability to continue firing the weapon. There are also times to where I do not need to run to activate the gun...as well as times to where I need to use an ability before firing.

Outside of that, the abilities and perks seem to function as stated by their descriptions. The damage and defenses of the turret abilities might need to be increased a bit (have to try and do more testing on that later). The hit detection on them looks like it needs some improvement as well. The mech seems to get knocked around quite easily...I was at a Volge siege at the Quarry and I got stuck by all of the Bomber's projectiles..so much so that I got down before I even had a chance to do anything...maybe add an option to jump out of the mech or something of the sort...? Also wouldn't mind having the mech be sturdier compared to what it is now... Also, the delay between when the Mech ability runs out and it visually and actually going away seems a bit...off. I was firing my normal weapons at that moment, but it still felt like Mech speed to me.

I might add more to the post, but I think that is all for now. Engineer is an awesome class, and for those waiting on it to hit Live servers..it looks like it will truly have been worth the wait. We are almost there everyone!
    Thank you very much for testing and posting this, greatly appreciated! *high fives and continues to flex that patience*

how op is this stuff in pvp?

Just want to say thank you Guider for sharing this info with the rest of us ark hunters.
    IGN - David Irwin * PSN - cruxkilla *

Quote Originally Posted by DEATHBRINGER210 View Post
    Sadly I have not seen enough players on pts to test pvp.
    ”We don’t become who we dream of if we don’t face our demons. If we shun what conceals us we go blind to that which frees us.” PS4/PC/PTS Markeen D13-2050 BLOODLINES clan founder.

Quote Originally Posted by DEATHBRINGER210 View Post
    I dueled someone with turrets vs turrets...needless to say, as of right now, I don't think those 3 abilities will be that much of a problem.

I haven't tried out MECH or Minefield in a duel yet. I can try getting someone to help with that later though...

I always wanted a Bulwark pet but the Mech will do lol
    See What Happens When They Move In Front Of My Gun?

1IronHeart7:- PC/NA Only
    Arkist Guardian: - PC/NA Only.
    EGO: 6000 (DEFIANCE) / 5000 Finally (DEFIANCE 2050)

When There Was Two Formiddable Hulkers in Explosion 101. Good Times
    WATCH - When Coop Used To be A Challenge after DLC 4 Update in 2014
    WATCH - DyDekuso's Chamber Arena For Gold Medal
    RECOGNIZED ARTIST and 3D SKills - My Blog
    Steam

+ Reply to Thread