+ Reply to Thread

Engineer - April PTS impressions

The Engineer class is going to be a solid addition to ark hunter classes, and I suspect we'll see it in use often both by soloists and in team play depending upon skill choices. Given it's dual offensive/defensive benefits with limited effort on the player's part can simultaneously improve anyone's prefered weapon damage with a good deal of toughness added... as well as to those around you.

Tier 1

Fury - floating dps turret. Summoned for 20 seconds is decent, longer if tier 5's 'High Quality Part's is spec'd. An accurate single target physical dot dmg, backed by an electric pulse shot (visually similar to Beacon prototype) that does high damage to a small aoe radius with a low chance of stunning (could be wrong). Most of the time I was not focused on the Fury's behavior while I was solo on PTS 95% of the time, so I'm pretty sure the sporadic stun effects came from Fury's ele shot.

Tier 2

Flechette Rounds - adds an orange glow to a target. For 5 seconds EVERYONE gets bonus dmg against that target. Thinning out mobs so only a tough mob remains, say a bulwark or tanker, or boss like Daig, then triggering Fury with Flechette is 5 seconds of nasty. Fury doesn't seem to debuff with this often, so there's a sizeable internal cooldown on this ability. Needs focused testing to determine how often it's triggered during Fury's summon time. Once people get used to seeing orange glows on targets, focus fire WILL occur and bodies hit the floor.

Testudo - stationary increased generation. I'm rarely stationary, never tried it. For some who like to tank like a rock by using a single Guardian synergy crystal to increase threat generation while running the Logic turret (2nd turret mentioned later) for additional defense, this skill is for you.

Micro Thrusters - Thank Zephkial who asked Bonesaw (so thanks to Bonesaw for providing it) to add mobility to the Engineer. This is it. 2 seconds of 200% runspeed after a dodge roll. Given the 200% percent speed, the short 2 second duration works well, most of the time.

If you are one of those players who will whine about having to dodge because you never do, I will not cry, nor have any sympathy for your numerous deaths in Defiance, you bring them on yourself with lazy game play. Micro Thrusters brings us next gen dodge rolling. You are free to NOT pick Micro Thrusters. Hellbug archer spawn about to paste you? Multiple warriors and/or monarchs about to ground wave pulse you to death? Inquisitor streaming pink pulse bombs of impending death your way? Fear not with Micro Thrusters.

However, devs... can we finally, please, have 'proc on dodge roll' timers begin AFTER the dodge roll is complete??? This has been a problem with every 'on dodge roll' proc in old Defiance for years. Given the short 2 second limit here, a lot of the boost time is lost on waiting on the roll travel/animation to complete before you zip out of the way of your grave. Add a few split seconds of lag during that dodge roll and there's little zip time left.

There is a slight cooldown on Micro Thrusters, allowing you the bonus mobility every Other dodge roll. It's well balanced, imo. This gives those who don't like to hop around some additional mobility.

This mobility was very helpful while solo on PTS, to create some separation from melee mobs craving your brains, allowing you to circle to different positions to have better firing opportunities on ranged mobs, or whatever your preferred target is.

Note to ark hunters... if you are already slowed, from a snare given by being caught by matron spit, or in the blast radius of an archer's bomb, or from warrior explosion... you will NOT go zoom zoom at the end of your roll. A dodge roll will still shake some of the bio off you, but not enough. So dodge before you get hit.

Tier 3 Your 2nd activatable skill choice. Minefield for added situational dps, Logic turret for heal/defense and team support.

Minefield - accurate and quick toss of about 20-25 small blue munitions in a circle area. The field lasts about 10 seconds before self-detonation of the full or remaining munitions go off. Large mobs seem to trigger them all, instantly. Small mob types only set off one or two individual bomblets leaving the rest to remain for others who wander into the area. The total physical (no nano type) damage is impressive. This skill will bring a lot of glee to those who like to camp spawn spots at places like Kenn Farms, Chinatown or Bathhouse for instance. Using this at choke points to lure melee into is possible.

Logic - this mobile heal and defensive warding turret makes a noticeable difference. Lasts 20 seconds; longer if Tier 5's 'High Quality Parts' is invested in. The cool down period feels appropriate, leaving you to pick the best times in a fight to bring it out, and have it back again in a reasonable time frame. Those familiar with Shield Spanner BMG's from Defiance will recognize the defensive warding bubble effect. I didn't pay close enough attention to it for a full specific review of it. It works... is what I cared about... the warding gives the heal time to make an impact in recovery... which is greatly improved by IMO the premium Engineer talent in Tier 5 - Synchronization, making it a must pick for anyone using Logic.

Tier 4

Syphon Strike - a self-healing skill for those who are in the habit (or develop the habit) of regularly smacking mobs. Turns any melee damage you dish into a vampiric 5 second heal over time skill, use as desired. I typically don't melee, and I did not try this, but I suspect this could be quite handy for shotgunners or people who enjoy smacking mobs off balance an additional reason to benefit from the practice before blowing their enemy away with a pistol crit to the face or shotgun blast.

Frenzy - the only skill I used from this tier on PTS, turning your Fury turret into an additional damage boost to yourself for any damage you are currently dealing. I didn't pay attention to how fast or often it cycles with whatever internal cool down it has... but added kill power in 5 second bursts is always desirable. This talent will have more consistent benefit to those with full automatic weapons, than those who use RL's, timed detonators or snipers... although if that boost manages to coincide with a Quick Repeater like the SS-2 Ranger's 10 shot unloading period on a hellion hovering over the hive... will bring smiles.

Surprise Package - grenades are pretty deadly already... what's not to like tossing out a proximity mine at the same time. Don't miss for best results.

Tier 5

High Quality Parts - adds additional turret duration time to Fury, Logic and Artemis turrets. This is desirable, and hopefully extra skill points can be made available from OJ mastery rolls or from crystal synergy (which wasn't available on PTS) in order to free up some points for this skill... since the next skill is more impactful from tier 5. I suppose a build where only the Fury turret is used could go 5/5 here and do well.

Synchronization - adds both damage and defense to yourself when ANY of your turrets is active. Since multiple turrets don't stack this benefit, staggering your use of turrets keeps the effects from Synchronization active on you... and they are battle changers for yourself. Added survivability and damage... and simply chaining turrets keeps it going. What's not to love. It's not a flashy skill... but it's a staple one that toughens up Engineers. It bears repeating... what's not to love about Synchronization?

Suppressive Fire - adds stacking FR buff to yourself. While I didn't try the following combo, yet, using this combined with the M.E.C.H. ultimate with unlimited ammo... or Vulcan, Thunder or SAW lovers, for instance, this could be just the added punch you are looking for.

Tier 6 - Ultimates

M.E.C.H. - Put yourself into a larger than normal Bulwark. Mow stuff down with a very accurate, long range bullet hose.

This is a fun, unique ability we've not been waiting for, but now that it's here, after a few kinks are worked out... if you don't have Engineer... you Will Want Engineer for This skill.

Physical damage so it's not getting any nano bonuses or weaknesses... so while it's accurate, it may not be the most effective situational weapon. However, I'm sure we will find plenty of locations when it's a very good situational weapon. That said, it's hard to be killed in, and you can still be knocked all over the place from monarchs rolling over you in succession (at a kinship siege, turn this on in later rounds, get ALL the aggro and survive until the MECH timer runs out... LOL)... some of which you can still fire through, sometimes it's too much and you get some sad downtime picking yourself up.

Your 3 activated abilites change. #1 triggers the bright blue rocket barrage that deals burning damage. It doesn't last long, so hose around quickly to spread coldfire flames around or single target a matron's face for extra damage, or the Progenitor core... I didn't quite get to a Dark Matter Monolith. Soloing all 5 cores in S.F. at 3.3k PR... I missed it by a minute or two.

#2 is the usual Bulwark leg stomp/knockback, which I rarely used. Situational use, so it's limited utility, but at 5k the damage it dishes could be a lot with a melee hoard in your face.

#3... IK IK... I NEVER tried it. Laugh all you want, I fully deserve it. This ability might be designed to prematurely exit the MECH should you have miss-clicked into it at a bad time. Sigh. However, this shows how much I enjoyed hosing down mobs with #1 to test it out in various situations.

Artemis - the Artemis turret is the Engineer's ultimate-level support tool. It's a fixed location, non-mobile, front firing 180 degree turret with a visable pulsing area of support for everyone to see. Anyone standing in the 360 degree circular field gains bonus damage and ammo resupply. For the engineer, the Artemis damage stacks with (and triggers the summoning Engineer's) Synchonization talent and Fury/Frenzy's sporadic 5 second damage boosts, as well as with any Fury/Flechette Round debuffed target (God help it).

As fun as the MECH is, this skill is... while not flashy... a powerful damage buff to those wise enough to make use of it. Since using it will entice people pooling together, it might not be the best idea to use it at Dark Matter Monolith.... unless, of course, you WANT to encourage people to die for you to get a sizeable revive score.

This skill is going to make the Progenitor even easier to snuff out, with the puddle of people behind the core all getting boosted by it. That said... Dev's... it's time you significantly boost the HP on some open world bosses, the Progenitor especially since Artemis is going to allow any group to make even shorter work of it. It's already embarrassing now, before Engineer hits. Everyone will want to enjoy pouring smashing dps into it to /flex and they just can't and won't be able to enjoy it until there is some rebalancing adjustment of HP.

Final comments... the Engineer class has been worth the wait. The dev's have created a synergistic class tree that has a little bit for everyone... more damage, more survivability, 2 legitimate support skills - one damage the other heal/protection, some love for melee. Sure it's going to create some imbalance, certainly if PVP was still a significant thing, but hopefully those will be addressed in the next month after the new scaling system hits Live.

2050 PC/NA Founder: Babydoll (with permission from Professor Chaos) aka Babydahl, Bloody Natasha, Kylarran in Defiance
    Defiance PC/NA Founders: Professor Chaos and Iron Death, RIP brother

i liked the engineer....although it provides a very good survivability for soloing like previously stated, i am not fond of the mech. i heard a lot of people complaining about visibility in mech form. If that is addressed, it would really rock! can't wait till it gets in game, will make a toon for it even if i have to delete one i have already!! well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Kylarran View Post
    The Engineer class is going to be a solid addition to ark hunter classes, and I suspect we'll see it in use often both by soloists and in team play depending upon skill choices. Given it's dual offensive/defensive benefits with limited effort on the player's part can simultaneously improve anyone's prefered weapon damage with a good deal of toughness added... as well as to those around you.

Tier 1

Fury - floating dps turret. Summoned for 20 seconds is decent, longer if tier 5's 'High Quality Part's is spec'd. An accurate single target physical dot dmg, backed by an electric pulse shot (visually similar to Beacon prototype) that does high damage to a small aoe radius with a low chance of stunning (could be wrong). Most of the time I was not focused on the Fury's behavior while I was solo on PTS 95% of the time, so I'm pretty sure the sporadic stun effects came from Fury's ele shot.

Tier 2

Flechette Rounds - adds an orange glow to a target. For 5 seconds EVERYONE gets bonus dmg against that target. Thinning out mobs so only a tough mob remains, say a bulwark or tanker, or boss like Daig, then triggering Fury with Flechette is 5 seconds of nasty. Fury doesn't seem to debuff with this often, so there's a sizeable internal cooldown on this ability. Needs focused testing to determine how often it's triggered during Fury's summon time. Once people get used to seeing orange glows on targets, focus fire WILL occur and bodies hit the floor.

Testudo - stationary increased generation. I'm rarely stationary, never tried it. For some who like to tank like a rock by using a single Guardian synergy crystal to increase threat generation while running the Logic turret (2nd turret mentioned later) for additional defense, this skill is for you.

Micro Thrusters - Thank Zephkial who asked Bonesaw (so thanks to Bonesaw for providing it) to add mobility to the Engineer. This is it. 2 seconds of 200% runspeed after a dodge roll. Given the 200% percent speed, the short 2 second duration works well, most of the time.

If you are one of those players who will whine about having to dodge because you never do, I will not cry, nor have any sympathy for your numerous deaths in Defiance, you bring them on yourself with lazy game play. Micro Thrusters brings us next gen dodge rolling. You are free to NOT pick Micro Thrusters. Hellbug archer spawn about to paste you? Multiple warriors and/or monarchs about to ground wave pulse you to death? Inquisitor streaming pink pulse bombs of impending death your way? Fear not with Micro Thrusters.

However, devs... can we finally, please, have 'proc on dodge roll' timers begin AFTER the dodge roll is complete??? This has been a problem with every 'on dodge roll' proc in old Defiance for years. Given the short 2 second limit here, a lot of the boost time is lost on waiting on the roll travel/animation to complete before you zip out of the way of your grave. Add a few split seconds of lag during that dodge roll and there's little zip time left.

There is a slight cooldown on Micro Thrusters, allowing you the bonus mobility every Other dodge roll. It's well balanced, imo. This gives those who don't like to hop around some additional mobility.

This mobility was very helpful while solo on PTS, to create some separation from melee mobs craving your brains, allowing you to circle to different positions to have better firing opportunities on ranged mobs, or whatever your preferred target is.

Note to ark hunters... if you are already slowed, from a snare given by being caught by matron spit, or in the blast radius of an archer's bomb, or from warrior explosion... you will NOT go zoom zoom at the end of your roll. A dodge roll will still shake some of the bio off you, but not enough. So dodge before you get hit.

Tier 3 Your 2nd activatable skill choice. Minefield for added situational dps, Logic turret for heal/defense and team support.

Minefield - accurate and quick toss of about 20-25 small blue munitions in a circle area. The field lasts about 10 seconds before self-detonation of the full or remaining munitions go off. Large mobs seem to trigger them all, instantly. Small mob types only set off one or two individual bomblets leaving the rest to remain for others who wander into the area. The total physical (no nano type) damage is impressive. This skill will bring a lot of glee to those who like to camp spawn spots at places like Kenn Farms, Chinatown or Bathhouse for instance. Using this at choke points to lure melee into is possible.

Logic - this mobile heal and defensive warding turret makes a noticeable difference. Lasts 20 seconds; longer if Tier 5's 'High Quality Parts' is invested in. The cool down period feels appropriate, leaving you to pick the best times in a fight to bring it out, and have it back again in a reasonable time frame. Those familiar with Shield Spanner BMG's from Defiance will recognize the defensive warding bubble effect. I didn't pay close enough attention to it for a full specific review of it. It works... is what I cared about... the warding gives the heal time to make an impact in recovery... which is greatly improved by IMO the premium Engineer talent in Tier 5 - Synchronization, making it a must pick for anyone using Logic.

Tier 4

Syphon Strike - a self-healing skill for those who are in the habit (or develop the habit) of regularly smacking mobs. Turns any melee damage you dish into a vampiric 5 second heal over time skill, use as desired. I typically don't melee, and I did not try this, but I suspect this could be quite handy for shotgunners or people who enjoy smacking mobs off balance an additional reason to benefit from the practice before blowing their enemy away with a pistol crit to the face or shotgun blast.

Frenzy - the only skill I used from this tier on PTS, turning your Fury turret into an additional damage boost to yourself for any damage you are currently dealing. I didn't pay attention to how fast or often it cycles with whatever internal cool down it has... but added kill power in 5 second bursts is always desirable. This talent will have more consistent benefit to those with full automatic weapons, than those who use RL's, timed detonators or snipers... although if that boost manages to coincide with a Quick Repeater like the SS-2 Ranger's 10 shot unloading period on a hellion hovering over the hive... will bring smiles.

Surprise Package - grenades are pretty deadly already... what's not to like tossing out a proximity mine at the same time. Don't miss for best results.

Tier 5

High Quality Parts - adds additional turret duration time to Fury, Logic and Artemis turrets. This is desirable, and hopefully extra skill points can be made available from OJ mastery rolls or from crystal synergy (which wasn't available on PTS) in order to free up some points for this skill... since the next skill is more impactful from tier 5. I suppose a build where only the Fury turret is used could go 5/5 here and do well.

Synchronization - adds both damage and defense to yourself when ANY of your turrets is active. Since multiple turrets don't stack this benefit, staggering your use of turrets keeps the effects from Synchronization active on you... and they are battle changers for yourself. Added survivability and damage... and simply chaining turrets keeps it going. What's not to love. It's not a flashy skill... but it's a staple one that toughens up Engineers. It bears repeating... what's not to love about Synchronization?

Suppressive Fire - adds stacking FR buff to yourself. While I didn't try the following combo, yet, using this combined with the M.E.C.H. ultimate with unlimited ammo... or Vulcan, Thunder or SAW lovers, for instance, this could be just the added punch you are looking for.

Tier 6 - Ultimates

M.E.C.H. - Put yourself into a larger than normal Bulwark. Mow stuff down with a very accurate, long range bullet hose.

This is a fun, unique ability we've not been waiting for, but now that it's here, after a few kinks are worked out... if you don't have Engineer... you Will Want Engineer for This skill.

Physical damage so it's not getting any nano bonuses or weaknesses... so while it's accurate, it may not be the most effective situational weapon. However, I'm sure we will find plenty of locations when it's a very good situational weapon. That said, it's hard to be killed in, and you can still be knocked all over the place from monarchs rolling over you in succession (at a kinship siege, turn this on in later rounds, get ALL the aggro and survive until the MECH timer runs out... LOL)... some of which you can still fire through, sometimes it's too much and you get some sad downtime picking yourself up.

Your 3 activated abilites change. #1 triggers the bright blue rocket barrage that deals burning damage. It doesn't last long, so hose around quickly to spread coldfire flames around or single target a matron's face for extra damage, or the Progenitor core... I didn't quite get to a Dark Matter Monolith. Soloing all 5 cores in S.F. at 3.3k PR... I missed it by a minute or two.

#2 is the usual Bulwark leg stomp/knockback, which I rarely used. Situational use, so it's limited utility, but at 5k the damage it dishes could be a lot with a melee hoard in your face.

#3... IK IK... I NEVER tried it. Laugh all you want, I fully deserve it. This ability might be designed to prematurely exit the MECH should you have miss-clicked into it at a bad time. Sigh. However, this shows how much I enjoyed hosing down mobs with #1 to test it out in various situations.

Artemis - the Artemis turret is the Engineer's ultimate-level support tool. It's a fixed location, non-mobile, front firing 180 degree turret with a visable pulsing area of support for everyone to see. Anyone standing in the 360 degree circular field gains bonus damage and ammo resupply. For the engineer, the Artemis damage stacks with (and triggers the summoning Engineer's) Synchonization talent and Fury/Frenzy's sporadic 5 second damage boosts, as well as with any Fury/Flechette Round debuffed target (God help it).

As fun as the MECH is, this skill is... while not flashy... a powerful damage buff to those wise enough to make use of it. Since using it will entice people pooling together, it might not be the best idea to use it at Dark Matter Monolith.... unless, of course, you WANT to encourage people to die for you to get a sizeable revive score.

This skill is going to make the Progenitor even easier to snuff out, with the puddle of people behind the core all getting boosted by it. That said... Dev's... it's time you significantly boost the HP on some open world bosses, the Progenitor especially since Artemis is going to allow any group to make even shorter work of it. It's already embarrassing now, before Engineer hits. Everyone will want to enjoy pouring smashing dps into it to /flex and they just can't and won't be able to enjoy it until there is some rebalancing adjustment of HP.

Final comments... the Engineer class has been worth the wait. The dev's have created a synergistic class tree that has a little bit for everyone... more damage, more survivability, 2 legitimate support skills - one damage the other heal/protection, some love for melee. Sure it's going to create some imbalance, certainly if PVP was still a significant thing, but hopefully those will be addressed in the next month after the new scaling system hits Live.
    Thanks for testing and sharing this info! Oh, and...

ROFLMAO!!!
    ♪Bobby Valentino: Slow Down | My Angel (Never Leave You) | Nelly - My Place (feat. Jaheim)♪

Defiance 2050:

PS4-NA
    IGN: Kuraokami
    Clan: Eternal Souls
    Primary: The Tempest
    Secondary: M212 Demon (My bae, my ride or die, my gun with 2 legs, she got me)
    Class: Guardian
    Synergy Matrix: Backlash (3), Recruit (3)

The Elder Scrolls Online:

PS4-NA
    IGN: Izuminokami
    Class: Sorcerer
    Alliance: Aldmeri Dominion
    Race: Dark Elf
    Role: Magicka DPS