+ Reply to Thread

Hotshot: Crystal Defense Help

Howdy all,

I normally skip most single player content in the game but today all 3 faction contracts were ones I normally skip. I don’t find them fun, you can get gold and still fail, and the whole concept in anathema to a MMO.

Moonshine Shack was irritating enough with no obvious indicator of when it would end. Crystal Defense was on another level with the limited ammo and similar lack of ending indicators. After four tries I walked away despite getting to gold tier each time yet failing.

I followed the advice of waiting for groups before launching. I tried pulling out the Engineer perks. Every time all the crystals were consumed and I failed.

Any advice?

Buy, sell, trade and socialize at the Hulker Cafe

When you reach bronze, do a quick mag dump. It ends when you run out of ammos.

For moonshine shack, all you need to do is reach bronze then die (or run out of ammos work too).

For Crystal Defense:

You are limited in ammo. I found it's best to take my time, pacing out dropping shots and ONLY shooting at pair/clumps of skitterlings. You HAVE to hit the warriors, best early before they start running.

Strategically, you don't want to lose ALL the crystal nodes. As long as you have 1 left up when you run out of ammo, you are good. So spread those spaced out, measured grenades out to help thin out skitterlings at all the nodes. Leaving one or two at each is fine, you don't want 3 to 5 chewing one of them up. Warriors one shot a crystal with it's pounce attack, which is why they must die. Warriors only spawn at the bottom so get them early. Also when you lose a crystal, that usually means there was a skitterling build up and that swarm can snowball finishing off the next closest crystal node too. So don't let them.

Remember, get a feel for the multiplier countdown resetting itself, which is a no no... that still gives you plenty of time to space out your shots to hit multiple targets. If you need det lobbing practice arching at long range, well you can do it there. Notice the crystal itself blocks the blast radius from hitting targets on the opposite side of the crystal, so place your shots smartly.

And... saving the Pro Tip for last... do this in Demolitionist class. It's got a perk that adds to explosive blast radius, allowing you to have a wider blast to make catching multiple targets easier.

2050 PC/NA Founder: Babydoll (with permission from Professor Chaos) aka Babydahl, Bloody Natasha, Kylarran in Defiance
    Defiance PC/NA Founders: Professor Chaos and Iron Death, RIP brother

Quote Originally Posted by clubside View Post
    Any advice?
    If you have trouble killing them from above, jump down to get closer.

Once u get bronze just empty your ammo and it will end as a pass. As above for rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Kylarran View Post
    ... do this in Demolitionist class. It's got a perk that adds to explosive blast radius, allowing you to have a wider blast to make catching multiple targets easier.
    This is how I completed it... sooooo much easier.
    Defiance 2050 = 2018's worst cash grab. 100% fact.
    Medjed: "Trust me, we will do our best to avoid any unanswered questions."
    Why add content to either game when people routinely gamble on bit store trash? 4Head

Thanks everyone. I thought running out of ammo would end it without a fail but I guess when I did it earlier all the crystals were destroyed at the same time. Still not fun but at least I can finish it now!

Buy, sell, trade and socialize at the Hulker Cafe

Walk up to edge with Engineer class! Drop turret, it will spawn below! Kill some bugs with the Detonator! Get bronze. Unload rest of ammo as fast as you can! Done! Easy peasy!
    CLAN: LEGENDARY GUNS