+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Sniping Tips?

Quote Originally Posted by Ensu View Post
    Electrical (if it procs) will usually stop a sniper returning fire, because they won't be able to use their scope. Biological people just combat roll out of, so it isn't hugely useful.

If you're one shotting players the damage type of your weapon is moot. Some shields provide resistance to particular types of damage, so it may even be better to have a non-elemental weapon.

If you're using a semi-automatic you'll be more likely to be hitting the body as well as the head, so elemental weapons would be more likely to proc, increasing their usefulness.
    Ok. Thank you for the advice. I have more then enough non-elemental bolt actions to use if I need too. I am still not sure though on which rifle I prefer at the moment. Both semi-auto and bolt action seem good to use, but I guess I'll have to figure that out later.

I'm a little past ego level 900 now and did most of it with a bolt action sniper rifle. Only tips I can give really are:
    • Aim at the chin/neck area, the head hitboxes are goofy.
    • There's no bullet travel time, so aim where they are, and just lead the target a little if they're moving.
    • Find and use anything that will crank up your crit damage, that's your bread and butter.
    • If you snipe from far out (maybe 100-150 yards?) and one-shot enemies, it won't alert the rest. You can take out entire camps without anyone seeing you sometimes. If you miss though, they'll spot you, so take careful shots.
    • Learn the crit hotspots on all the enemies (it's not always the head, there's enemy videos you can earn via pursuits that tell you what they are, otherwise trial and error)
    • If you're being fired at by riflemen enemies, make sure you have cover nearby, they're pretty accurate even at long ranges so don't depend on them missing.
    • Set up your secondary weapon for close/mid range for when the enemy manages to close the gap. I used an Assault Rifle since it has the most versatility.
    • Watch and learn the patterns of enemies, many of them will have moves that telegraph moments where they're going to stay still for a bit (and thus a good opportunity to get in a headshot). Additionally, learn to pick targets by which ones are the biggest threat to you.
    • Try to get higher ground when you can (and get the perk as well), it gives you more area to survey, and it tends to confuse the AI in terms of getting into melee range.

Quote Originally Posted by WNxTyr4el View Post
    I've always loved sniping in video games but have never really been good at it lol. Anyone have any tips for a rookie sniper?
    What i do to get better is simply just always move while im aiming, before I aim in, I make sure my target is pretty close to the aim (the on screen aim, try to place to target inbetween before I aim in) and pull the trigger, try to do it as fast as possible, as many targets as possible, and always go for one shot, one kill. Everything else then a critical hit is a failure
    "Veni, vidi, vici"

Check out my Twich!!

Other lads have given you great tips but one of the best ones is to breath slowly and keep calm else you'll be missing more than you should.

Quote Originally Posted by Redcastle View Post
    I'm a little past ego level 900 now and did most of it with a bolt action sniper rifle. Only tips I can give really are:
    • Aim at the chin/neck area, the head hitboxes are goofy.
    • There's no bullet travel time, so aim where they are, and just lead the target a little if they're moving.
    • Find and use anything that will crank up your crit damage, that's your bread and butter.
    • If you snipe from far out (maybe 100-150 yards?) and one-shot enemies, it won't alert the rest. You can take out entire camps without anyone seeing you sometimes. If you miss though, they'll spot you, so take careful shots.
    • Learn the crit hotspots on all the enemies (it's not always the head, there's enemy videos you can earn via pursuits that tell you what they are, otherwise trial and error)
    • If you're being fired at by riflemen enemies, make sure you have cover nearby, they're pretty accurate even at long ranges so don't depend on them missing.
    • Set up your secondary weapon for close/mid range for when the enemy manages to close the gap. I used an Assault Rifle since it has the most versatility.
    • Watch and learn the patterns of enemies, many of them will have moves that telegraph moments where they're going to stay still for a bit (and thus a good opportunity to get in a headshot). Additionally, learn to pick targets by which ones are the biggest threat to you.
    • Try to get higher ground when you can (and get the perk as well), it gives you more area to survey, and it tends to confuse the AI in terms of getting into melee range.
    Thanks for the tips, I will try them out myself
    "Veni, vidi, vici"

Check out my Twich!!

To get moving targets, just aim ahead and let them run into the crosshairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ensu View Post
    Electrical (if it procs) will usually stop a sniper returning fire, because they won't be able to use their scope. Biological people just combat roll out of, so it isn't hugely useful.

If you're one shotting players the damage type of your weapon is moot. Some shields provide resistance to particular types of damage, so it may even be better to have a non-elemental weapon.

If you're using a semi-automatic you'll be more likely to be hitting the body as well as the head, so elemental weapons would be more likely to proc, increasing their usefulness.

I like electrical because it appears to change the firing audio from a loud bang to a much softer click. Also, might be just me, but the bullet trail (smoke trail?) seems to be reduced or gone when firing electrical sniper rifles?

Quote Originally Posted by Dandrielas View Post
    I would say more of the chin/ neck area due to the messed up hit boxes.
    I go for the "top lip" sweet spot myself and it seems to work.
    Bugger a Dodge Challenger, give me a Hilux !

If you're on PC, I'd suggest turning off aim assist.

Quote Originally Posted by FriendlyStranger View Post
    If you're on PC, I'd suggest turning off aim assist.
    I recommend it even if you're not on PC(Ps3 here). More often then not it screws up your shot.