+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

[Mods] and Texture Modifications

I have played around with a wad extractor for a while now, and it seems like it should be pretty easy to replace the low res in-game textures with the corresponding character creation textures. Simple renaming.

I guess however that this is not legal, considering this is an MMO?

I know I'd like to see this, and I can't be alone in this regard.

A better way would of course be to allow the overwriting of certain main files by using an override directory. This way the devs can control which files are replaced.

At the moment, there seems to be no checks for changes on launch of the game, so that gives the impression that they want us to be able to mod the game. I think they said they wanted addon functionality if possible as well. I just want some discussion around the subject.

Currently there have been no bans for client side modifications.

Not a good idea. Ideally we'd have PC-unique higher-resolution textures, but... yeah.

We'll just have to wait and see what they are planning.

As for mod support, this is something, if it comes is not likely to be added for a long time. It's nothing they can just quickly add to the game, and to be honest there are more important things to focus on right now.
    Platform: PC
    Character: Blackwolfe (EU)

Rolling with the Red Thugs!

I highly doubt there will be any sort of texture modification in the game at any given time. Many individuals would have the power to replace some wall textures with transparent ones resulting in x-ray vision. This will upset the pvp realm greatly.

Quote Originally Posted by Schwa View Post
    Not a good idea. Ideally we'd have PC-unique higher-resolution textures, but... yeah.
    Nice argument.
    I personally think this texture switch is a good idea, and will most likely use it myself, as my computer can pull quite a lot more texture memory.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackwolfe
    We'll just have to wait and see what they are planning.

As for mod support, this is something, if it comes is not likely to be added for a long time. It's nothing they can just quickly add to the game, and to be honest there are more important things to focus on right now.
    The support is already there. Considering it can be done so easily.

Quote Originally Posted by djin
    I highly doubt there will be any sort of texture modification in the game at any given time. Many individuals would have the power to replace some wall textures with transparent ones resulting in x-ray vision. This will upset the pvp realm greatly.
    This is what an override directory would resolve. Because the launcher would verify integrity of local files, and make sure only certain files (in this case character textures) could be modified. Worst you could do with that is to create all red/blue skins etc. But this is something most shooter fans have enjoyed in the past anyway, and does not impact gameplay much at all.

No checks for changes on launch =/= support for it. That it is seemingly easy to do =/= support for it. When they officially announce that there is support for it, then there is. Until then, I would seriously advice against it. If you did it, and you got banned, then it's your own problem.

SweetFX is not a client side modification. Changing normal setting files, not a client side modification. What are these client side modifications you mention that people have not been banned for?
    Platform: PC
    Character: Blackwolfe (EU)

Rolling with the Red Thugs!

Quote Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
    I have played around with a wad extractor for a while now, and it seems like it should be pretty easy to replace the low res in-game textures with the corresponding character creation textures. Simple renaming.

I guess however that this is not legal, considering this is an MMO?

I know I'd like to see this, and I can't be alone in this regard.

A better way would of course be to allow the overwriting of certain main files by using an override directory. This way the devs can control which files are replaced.

At the moment, there seems to be no checks for changes on launch of the game, so that gives the impression that they want us to be able to mod the game. I think they said they wanted addon functionality if possible as well. I just want some discussion around the subject.

Modifying game files is a bannable offense if you're caught. If you go and change out your textures, and then Trion puts a file integrity check into their game? Well, you're not going to be too happy.
    Now on the other hand using a shader injector such as SweetFX doesn't break the EULA that you've agreed to due to the fact it injects into DirectX and not the game process. A clan mate asked a GM this in live chat and they confirmed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
    Do you have a source for this, or are you basing this on the fact that you personally haven't heard of anyone being banned for it?

Quote Originally Posted by Jestunhi View Post
    Do you have a source for this, or are you basing this on the fact that you personally haven't heard of anyone being banned for it?
    I believe this is common knowledge in certain online communities. Who have been streams exploits all day since day one. That's third party software. Not the use of original, unmodified textures.

However, if I had been playing with this modification for several weeks, I could not state that here due to the TOU, that is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackwolfe
    No checks for changes on launch =/= support for it. That it is seemingly easy to do =/= support for it. When they officially announce that there is support for it, then there is. Until then, I would seriously advice against it. If you did it, and you got banned, then it's your own problem.
    It's not like quake 1 were announced to have mod support? Official mod support is a fairly new term, and developers should not have to spoon-feed information in order for the community to help improve on their games. If they make the game easily moddable, you will see a lot of mods for it. That's just the way of things. These usually also increase popularity, which is a win, win.

And yes, it would be my problem, nothing you need to worry about, but this thread was not about issues of legality. It was whenether people would like to see these textures switched out on the pc platform. Preferably as an official addon, of course.

asa rule of thumb in mmo's modifying the textures is a no no.

there's a long rich history of this being abused by players and guilds, ranging from the nude skins pack for l2 to the wall bypass in wow vanilla.

i can think of a few ways modding the textures in this game could be abused.

you are simply going to have to wait for trion to get off their ***** and make higher rez textures an option, though keep in mind last time i looked rift didn't have the most hi rez textures either. and has a general washed out look to in general, with low pop in distances and such.

generally you can get away with editing ini files, since that's what ini files are for. but for unpacking and repacking things liek wad files, it's a safe bet that it's a no go, and if caught you will be banned. even if the launcher doesn't have an obvious way to check for it.

ofc there are examples of exceptions, such as in aion using foriegn region language voice packs is generally is allowed.