+ Reply to Thread

Does the "MMO" stop at San Francisco?...

... or is the PS3 version just lack that many PS3 players? I have not seen one purple dot in the past couple of hours of playing in San Francisco, for my first time there.

Note: I bought this game for PS3 instead of Xbox, because my XBL friends list is full of CoD and Halo fans. I thought I'd reach out to the Sony corner of the gaming world by buying a PS3, Defiance, KZ3, And R3. I've only friend-ed like 6 people since March. Was PS3 a mistake?

Most players have yet to get that far in the story mode to have unlocked San Fran. Those of us that have, well some like the area, some don't. But with those that don't, and coupled with the fact that most of the casuals are still in the Northern Sector...leaves San Fran pretty much a ghost town.

Most people finished the story and waiting for the next DLC, and most likely running around the north for ARKfalls

The thing about San Francisco (in my opinion) is that the map is boring. Very few people will hang around if they are done with the missions in the area or there aren't any arkfalls. Hell I'm even avoiding the dailies in San Francisco. As for your question about PS3 over Xbox, I was debating about that at first too. For which console should I buy Defiance, I thought I prefer the Xbox controller over the dual shock for shooters but also considered the Xbox Live membership which I don't pay 'cause I don't need to (play mostly offline on xbox) So Playstation was looking like the better choice. Once I got into the PC beta the decision was made for me, my PC could run Defiance even if it doesn't have that great of a vid card and I already have a wired Xbox controller plugged for some games that support it so PC had both the controller and free internet that I wanted in the consoles.

PS3 not a mistake at all.

I find San Francisco Island a depressing land because it is so desolate and so I prioritized completing all my pursuits there and not much reason for me to revisit that area unless there is an Open Contract for something.

For most contracts that want you killing things in San Francisco, you can just do the RAMPAGE mission by the bridge fast-travel a few times over so there really isn't much "game" reason for people to hang around in San Francisco.

Also, people that have not yet completed ACT IV of story mode can't get there without a co-op / friend to teleport to. The San Francisco random event fights are also much harder which I personally don't mind.

Basically many reasons most people will spend more time in the rest of the world map over San Francisco. Anytime I have played in San Francisco after first week of game release, there has always been someone else there doing their thing. Arkfals also attract players together.

I think by now you should have joined an active clan and play more with people from the clan even if they are not on your PS3 friend list. Play the co-op missions and be a good person to have on the team and you will get the invite for clan / friend etc.

Once they fix the voice-chat issue in this game (not PS3), then it will be a more social game I think. Patch is coming tomorrow...

Quote Originally Posted by DanNine View Post
    The thing about San Francisco (in my opinion) is that the map is boring. Very few people will hang around if they are done with the missions in the area or there aren't any arkfalls. Hell I'm even avoiding the dailies in San Francisco. As for your question about PS3 over Xbox, I was debating about that at first too. For which console should I buy Defiance, I thought I prefer the Xbox controller over the dual shock for shooters but also considered the Xbox Live membership which I don't pay 'cause I don't need to (play mostly offline on xbox) So Playstation was looking like the better choice. Once I got into the PC beta the decision was made for me, my PC could run Defiance even if it doesn't have that great of a vid card and I already have a wired Xbox controller plugged for some games that support it so PC had both the controller and free internet that I wanted in the consoles.
    PC is a good choice except for all the cheaters/hackers that ruin the game for more noble gamers. I always take a little time getting adjusted switching between Xbox 360 and PS3 controller but soon it doesn't matter.

I'm a PS3 guy and I too have finished the Main Missions. Now I'm going back through the Side Quests in SF. I was just on 30 min ago (4pm Pac Std Time) and there were quite a few in that area of the map.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Tanng View Post
    ... or is the PS3 version just lack that many PS3 players? I have not seen one purple dot in the past couple of hours of playing in San Francisco, for my first time there.

Note: I bought this game for PS3 instead of Xbox, because my XBL friends list is full of CoD and Halo fans. I thought I'd reach out to the Sony corner of the gaming world by buying a PS3, Defiance, KZ3, And R3. I've only friend-ed like 6 people since March. Was PS3 a mistake?
    I almost always am in San Fran, now reason is, is because their isn't many people around, this leaves a lot of Emergency's free for me to reap the full reward, as when your not in group, and people assist, the XP is lowered, where'as group members seem to share XP as if in co-op. Now that said, post patch my intention is to reboot the story, if what I've been told is true, starting the first mission again is like a new game plus, reason I intend on doing this, is a friend of mine JUST got the game, he hasn't played it much cause he tires of quitting the game every 40 minuets - an hour a half due to voice chat derping.

If I can-not cross San Fran's bridge normally I'll just fast travel. Regardless as mentioned San Fran, I enjoy, maybe it's the chalenge dark matter gives, or maybe the fact I love killing Scrappers, ether way I tend on relaxing there, and headshoting Darkmatter, or pulverizing Scrappers. I also enjoy the Hotshot down there too, frankly I think anyone who doesn't is insane as it's a shooting gallery minigame... and some of those Hotshots, especially that one,and Moonshiner which last I checked I held top score in, are relaxing for me, like ESPECIALLY if I ended up getting creamed doing something I'll just head to one of those 2 hotshots and relax.

PS: To anyone who has issues finding Hulkers, the Hotshot "Moonshiners Shack" spawns them endlessly after u survive about 5 minuets, at this point all u have is 2 Blitzers, a Blaster, and about 10 Rioters to deal with besides the Hulker,if you can find and take down the Blitzer and Blaster quick you can then unload a clip into the Hulker, rinse and repeat, extra hint.... Assassin's Cache awards ammo per crit kill in that Hotshot. Use that to your advantage when going for Gold, or Hulker Kills.
    "Impossible is not a thing, nor is it an action, it is simply a state of mind, for once sailing to America, was deemed Impossible" - EmoPyroNecrosis, yeah I said it... so :P

Founder if the National Arkhunting Association guild

Creator of the exploding watermelon,
    Maker of the invincible chicken,
    Farmer of the Doesy Does,
    That guy who effed your mom last night,
    EmoPyroNecrosis... Did I mention I also love Pi?

A lot of people (including me) probably didn't want to rush through the main missions. I've had the game since launch, and I just completed "Seize the Day" today. I play Shadow War most of the time, along with some general exploring and side missions. The DLC got pushed back, so there's no need to rush to the current "endgame". I was in San Fran once, because I teleported to a friend, and it's brown and ugly. Boring as all hell and I don't plan on going back after I complete my missions or have to do pursuits/contracts.

I have completed all the main missions and side missions on both islands and to be honest it wouldn't bother me in the slightest if i didn't have to go to San Fran ever again, it's a horrible map and just dull as fuzz. Also driving around that place i find is a frigging nightmare.
    PSN: Nosworc82
    IGN: Vectra - Ego: 395, Origin - Ego: 1560 (Retired)
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jimmy.crowson?ref=tn_tnmn