+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Is Defiance even Post-Apocalyptic?

Here is the definition of Post-Apocalyptic from the Oxford Dictionary of Science Fiction

Following a large-scale disaster in which civilization has been destroyed or has regressed to a more primitive level; (of a story) having such a setting.

The closest Defiance get's to this is the period during the pale wars, but from what I've read and seen in the show, the world has more in common with parts of Europe during WWII than a true Post-Apocalyptic setting. I mean, the EMC was recruiting troops and producing supplies right up until the end of the Pale Wars, when the EMC became the ER.

There is large scale trading, research and even arms production still going on in the world of Defiance. Government is about as developed as the frontier in the American Wild West, but it is there. But you know what, Defiance seems to be lending itself to that. It even calls the area we play in the Bay Area Frontier.

So for all you *******s saying we need bows because this is a Post-Apocalyptic setting, you are wrong. As wrong as Gearbox was in calling borderlands 1 post-apocalyptic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Omnifarious View Post
    Just remember kids, DON'T ASK QUESTIONS HERE. That's a banworthy offense.
    Ammo Pool increase with skill level

A deeper look at Defiance - Please comment

I don't think i've ever thought of it as post-apocalyptic, I don't understand why anyone would.

Saying it's post-apocalyptic in a literal sense probably is slightly off. But I'm no expert.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrik View Post
    Saying it's post-apocalyptic in a literal sense probably is slightly off. But I'm no expert.
    I don't think it works even in the non to the word sense. Like I said, the closest it gets is Europe during WWII
    Quote Originally Posted by Omnifarious View Post
    Just remember kids, DON'T ASK QUESTIONS HERE. That's a banworthy offense.
    Ammo Pool increase with skill level

A deeper look at Defiance - Please comment

How about Post-Arkocalyptic?

Well the definition could help here:

1. Of or relating to an apocalypse.
    2. Involving or portending widespread devastation or ultimate doom: "now speaks in apocalyptic terms about the probable conflict ahead" (Financial Times).
    3. Characterized by usually exaggerated predictions of or allusions to a disastrous outcome: "Stripped of its apocalyptic tone, what this amounts to is an advocacy of teaching names, dates and places by rote" (Stefan Kanfer).
    4. Of a revelatory or prophetic nature.

You could say the aftermath of the ark sabotage was apocalyptic, whole cities were devastated, the very continent was altered and millions would surely of died. Just because people survived doesn't mean it wasn't apocalyptic, and so post apocalyptic would suit the definition of Defiance.

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosOneX View Post
    Following a large-scale disaster in which civilization has been destroyed or has regressed to a more primitive level; (of a story) having such a setting.
    It's pretty clear that what I consider to be civilization has regressed from the current state. Post-apocalyptic fiction has never required a lack of technology.

Here is the definition of Post-Apocalyptic from the Oxford Dictionary of Science Fiction

Your answer was quite literally staring you in the face the whole time, what I've highlighted is exactly what it is.

'Earth' in this game and/or the show cannot be considered normal due to the fighting and what not that occured, as humans essentially had to band together in order not to be killed off when the SHTF going by the logic of the lore (can't remember the link, but it's knocking about here somewhere). Due to what happened that cannot be considered not to be a large scale disaster as it was almost unpredictable.

You guys are way, way overthinking this. Just go with your gut. Are there ruined buildings everywhere? Do you roam a wasteland scavenging for supplies? Does the game contain raiders wearing football pad style armor? Can you compare the game world to Mad Max? Then yeah it's post apocalyptic.

Saying Borderlands isn't post apocalyptic is like saying Firefly isn't a western... technically you are correct, but also wrong.

The closest Defiance get's to this is the period during the pale wars, but from what I've read and seen in the show, the world has more in common with parts of Europe during WWII than a true Post-Apocalyptic setting. I mean, the EMC was recruiting troops and producing supplies right up until the end of the Pale Wars, when the EMC became the ER.

There is large scale trading, research and even arms production still going on in the world of Defiance. Government is about as developed as the frontier in the American Wild West, but it is there. But you know what, Defiance seems to be lending itself to that. It even calls the area we play in the Bay Area Frontier.

So for all you *******s saying we need bows because this is a Post-Apocalyptic setting, you are wrong. As wrong as Gearbox was in calling borderlands 1 post-apocalyptic.
    it's renaissance. post-post-apocalyptic
    Your Challenger won't drive? You're probably in the passenger seat.
    Can't sell/delete an item? Check all of your loadouts, it's likely still equipped.
    Auction house? Why? It'll just render bits purchased lock boxes pointless, and weapons are mostly equal anyway.
    Gear/enemy progression? No thanks, it'll only render 90% of the content trivial when you reach the highest zone.